Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:34 am
Badge

Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Originally Posted by hevs
I wasn't looking to correct you, i was merely asking a question about "evangelicalism's"

I asked at a look round on Friday at a "Christian College" as to how much emphasis God played in the education of my child.

The response was that because it was a Christian based school they are not allowed to show allegiance to any one faith so the children are taught the Christian moral values IE respect, trust, kindness etc. They are given, within their RE classes instruction of all denominations of faith so they are able to make an informed choice about religion.

This is, to my understanding, vastly different to a Catholic school (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!) I'm with other posters when they said if you don't want to belong to that faith, then don't support it. Also Sand, i agree totally as a parent of a "special" child
Your local Christian College seems OK by my standards then.

I liked RE GCSE - it was pissy easy and it was another ''O level equivalent'' to get.

Always been amused by all the ''Hail Mary'' bizo. Like I said, loved it when the soldiers in a Bridge Too Far said it during the river crossing. Quite often I say it if I think something may go wrong.

Badge

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Actually, thinking about it. My main problem with Catholic schools isn't the comedy bible stuff, it's that for the most part they're single-sex institutions. I left my Catholic secondary school in the fifth year to attend the sixth form at the comprehensive my dad taught at, and I got 3 'U' grades in my A'levels because I spent two years chasing girls like some distressed horny saddo with a perma-erection. I had no idea how to interact and/or behave with the opposite sex and I'd hate to think I'd force my own off-spring down the same road for the sake of a slightly better exam grade.
Having taught in mixed schools, there are plenty of kids that do that anyway!
I went to a single sex school (non religious, it was because we had the 12 plus) and I would have done no work whatsoever if I'd have gone to a mixed school as I was incredibly rebellious and a flirt (reformed of course now!). I was always climbing over the fence, bunking off etc. so it happens irrespective of the type of school IMHO.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:47 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Catholics affirm the basic central doctrines of Christianity. However, there
are a few Catholic traditions that I find significantly different including: The pope, purgatory, prayers to Mary and others to mediate, worshipping Mary, confession to a priest for absolution of sins, Holy water, the Rosary, celibacy of the priesthood and Eucharist of the Mass & transubstantiation.
It seems to me that the biggest fundamental difference, though, between Roman Catholicism and the Protestant and Anglican churches lies in the fact that the Roman Catholic Church has always upheld the view that it and it alone can truly interpret truth and that its adherents must, ultimately, simply accept what the Church says. Protestant and Anglican churches admit of much more freedom for the individual to make his or her own enquiries and to reach conclusions based on those enquiries. They also tend to have fewer dogmas.

PS: I don't think Roman Catholics would say that they worship Mary - they venerate her.

Last edited by CPW; Aug 2nd 2005 at 7:45 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

darwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant future

The main benefit of sending your kid to a Catholic School if you're not Catholic is that they won't end up as some fanatic religious nut. See my blog link below for more on this ....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
It seems to me that the biggest fundamental difference, though, between Roman Catholicism and the Protestant and Anglican churches lies in the fact that the Roman Catholic Church has always upheld the view that it and it alone can truly interpret truth and that its adherents must, ultimately, simply accept what the Church says. Protestant and Anglican churches admit of much more freedom for the individual to make his or her own enquiries and to reach conclusions based on those enquiries. They also tend to have fewer dogmas.

PS: I don't think Roman Catholics would say that they worship Mary - they venerate her.
I think theres a fine line between veneration and idolatory and some cross over but not all.
I think the main difference in Catholicism and Protestantism has to do with the fact that the Protestants have always looked to the bible for truth and Catholics formed additional beliefs and collected other writings (such as the apocraphea). Then there is the raising of the host which is again counter to the bible. Other things include raising the Priesthood over other believers, creating Saints etc. whereas other believers will say that all men are equal in God's eyes, we have all fallen short.
There are moves in Catholicism to return to a more evangelical approach (here I'm referring to believing the bible as the word of God and not talking about evangelism, two similar sounding but different words).
Hmmm it's all a bit complicated and I have to go!
Anyway, I've known quite devout and friendly, balanced catholics, it seems the previous generation was more pious and legalistic perhaps which may account for people's bad experiences.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:26 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Then there is the raising of the host which is again counter to the bible.

So you must be the Fuss Pott!!

However, I think that you'll find the Real Presence in the Eucharist is not 'counter to the bible' . There is just a different interpretation.

Carolyn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Your local Christian College seems OK by my standards then.
Yep, it had a nice feel to it, but please note, it wasn't catholic, if it was i wouldn't have gone for this reason
Thats exactly what i want for my kids. The ability to make their own informed decision. I cant see either of them doing VCE in bible studies though Badge, ya bloody slacker
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:10 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs

I cant see either of them doing VCE in bible studies though Badge, ya bloody slacker
You could maybe get some extra tuition from Pommie League. :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
You could maybe get some extra tuition from Pommie League. :scared:
:scared: I think i'll pass, thanks all the same
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:55 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Larissa
I think theres a fine line between veneration and idolatory and some cross over but not all.
I think the main difference in Catholicism and Protestantism has to do with the fact that the Protestants have always looked to the bible for truth and Catholics formed additional beliefs and collected other writings (such as the apocraphea). Then there is the raising of the host which is again counter to the bible. Other things include raising the Priesthood over other believers, creating Saints etc. whereas other believers will say that all men are equal in God's eyes, we have all fallen short.
There are moves in Catholicism to return to a more evangelical approach (here I'm referring to believing the bible as the word of God and not talking about evangelism, two similar sounding but different words).
Hmmm it's all a bit complicated and I have to go!
Anyway, I've known quite devout and friendly, balanced catholics, it seems the previous generation was more pious and legalistic perhaps which may account for people's bad experiences.
wow I'm impressed. my mother has a degree in theology and she would keep up well with these debates.

I know more than I let on lol

Badge

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NAC

So you must be the Fuss Pott!!
It's self fulfilling prophecy, now I am getting fussier all the time and may spontaneously combust... watch out Perth
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

darwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant future

catholic school girls rule! So said the RHCP.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 5:08 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sme
Could you post the details or pm me as we are looking for catholic schools in Perth and will be coming over in Sept. for Reccie, so would like to plan before hand .
Thanks for your help
Gillian
There are loads of Catholic Schools around Perth, it all depends where you are thinking about living. They are classed as private though so you have to pay a small fee. We paid $800 a year for our daughters school two years ago.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just wondering if there are any??

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J
Not wanting to offend anyone here BUT I was placed into a primary Catholic school here (allbeit in the late 70's) and I HATED it with a passion AND I am a Catholic (though very lapsed these days).

I don't think that there is a place for trying to integrate extensive religious education with orthodox education. Unfortunately, this is the way of the Catholic religion. Now with the new current ultra-conservative Pope taking the helm, I don't see very much reform and progressive change coming about.

I am relaying my own thoughts and experiences because IMHO your child would fare better in a system that keeps the two disciplines apart to a degree that provides far better nurturing for the child's education.

On a personal and subjective level, one the nun's that looked after us was ironically one of the most vindictive and non-compassionate people that I have ever met, to date.

Again, subjective BUT I believe that the Catholic religion is the nearest Western equivalent to Islamic fundamentalism (not neccessarily very close to but closest of the Christian based faiths).
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just wondering if there are any??

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J

our children go to a catholic school but we are catholics. if you're children aren't used to church and religion they might find it all a bit "odd" as they will go to church to celebrate mass regularly, have assembly, visits from priest at school etc etc and of course catholic children will prepare for their First Holy Communion and Confirmation which yours wont. id visit the school first when they have mass perhaps just so you can see what goes on