Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beer to drink or not to drink!!!!!!!!

Beer to drink or not to drink!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 6th 2003, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beer to drink or not to drink!!!!!!!!

Last night at a pub (never been to before) hubby got a pint of beer (black bear) it had no head on it just a thin line of froth.

I said to the barman this is flat he said no it i'snt some beers are a heavy beer and dont get a head on them?????????

I said no self respecting Englishman would drink it he said not true all my English customers do???????????
Who is right .......?????
Old Sep 6th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beer to drink or not to drink!!!!!!!!

Who is right .......????? [/QUOTE]

ahhh real ale

nothing better

arlene
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:16 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

The landlord is right!!!!:scared:

Unless you don't want to drink there anymore .... then you can tell everyone you were right
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:45 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Im drinking a pint of old speckled hen at the mo, and its no head. Proper ales don't.

Gonna miss proper beer
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:48 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

old speckled hen
is that the one named after a rare car- if so can get it in bottles -certainly in NSW.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by seang
is that the one named after a rare car- if so can get it in bottles -certainly in NSW.

fantastic real ale old speckled hen bit potent though

arlene
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:52 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by seang
Thats the stuff. Named after an old MG. Brewed in Suffolk i believe.

Thanks for that mate You just brightened my day !
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:56 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

You just brightened my day
yeah but its the "morning after" that you have to watch out for.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mmm old peculiar and black sheep, maybe even a hook nortons thrown in for good measure

arlene
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brisbec
The landlord is right!!!!:scared:

Unless you don't want to drink there anymore .... then you can tell everyone you were right

Hubby not talking to me he wont go back to the pub..... I'm hitting all bases.........
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:30 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Give me a pint (or three) of Stella Artois any day. Love those additives n chemicals......a drink that puts hairs on your chest................'n' palms (!)
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:34 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Two words!
ABBOTT ALE
god I'm gonna miss that stuff!
Old Sep 7th 2003, 1:39 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Thats the stuff. Named after an old MG. Brewed in Suffolk i believe.

Thanks for that mate You just brightened my day !
There is not much that makes me homesick - but talking about real ale usually does it.

OSH - originally by Morland of Abingdon - Morland taken over by Greene King so it is now brewed by them. It is available here. I know of a pub in Balmain where it is on tap and there is one here in Brisbane too. Also, you can get it in bottles (smaller than the UK bottles) at a few places.
If you like OSH, then I recommend James Squires Amber Ale - very similar and not quite so expensive as it is an Aussie ale.
The other Squires ales are good and so is everything I have tried from Coopers (the vintage is 7% and gorgeous - but not available all the time).
Coopers also do home brew kits - I brew my own Coopers bitter and Coopers Real Ale.

Hmmmmmmm beeer!
Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I had old speckled in Auckland last weekend. Probably the highlight of my trip.

Squires and Coopers are good here. The Squires IPA was a very welcome addition.