Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retirement UK V Aus.... which country looks after retirees better

Retirement UK V Aus.... which country looks after retirees better

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retirement UK V Aus.... which country looks after retirees better

I certainly dont know the answer to this question, but am making enquiries, as I look to the future.

Two major factors seems to tip the balance to the UK, although it could be an assumption on my part... No means tested government pension and the NHS.

So say a couple retires cashes up their super and sells their house, and ends up with 400,000 pounds in liquidity.... can they lob on to UK shores, get a council flat and claim the pension and all the state benefits that the UK has to offer... or is the claim that the UK hands out benefits to all and sundry, arriving on blightys shores a furphy ?

Seems like a tempting option to me... especially if the Hypothetical couple can spend 5 months a year (or whatever legal option it requires to remain a UK pension beneficiary couple) in Aus ?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement UK V Aus.... which country looks after retirees better

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So say a couple retires cashes up their super and sells their house, and ends up with 400,000 pounds in liquidity.... can they lob on to UK shores, get a council flat and claim the pension and all the state benefits that the UK has to offer... or is the claim that the UK hands out benefits to all and sundry, arriving on blightys shores a furphy ?
That is a complete nonsense.....it just does not happen.

The only people who may get accomodation are genuine asylum seekers and refugees.....and that is the same in Australia.

The only people who get benefits are EU taxpayers.....and that applies to Brits in other EU countries as well......don't believe all the crap that you may read on here (although I am sure you don't).

As to which country....I think they are much of a muchness except that pensions in the UK are not means tested.

G
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is a complete nonsense.....it just does not happen.

The only people who may get accomodation are genuine asylum seekers and refugees.....and that is the same in Australia.

The only people who get benefits are EU taxpayers.....and that applies to Brits in other EU countries as well......don't believe all the crap that you may read on here (although I am sure you don't).

As to which country....I think they are much of a muchness except that pensions in the UK are not means tested.

G
And anyone over the age of 60 who would otherwise be homeless - thats standard policy. It may be 55, not sure. It isn't only genuine asylum seekers and refugees who get given homes in the UK, not by a long shot. Anyone from the EU (which lets face it is ever growing) has access to the council lists, as do people who claim to be asylum seekers but aren't, of which the UK has a huge number. That element may be temporary while their application is going through (although that takes a year or two), but they still take up housing.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly dont know the answer to this question, but am making enquiries, as I look to the future.

Two major factors seems to tip the balance to the UK, although it could be an assumption on my part... No means tested government pension and the NHS.

Seems like a tempting option to me... especially if the Hypothetical couple can spend 5 months a year (or whatever legal option it requires to remain a UK pension beneficiary couple) in Aus ?
Dont you have to pay NI contributions in the Uk for 40 odd years to get a pension, dont think you can live in OZ rock up and get a pension, but I could be wrong never really looked into it, just from what I have read on here.

Aussie pensions seem stuffed, the state one is means tested and the invested superannuation seems to be going backwards ( share market linked ) .

So in short will probably be working till I am 93
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont you have to pay NI contributions in the Uk for 40 odd years to get a pension, dont think you can live in OZ rock up and get a pension, but I could be wrong never really looked into it, just from what I have read on here.

Aussie pensions seem stuffed, the state one is means tested and the invested superannuation seems to be going backwards ( share market linked ) .

So in short will probably be working till I am 93
I think you just need the 10 year minimum J I have to pay 3 months contributions I think as a lump sum... If I wanted to take that option... the more options the better in my opinion. BTW My wife wouldnt qualify... so its a bit of a long bow...

I should be that portion of the Government pension better of.... Because I'm sure we wont qualify for the Aussie one on the means test.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note on the pension. The UK pension is contributions tested so if you've not contributed you don't get it. You then have to rely on the means tested income guarantee (i.e. it's a means tested pension).

In your case I suspect that you didn't make many years of contribution before you left so your pension will be probably be means tested if you return to the UK.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you would not get any state benefits, as you have excessive assets/savings
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you just need the 10 year minimum J I have to pay 3 months contributions I think as a lump sum... If I wanted to take that option... the more options the better in my opinion. BTW My wife wouldnt qualify... so its a bit of a long bow...

I should be that portion of the Government pension better of.... Because I'm sure we wont qualify for the Aussie one on the means test.
They've changed the rules recently. You now need 30 years to get a full pension and the minumum is now 1 year's contribution (to get a 1/30th pension).

They are also raising the age at which you get the pension so you'll need to check at what age you will get it.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

MIL gets a state pension and lives in sheltered housing in uk. If you have over £16000 as an individual or £32000 as a couple(I think) you will only get the basic state pension and no claims can be made for rental asistance etc. If you go into a nursing home you are allowed the same amount of savings. Anything more and you will have to pay in full for your care.
So the moral is SPEND SPEND SPEND and enjoy it while you can!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
They've changed the rules recently. You now need 30 years to get a full pension and the minumum is now 1 year's contribution (to get a 1/30th pension).

They are also raising the age at which you get the pension so you'll need to check at what age you will get it.
It could be 67.... Last time I looked you got the base pension after 10 years of contributions, I was in the UK fulltime workforce paying tax for about 9 and 3/4 years... So I beleive people in my situation can pay a top up to receive it. I may be able to keep some assets in Aussie.

I need to find out more about this means test portion though.... Currently there seems to be a loophole maybe, where you can access the government pension in the UK where you wouldn't get that portion in Australia... still its early days yet at least 13 years for the Government pension for me. Although some people leave the public sector at age 55... 25 months away... thats why I'm putting some thought into this area.

I've met a few UK based people of retired age, that spend time each year in Aus... My brothers Mr whippy bloke (Simpson Milton Keynes) did this each year worked the summer in the UK and spend the UK winter over here... seems like an option worth exploring to me.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Which country looks after its pensioners the best?

Difficult one - but don't forget the iniquitous way that the UK pension is frozen when it's paid to an expat in Australia, NZ, South Africa and Canada - but not if he's in the USA, Philippines, EU etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:50 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Your still entitled to your UK State Pension even if you are in Australia with no time constraints. There could be tax implications though - but that's another story!.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Your still entitled to your UK State Pension even if you are in Australia with no time constraints. There could be tax implications though - but that's another story!.
Oh yes of course, hadn't thought of it that way, because most people that complain about not getting the UK pension are having it offset against the Aus state pension, which possibly wont be an issue for me. Wow all the more reason to pay that 3 months of catch up.

Although the tax probably will

Hmm back to the drawing board.... Thanks Ray
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

My friend has just made all the inquiries about this.
At the time of inquiry (about 6 months ago) she was told she had to have worked 11 years in the UK to be eligible for a tiny pension. She would not be entitled to a council house/flat, she would have to buy or rent privately. She would not be entitled to any money from the government.
Also, being as she is an Australian citizen (born in Derbyshire) she would have to 'get back to the end of the queue' in applying to 'emigrate' to the UK
True!
All because she didn't keep her English residency up
She has been in Australia for 39 years.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
My friend has just made all the inquiries about this.
At the time of inquiry (about 6 months ago) she was told she had to have worked 11 years in the UK to be eligible for a tiny pension. She would not be entitled to a council house/flat, she would have to buy or rent privately. She would not be entitled to any money from the government.
Also, being as she is an Australian citizen (born in Derbyshire) she would have to 'get back to the end of the queue' in applying to 'emigrate' to the UK
True!
All because she didn't keep her English residency up
She has been in Australia for 39 years.

Blimey, that would possibly be the case for my wife as well... not to sure.

It's strange you know, because my father worked for Council type organsiations for more than 40 years... He gets a private annuated pension which is probably very close if not higher than the average weekly wage, plus his government old age pension, and my Mothers, plus loads of other benefits, like health care visitors and cleaners etc etc... So I'm not too sure how to work out these these conflicting facts.

He also bought 3 council flats in the late 70's early 80's when they went private... His parents and two of his aunts, whereupon he let them stay at a nominal rent,under a private agreement. He inherited the flats once they passed on, My parents seem to be able to get a lot more government perks than a similiar finanicaly based couple would in Australia ?

It's a shame you have to be elderly to enjoy the wealthiest part of your life.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 23rd 2008 at 4:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.