Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beheaded snake bites man!

Beheaded snake bites man!

Old Jan 28th 2003, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beheaded snake bites man!

:scared:

Like you need reminding about all the dangerous snakes over here......... anyway news item this morning showed a man in Brisbane recovering from a snake bite - he was gardening when a deadly brown snake slithered out from under a bush, he cleanly sliced off its head with his shovel, picked up the tail end and put it in the bin. Came back for the head and it bit him! He just managed to stagger indoors to tell his wife before collapsing and was close to death when the paramedics arrived. Gross!!

Last edited by Jacqui; Jan 28th 2003 at 1:27 am.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 1:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Beheaded snake bites man!

Originally posted by Jacqui
:scared:

Like you need reminding about all the dangerous snakes over here......... anyway news item this morning showed a man in Brisbane recovering from a snake bite - he was gardening when a deadly brown snake slithered out from under a bush, he cleanly sliced off its head with his shovel, picked up the tail end and put it in the bin. Came back for the head and it bit him! He just managed to stagger indoors to tell his wife before collapsing and was close to death when the paramedics arrived. Gross!!
I saw that on the news last night, I didn't think it was in Brisbane though (?) . This has happened a few times.

A snake head can remain dangerous for around 50 minutes after being severed, not a lot people seem to realise this, I've read it in a few of my wildlife//nature books. There has been studies on this in America they tested rattlesnakes and the body's heart would beat for around an hour, the head bit remained dangerous for about the same amount of time 50minutes to an hour . I think the last one which I heard about in Aus occured in NT in the 70's, a woman got bitten by the head of a snake after chopping it up.

I've also read that most snakebites in Aus (around 90 something per cent) are caused by people attacking the snake with a garden rake etc, the other tiny per cent are by bushwalkers etc putting their foot on top of the snake... so most of the bites which do occur here are avoidable. Just leave snakes well alone or phone the snake catches/wildlife rescue if you need to get rid of it.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 28th 2003 at 6:02 am.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

lucinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re beheaded snake bites man

I cried laughing...only in Aus!!
and his wife said that if he did it again (AS IF!!!)
... then SHE'd kill him!!!! poor old bloke!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2003, 10:08 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I've changed my mind about moving to Adelaide now, I think I'll move next door to Steve Irwin for safety !

Steve.