Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

from the begining

from the begining

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 3:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: from the begining

Originally Posted by anne&ralph
Thanks for the informaion and I will try and bring the medicals forward but i think that was the doctors earliest time for 3 people, 5th May.
Is there a form that can be downloaded for the stat decs so I can give them to people to just complete or is just a letter enough (does it need to be signed by solicitor) because I cannot imagine my ex husband writng a letter let alone spending time getting it signed by a solicitor.
I thought that maybe because of their ages it would be a problem not easier because of it.
Thanks for any info you can forward
Anne
A letter should be fine. Worked for me. You will still need the 888's for the Aussie people.

The ex hubby issue may be fine depending on access arrangements etc. DIMIA will need proof that he is ok with you taking the "children" to Australia. Because of their ages, apart from the elder one nearly being 18, they are obviously able to state their feelings and there is less of an issue with access. So many people have had nightmare times when the ex has refused to let children out of country whether he or she sees the children or not.

If the meds are for 5th May and you have everything else in place by then and get the application off just after, you should still get the visa by beginning of June providing i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Can't help any more with the ex hubby and kids bit, but any other info re spouse visa just shout.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 3:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
This post is very interesting.

I have a couple of work colleagues, they are married - his is Australian she is british. They met in Hong Kong and married about 5 years ago.

Since leaving Hong Kong they have made their home in UK, both work for the same organisation. They have a 2 year old daughter, and wife is now pregnant again.

He has very recently left to go back to WA to work on the family farm whilst his wife has been charged with the duties of finishing her work, selling the house etc etc.

She will fly out to join him as soon as the house is sold, but well before the baby is due. (They may rent out their house if not sold beforehand).

Once she is in Australia, he said they will front up and apply for her PR - I don't think they even considered that they should apply beforehand or that there would be any problems applying once in Australia. They also want to apply for citizenship for the children from Australia not UK.

My query is - will they run into any problems?

Blossom

It sounds like they've already created problems for themselves.

The *right* way to move to Australia is with a spouse visa and these are easy to obtain in the UK.

Trying to go as a tourist and change status onshore is complex. To begin with there's the risk of being refused entry on arrival (tourist status is for those intending to *visit* not move ... ), being stuck on tourist conditions until the spouse visa is granted, and a total mess if you let yourself become unlawful by not applying for a new visa on time. Or if you try and extend tourist status onshore and get a no further stay condition.

Agents regularly see the horror stories - usually the problems can be fixed but rarely can they be fixed easily or cheaply.

Applying for a spouse visa now may not get her to Australia before the child is born as they normally require a medical/xray which does not go well with pregnancy.

The 2 year old daughter should be registered as an Australian citizen by descent. This can be done at the AHC London. Same will apply for the second child if it's also born outside Australia.

If the father is Australian by descent and has not lived in Australia for 2 years , then there will be citizenship complications for the children unless they are born in Australia.

Both should also have British passports.

The best thing I can suggest for your friends is to contact an experienced agent in the UK for advice, for example, Ian Harrop - http://www.ianharrop.co.uk

And the father ought to see if he still meets the residence requirement for British citizenship by visiting http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

If he's eligible he can still apply through the British High Commission in Australia who will forward it to the Home Office in the UK. It's compulsory to apply in this way if in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

anne&ralph is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: from the begining

Originally Posted by floss
I'm at the same stage as you so can tell you what I am doing - the result of research & advice, lots of which came from here!

Just to let you know - I've been married to an Australian for 12 years & we have 3 children, all of whom have Aussie citizenship by descent.

I am sending:
my form

my husband's sponsorship form.

2 Statutory Declaration by friends i.e. witnessed & signed by a solicitor.

Certified copies (signed by solicitor) of my birth certificate and passport, my husband's birth certificate, our wedding certificate, our 3 children's birth certificates and citizenship certificates, and my university degree certificate.

A letter signed by hubby & me, saying when & where we met etc (!)

Originals (although I'm sure copies would be okay) of a letter from our mortgage company and from our bank saying we have had joint accounts for ages.

Letters from Hubby and my work saying we have worked there for x number of years.

The original of my police clearance letter.

The photos - 4 of me, 2 of him.

And my passport - been advised to be cheeky.

I cannot include my medical forms although some people do - my medical is booked for this next week but doctors will only deliver completed documents & x-ray direct to Embassy.

I think this is all (!?!) - hope it helps. Can't advise on your children, but I do suggest you post a thread asking for advice specifically on this - I have been amazed at all the help that come flooding in.... wish I'd discovered the forum a year ago - might not have as many grey hairs.

Good luck with your applications - do come back with anything you think I have missed out, 'cos I may have!!!!!
Thankyou so much
This has helped loads,you have answered alot of questions. I am so pleased I found this site.
I wish you well
Anne
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

anne&ralph is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Anne,
I assume you're going for a spouse visa then? If this is the case, do not worry, they're very straight forward and with the length of time you've been together you'll get PR straight-away.
You need to front-load to get the quickest result, so you are right in getting your police checks and medicals done now. Are you not able to get your medical done any earlier than May, you can go to any DIMIA approved doctor - don't forget to get and fill out the forms before you go though!

Forms 40sp & 47SP are your main two, and then you need to read Booklet One for information on exactly what you need to send in. I found the longest part of mine was waiting on Stat Decs from friends/family, so if you haven't already requested them, do so!

If you get moving, and have no medical or police check problems you should be fine with the June deadline. See page 18 for dependent requirements in booklet one - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf
Thankyou
Everything is looking a bit easier now
Thanks
Anne
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:06 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by JAJ
It sounds like they've already created problems for themselves.

The *right* way to move to Australia is with a spouse visa and these are easy to obtain in the UK.

Trying to go as a tourist and change status onshore is complex. To begin with there's the risk of being refused entry on arrival (tourist status is for those intending to *visit* not move ... ), being stuck on tourist conditions until the spouse visa is granted, and a total mess if you let yourself become unlawful by not applying for a new visa on time. Or if you try and extend tourist status onshore and get a no further stay condition.

Agents regularly see the horror stories - usually the problems can be fixed but rarely can they be fixed easily or cheaply.

Applying for a spouse visa now may not get her to Australia before the child is born as they normally require a medical/xray which does not go well with pregnancy.

The 2 year old daughter should be registered as an Australian citizen by descent. This can be done at the AHC London. Same will apply for the second child if it's also born outside Australia.

If the father is Australian by descent and has not lived in Australia for 2 years , then there will be citizenship complications for the children unless they are born in Australia.

Both should also have British passports.

The best thing I can suggest for your friends is to contact an experienced agent in the UK for advice, for example, Ian Harrop - http://www.ianharrop.co.uk

And the father ought to see if he still meets the residence requirement for British citizenship by visiting http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

If he's eligible he can still apply through the British High Commission in Australia who will forward it to the Home Office in the UK. It's compulsory to apply in this way if in Australia.

Jeremy
Many thanks for your comments, I shall speak to her tomorrow and hopefully she will be able to get wheels in motion to do this properly. A bit difficult now seeing as her husband (born in Australia) is now back there working on the family farm.

Blossom

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:14 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thankyou
Everything is looking a bit easier now
Thanks
Anne

No probs - one thing I did think of, was to check with your doc's how they handle the meds. Some will give you the results, others insist on sending them straight to London AHC. If your's are the latter, one thing to do to speed up your appplication is to send your forms etc off as soon as they are ready, you are usually issued with a case file number quite quickly, this number can then be put on to your med forms so when they are sent off, they're matched up quite quickly. Conversely my meds were sent off separately with no case number on them, and were matched up anyway. If you go this option, just make a covering letter explaining meds should be there by (about) mid-May and the rest of your app should be reviewed without waiting for them.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
No probs - one thing I did think of, was to check with your doc's how they handle the meds. Some will give you the results, others insist on sending them straight to London AHC.
Since either December or beginning of March, the doctor now HAS to send them to AHC. Can no longer send back to applicant.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

syltgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for future reference - when you get to the stage, which I am sure you will - selling houses - do not tell your estate agent that you are emigrating - what happens it filters though to the buyer they offer a price and they know you need to move and hey, they drop the price just before the contract by a few grand - nice.... just something I heard be very careful.
Good Luck!
Syltgirl
Hi Everyone,
This is my first posting.
We are just starting on the visa path and haven't actually posted it yet as all the info we have managed to collect seems to get more complicated. I am hoping someone can help us. My Husband is an Aussie and we have been living together for 6 years, married for 18 months. We are trying to arrange things without an agent so even more confused.
We have sent off for our police checks and have our medicals in May is the the right way around this? I have 2 children 16 and 17 (18) in June from a previous marriage we want to know if this could prove a problem as he will be 18 before we get the visa (I think)
Do we need to collect all the info first before we send in the application form and does everything need to be signed by a solicitor (statements,birth cets,bills etc)
As you can tell we need help, anything else we need to know as we are panicking because of June Bithday
Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by floss
It is worth looking into issue of the children's nationality - I was told years ago to apply for British citizenship and passports for mine, and THEN Australian. Aussie's apparently happy with dual nationality and having 2 passport but British less so. May all be wrong but something to look into if they think they may want the children to have British passports later on?
I have Aussie, New Zealand and British Citizenship. I did not find any problems when applying for brit citizenship. I am australian born with NZ parents. The UK passport office did ask which other passports I had and their number, but that's all!