Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being made redundant

Being made redundant

Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:35 pm
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Being made redundant

found out today i will be out of work by end of september and as we have spent over £2500 so far (only at tra stage) dont want to pull out of moving to oz.The TRA was sent by agent on 26 th july and hoping all is ok.Does anybody no if once tra is ok can you apply from within oz?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice
Default Re: Being made redundant

Originally Posted by jon&kate
found out today i will be out of work by end of september and as we have spent over £2500 so far (only at tra stage) dont want to pull out of moving to oz.The TRA was sent by agent on 26 th july and hoping all is ok.Does anybody no if once tra is ok can you apply from within oz?
Hi I can't help you there, I just wanted to wish you good luck.

Sue
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:55 pm
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue Findlay
Hi I can't help you there, I just wanted to wish you good luck.

Sue
thanx ive never been out of work (two jobs in 16 yrs)have only ever worked as a print machine assistent and the trade is in a bad way and just no jobs about as lots of people in the same boat as me to say im worried is a major understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I do feel for you. The same happened to us (we worked for the same company) and had little notice either, which put an end to our dream of returning to oz, but as you are at the TRA stage, you're a lot further than we were.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but wish you luck in your move and hope everything goes well for you, without much hassle
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be off shore to apply for a 136 skilled independant visa. You also have to be off shore when it is granted.

Your best option would be to speak to an agent about possible other options. If you post your question in the immigration forum you will get more answers.

Good luck
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:23 am
jon&a mp;kate

Originally Posted by WendyC
You have to be off shore to apply for a 136 skilled independant visa. You also have to be off shore when it is granted.

Your best option would be to speak to an agent about possible other options. If you post your question in the immigration forum you will get more answers.

Good luck
It is my wifes brother that is sponsoring us does this make a difference???
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
i think you can apply onshore for the 136-we applied onshore for our 134 recently so i assume it's the same.
i agree that you must be offshore when the visa is granted.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
i think you can apply onshore for the 136-we applied onshore for our 134 recently so i assume it's the same.
i agree that you must be offshore when the visa is granted.

Yes, sorry you are right.

Link for people to check their eligibility here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-location.htm

Jon&Kate

Which visa are you applying for as I don't know the numbers for them all.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:34 am
jon&a mp;kate

Yes, sorry you are right.

Link for people to check their eligibility here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-location.htm

Jon&Kate

Which visa are you applying for as I don't know the numbers for them all.
it is 138 skilled australian sponsered
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it is 138 skilled australian sponsered

Before I start, I just need to tell you that I haven't had time to keep up with the DIMA changes etc, so all this is just what I am reading from the site. It would probably be best to get expert advice from an agent.

Ok, just looked on the DIMA website and the same rules apply for that as the 136. ie: you can put your application in on shore but must go off shore at the time of grant. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-location.htm

However the question now is which visa you will apply for to get into OZ sooner.

Is there any chance your relative may be able to get you an employer sponsership?? This would probably be the easiest way, but try to get a PR visa such as ENS from the outset. That way you wouldn't necessarily need the 138.

If you get offered a 457, then you really need to make yourself farmiliar with the "bad" side of the visa before you decide. These can be found on the following link. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391044 (post 15)

The other option would be to get a temporary position in the UK, doesn't need to be in the same profession but obviously the more money you can earn the better.

All the best with your application, it's tough at the best of times without this added pressure.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 7:07 am
jon&a mp;kate

Before I start, I just need to tell you that I haven't had time to keep up with the DIMA changes etc, so all this is just what I am reading from the site. It would probably be best to get expert advice from an agent.

Ok, just looked on the DIMA website and the same rules apply for that as the 136. ie: you can put your application in on shore but must go off shore at the time of grant. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-location.htm

However the question now is which visa you will apply for to get into OZ sooner.

Is there any chance your relative may be able to get you an employer sponsership?? This would probably be the easiest way, but try to get a PR visa such as ENS from the outset. That way you wouldn't necessarily need the 138.

If you get offered a 457, then you really need to make yourself farmiliar with the "bad" side of the visa before you decide. These can be found on the following link. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391044 (post 15)

The other option would be to get a temporary position in the UK, doesn't need to be in the same profession but obviously the more money you can earn the better.

All the best with your application, it's tough at the best of times without this added pressure.
thanks for that info.where it say you must be offshore when granted?what does this exactly require you to do?Is it just you leave for a short time?Sorry for all the questions but i am all up in the air at the moment.Praps a six month visit to see the wifes brother would be a good idea as at least we would save money on living costs.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 7:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You can be offshore or onshore when submitting a general skilled visa application, but must be offshore at the time of visa grant - more info is here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/faqs.cfm#04

Best regards.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks for that info.where it say you must be offshore when granted?what does this exactly require you to do?Is it just you leave for a short time?Sorry for all the questions but i am all up in the air at the moment.Praps a six month visit to see the wifes brother would be a good idea as at least we would save money on living costs.

See Alans links for some very good info from a top agent.

Offshore means you need to be outside Oz when visa is granted, so if you were in Oz then you'd (all family) would have to go to maybe NZ for the visa to be granted and evidenced. So that'd mean a week or two's holiday.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Its good to see you back working on all cylinders Wend ! be it over here now!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:14 am
jon&a mp;kate

Originally Posted by SBUK
Its good to see you back working on all cylinders Wend ! be it over here now!
Thanks wendy and everyone else for your advice.The hardest thing about me losing my job is that i am also the Union rep at work and for the next 23 days i will be in meetings trying to save other peoples jobs knowing it will not save mine.