Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

qantas or singapore?

qantas or singapore?

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default qantas or singapore?

whats the best airline to fly with and possible the cheapest to use to fly to australia?

Is it singapore or qantas?

Im trying to get info from quantas about flights and booking etc and im not very impressed so far by phone im being told one thing and my email i am being told different and im very puzzled as to what or who to beleive.

the emails are coming from australia and the calls are being made in the uk so who will know better the emails from internet or sales people at qantas by phone.

the problem im having is i plan to fly to melbourne in 29th jan 2004 and return 12 months later about 28th jan 2005 as i cannot book my return as far ahead as 2005 i need to be able to change my return date as i can only get right now until 1 august 2004 as thats as far as they go right now.

and as i plan to be there much longer i need the option to be able to change my date to a later date when i get over there or before i go by letting them know.

but im being told on some airfares i cannot do this and others i can as like everyone else i am trying to get the best deal and possible the cheapest return out there but with options of change flight.

but i just keep getting told from different people by emails and phone different things and the rules, i just wonder if this is the hassle i am having trying to book a flight that would apply to me whats the hassle i will have trying to changes dates.

i have phoned qantas twice by phone in uk and twice to a travel agent in uk and also many emails from qantas from australia and im being told different thing all the time.

this is annoying me a bit and im thinking of looking at other airlines but as i have been with qantas before i wanted to stay with them as i did not fault them last time.

but i have never used singapore airlines so not sure what they are like.

if someone could give some info on the above it would be a great help
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

John and Sandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brian w
Singapore airlines everytime - why? Costs, service pleasant attitude of the staff who are immaculately turned out, on aircraft facilities i.e. screens in the headrests for watching films and playing games. Good food and costs. Did i mention the service and the costs. Great place for a stopover as well, even Singapore airport is the best in the world!!

John and sandra.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:23 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: qantas or singapore?

Have you explored one-way with restrictions?

The return ticket you propose will have to be with no restrictions to allow for the change of dates etc. Such tickets are more expensive.

You may be better off getting a one-way with restrictions and holding on to the extra money yourself. Then get another cheap restricted one-way to return when you know what your return date is.

Is there a reason you need a return ticket?

Chris.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by Chris H-L
Have you explored one-way with restrictions?

The return ticket you propose will have to be with no restrictions to allow for the change of dates etc. Such tickets are more expensive.

You may be better off getting a one-way with restrictions and holding on to the extra money yourself. Then get another cheap restricted one-way to return when you know what your return date is.

Is there a reason you need a return ticket?

Chris.
yes it works out more expensive getting two one way tickets than a return.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:37 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brian.w
yes it works out more expensive getting two one way tickets than a return.
But how much more expensive?
Is the difference worth the hassle?

It sounds like you're having a bit of a 'mare sorting it out.
That sort of hassle must be worth at least a couple of hundred quid especially when you consider that it's spread over a year or more.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:49 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend only used to fly Qantas (think its an Australian thing).

But she arrived back in England yesterday after travelling for the first time with Singapore Airlines.

Her exact words were:

"I'm never using Qantas again campared to SA they are c*$p"

I have only ever been to Oz once and used SA and cannot fault them on anything.

Cheers

TT

whats the best airline to fly with and possible the cheapest to use to fly to australia?

Im trying to get info from quantas about flights and booking etc and im not very impressed so far by phone im being told one thing and my email i am being told different and im very puzzled as to what or who to beleive.

the emails are coming from australia and the calls are being made in the uk so who will know better the emails from internet or sales people at qantas by phone.

the problem im having is i plan to fly to melbourne in 29th jan 2004 and return 12 months later about 28th jan 2005 as i cannot book my return as far ahead as 2005 i need to be able to change my return date as i can only get right now until 1 august 2004 as thats as far as they go right now.

and as i plan to be there much longer i need the option to be able to change my date to a later date when i get over there or before i go by letting them know.

but im being told on some airfares i cannot do this and others i can as like everyone else i am trying to get the best deal and possible the cheapest return out there but with options of change flight.

but i just keep getting told from different people by emails and phone different things and the rules, i just wonder if this is the hassle i am having trying to book a flight that would apply to me whats the hassle i will have trying to changes dates.

i have phoned qantas twice by phone in uk and twice to a travel agent in uk and also many emails from qantas from australia and im being told different thing all the time.

this is annoying me a bit and im thinking of looking at other airlines but as i have been with qantas before i wanted to stay with them as i did not fault them last time.

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:46 am
tennisoz

Hi

I have flown Qantas twice and Singapore twice and if forced to choose between them I would pick Singapore (this from an Aussie!). We found the service excellent with Singapore but the food got monotonous if you don't like spicy oriental, the cabin air quality was poor and the seat pitch isn't great.

However, I would fly Emirates rather than any other airline having done this 4 times. Emirates has slightly larger seat pitch, much better cabin air quality, excellent food and the bonus of stopping in Dubai airport which is second best to Changi, Singapore. You also don't have a huge 12 or 13 hour flight to Singapore like with S'pore Airlines, breaking the journey into 3 sectors of about 7 hours each. Emirates every time for me!

I always get the cheap fares (ie in the £500's return, sometimes £499) and they have always had an option to change the return date for a small fee (£25 or £50 from memory). The only drawback is that you often have to pay in full rather than deposit first and balance closer to the time if that is a problem.

My suggestion would be to book a return ticket with the latest inward date available and change it when you are in Oz and pay the small fee. Obviously you would have to make sure that the ticket you have permits this change.

It might seem a silly question but why are you dealing with the airline or travel agent and not through Quest, Travelbag or one of these? They sell the tickets as cheaply as anyone so I wouldn't go through the airline. Let your agent do all the work for you!! I used Quest, York branch recently and their agent was brilliant.

I can recommend a Singapore stopover but don't pick the Golden Landmark Hotel as we did!

Good Luck

TennisOz

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free Booze

One important aspect everyone is missing is the frequency of the drinks trolley. I am not 54 beers Boonie but the only way to enjoy and sleep on the flight is to get wasted. The only way to do that is to have frequent supplies of booze and water. Quantas managed only one round on the 3 hour flight to Auckland.

The service was grumpy when asking for more wine. Singapore was better but it felt like they were rationing the drink by pouring into small glasses. BA's service has always been mixed but still supplies about enough.

Anyone flown JAL recently? Apparently they have seat back TVs and put you up for a night Syd to Lon. I am flying in October.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Hi - do you have a contact number for Crest in York and the name of the person that you recommended.
Cheers

Originally posted by tennisoz
Hi

I have flown Qantas twice and Singapore twice and if forced to choose between them I would pick Singapore (this from an Aussie!). We found the service excellent with Singapore but the food got monotonous if you don't like spicy oriental, the cabin air quality was poor and the seat pitch isn't great.

However, I would fly Emirates rather than any other airline having done this 4 times. Emirates has slightly larger seat pitch, much better cabin air quality, excellent food and the bonus of stopping in Dubai airport which is second best to Changi, Singapore. You also don't have a huge 12 or 13 hour flight to Singapore like with S'pore Airlines, breaking the journey into 3 sectors of about 7 hours each. Emirates every time for me!

I always get the cheap fares (ie in the £500's return, sometimes £499) and they have always had an option to change the return date for a small fee (£25 or £50 from memory). The only drawback is that you often have to pay in full rather than deposit first and balance closer to the time if that is a problem.

My suggestion would be to book a return ticket with the latest inward date available and change it when you are in Oz and pay the small fee. Obviously you would have to make sure that the ticket you have permits this change.

It might seem a silly question but why are you dealing with the airline or travel agent and not through Quest, Travelbag or one of these? They sell the tickets as cheaply as anyone so I wouldn't go through the airline. Let your agent do all the work for you!! I used Quest, York branch recently and their agent was brilliant.

I can recommend a Singapore stopover but don't pick the Golden Landmark Hotel as we did!

Good Luck

TennisOz
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:57 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Never fly Quantas....

Main reason?

You will probably be flying British Airways for the leg to Singapore, and BA is conclusivly the worst airline i have ever had the misfortune to travel with. Cramped, dirty, expensive and the rudist staff i have ever encountered.

Fly Singapore, Malasian, Cathay Pacific or Emirates.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

well thanks everyone for there advise but in the end i went for qantas its now booked but after a lot of questions i wanted answered.

who knows maybe i will try singapore airlines one day
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:03 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: qantas or singapore?

Brian
Singapore airlines are best by a Mile. Emirates are also supposed to be excellent.
Suggest you look at www.flightcentre.co.uk for the cheapest flights. Also look at www.travelbag.co.uk. They have great deals from time to time.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Just when you thought BA could not get worse BA's computer's crash.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 4:29 am
Just Joined

britdan is an unknown quantity at this point

I've flown with Qantas once, and Singapore several times.

Qantas = 1970's old beaten up beetle

Singapore = Plush new Mercedes with luxury

Also a fact. Singapore are in the Elite group of airlines, just ask any travel agent.