Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

being overweight

being overweight

Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

colinkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default being overweight

hi all iam at least 4-5 stone overweight i am also type 2 diebect (because i fat) my bmi is 35 .
will i fail medical any advice please ,bein tryin to loose weight but i fear i will fail medical and ruin my familys chance of a better life down under as even the kids want to go like i said any advice would be good
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:24 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: being overweight

Originally Posted by colinkaren
hi all iam at least 4-5 stone overweight i am also type 2 diebect (because i fat) my bmi is 35 .
will i fail medical any advice please ,bein tryin to loose weight but i fear i will fail medical and ruin my familys chance of a better life down under as even the kids want to go like i said any advice would be good
depends how well your diabetes is controlled but others in the same situation have passed so dont stress too much
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry can't say if you will fail your medical because you're over weight/diabetic but am interested as you said you've been trying to loose weigh...have you managed to loose much so far? I know it's easier said than done but having a BMI of 35, being diabetic and a parent should be a big reason to try as hard as you can. Unless you're very nearly 44 could you not try to loose some weight before you have your meds? If you really watch what you eat and try to keep active as much as possible (walk to work, play footie with the kids, go for family bike rides etc.) you could easily loose 2 stone in 3 months. It won't cure your diabetes but it would really help control it
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:52 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

:my bmi is 35 .
My BMI was 42 (probably still is ) We got through the medicals. Had to have extra blood tests for cholesterol and glucose. Cholesterol was a little high, blood sugar was fine.

Sorry cant help with the diabetes though.....If its controlled I would have thought you'd be OK

Last edited by MarkMC; Feb 24th 2008 at 9:55 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I've just done medicals for life insurance - and had to do full bloods etc.

I carry a big beer gut and so am overweight quite a lot, but I've always been 'big' even when I was younger and did road race cycling, I couldn't get cycling shorts to fit me.

Anyway. I'm sure my BMI is very high, but by heart rate, cholesterol, sugars, etc were all fine - as good and better than many 'fit' people.

However, the test did show up that my liver has/is taking a bit of a battering from the booze. I see it as a good warning and I'm glad I did it.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

However, the test did show up that my liver has/is taking a bit of a battering from the booze. I see it as a good warning and I'm glad I did it.[/QUOTE]

Me too - routine blood tests showed that on me - so have cut right back on the Alcohol. The weight is falling off in only one week into it....
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

When the Dr asked me how much I drank, I said about 10 beers if I go out to the pub.

So he did a calculation based on Midi's/Pots, to which I replied "No, Schooners".

When he told me how many calories that was - I said "Good, so I've cut down, because in the UK it would have been 10 pints !!!!"
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear

Me too - routine blood tests showed that on me - so have cut right back on the Alcohol. The weight is falling off in only one week into it....
Cutting out alcohol is a really easy way to cut calories - I went through a phase of drinking a couple of glasses every night during the week, more at weekends. I didn't consider myself a heavy drinker, and was rarely 'drunk' but then realised how much I was drinking each week for no particular reason. Bit scary! So I just stopped (being a bit of an all-or-nothing person, one glass is too hard) and slimmed down a bit really quickly just from not drinking!
I've never had any blood tests to test liver function. I hope it would be ok.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi - Like you i was absolutely terrified of failing my medical due to being very overweight - however i passed my medical with a BMI of 39. I had a baby just 3 months prior to the medical (although the post-pregnancy weight was not an excuse as i was very big anyway). However, i did lose some weight prior to the medicals - and the doctor we had was pleased to hear that i was going to continue to try and lose more weight... I also suffer from high blood pressure (so does my partner) but as these were already being controlled by medication the doctor had no concerns about these... As both he and my own GP explained - if Australia did a review of their existing citizens with conditions like Hypertension, Obesity and even Diabetes etc - the number of people with these conditions would be VERY high...many people on this forum have passed their medicals with high BMI's - that figure alone is not an indication of your overall health...
My father is a diabetic - and the only advice i would give is for you to try and lose weight to get your diabetes under control as you really dont want to become insulin dependant at a later stage like he did....
Good luck with the meds....they're not as bad as you envisage them to be!
and if you do get referred for additional blood tests etc - it may give you a little longer to shift a bit more weight prior to having them.....
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Hiye,

I was very overweight also 13 st 8lbs (5ft tall) BMI 37.5 Obese
I have lost 5st 3lbs thanks to these guys www.system10.eu
It is hard going but worth every sacrafice. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 6. BMI is a healthy 23.1

Helena

Last edited by helena39; Feb 25th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't automatically assume it's booze that has caused dodgy liver test results. My doctors blame mine on all the strong painkillers and NSAIDs I had to take over the years so, if you've taken a lot too (even Ibuprofen) they may well have contributed.

OP - you do need to lose weight for your health and your family's sake, but don't do it too fast or you could end up with a sluggish metabolism and even more problems. Sounds like you really need to do it under medical supervision. Best of luck.