Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold coast surf rage?

gold coast surf rage?

Old Jan 8th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice
Default gold coast surf rage?

i have been informed by some people that the gold coast suffers with lots of surf rage can anyone give me an idea as to how bad it is in reality
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:54 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold coast surf rage?

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
i have been informed by some people that the gold coast suffers with lots of surf rage can anyone give me an idea as to how bad it is in reality
Yep - apparently the surf can get quite annoyed and I hear this happens on a regular basis.

Sorry - couldn't resit - I know I shouldn't, but who could turn down such a gift??
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
Not aware of it, can't be as bad as driving on the M25 though
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Surfboards at dawn! Lovely image
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You might see a bit of animosity on the really popular breaks in Sydney - but I certainly haven't run into any bad feelings on the 20 odd beaches I've visited. I know this sort of thing isn't unheardof on the big city beaches, but I'm not sure about gold coast. All the surfers I've met have been friendly and helpful and full of advice about the different breaks, rips etc. I think as long as you stick to surfer's etiquetee out the back you'll be right. In fact the only time I've had any grief surfing any break anywhere, was on South Fistral in Cornwall.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Thats a new one on me. I'd be surprised as surfer's tend to get 95% of the beach which gives them plenty of sea to catch the good rips.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
You might see a bit of animosity on the really popular breaks in Sydney - but I certainly haven't run into any bad feelings on the 20 odd beaches I've visited. I know this sort of thing isn't unheardof on the big city beaches, but I'm not sure about gold coast. All the surfers I've met have been friendly and helpful and full of advice about the different breaks, rips etc. I think as long as you stick to surfer's etiquetee out the back you'll be right. In fact the only time I've had any grief surfing any break anywhere, was on South Fistral in Cornwall.
Have you surfed Maroubra? I've heard you'd want to be a bit careful surfing here without permission from the 'Bra Boys.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Have you surfed Maroubra? I've heard you'd want to be a bit careful surfing here without permission from the 'Bra Boys.
Yea, like I said, they might get arsey on the more popular Sydney beaches (wouldn't know - only ever paddled around at Bondi a couple of years ago), but I don't think it's an issue away from there. And like Karen said, most of the beaches are so large and under-visisted elsewhere everyone can find plenty of room to do their own thing.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I totally agree. The most commonly uttered phrase in Newquay is "MY WAVE!!"..
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

What you have to ask those bunch of tits if you can surf
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:54 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
For your health - YES.
Have heard a few stories about people unaware of the rules of 'bra for surfing. Bondipom would probably know more. However I have heard of people going down and asking safe to surf here, anything to watch out for etc and they were usually ok to talk to and will keep any eye on you. The main thing once they are ok with it is to say out of their way(re: surf) though especially if your a novice.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Basically if you don't show "respek" your car could be trashed and they'll throw bricks at you as you catch one of "their" waves.

I've seen photos of peoples smashed up cars with "locals only" and "Get *****ed" sprayed on the side.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Basically if you don't show "respek" your car could be trashed and they'll throw bricks at you as you catch one of "their" waves.

I've seen photos of peoples smashed up cars with "locals only" and "Get *****ed" sprayed on the side.
I saw some of the bra girls on tv when it kicked of in Sydney and they looked like people in their thirties, thinks it's time for them to grow up a bit.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:30 am
(It's not my real name)

I've got to say, I find it hard to fear a gang who name themselves after a piece of women's underwear. 'bra boys, frilly nicker boys, lacy panty lads...