Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been in Northern subs 4 8month, thinking of moving to Madora Bay.

been in Northern subs 4 8month, thinking of moving to Madora Bay.

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Jan Perth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default been in Northern subs 4 8month, thinking of moving to Madora Bay.

Hiya,
I used to practically live on this website prior to emigrating 8 months ago, since then never had the time. Posting to get some advice on Madora Bay. When we did our Rekki 2 years ago we loved this place, but everyone said it was too far away and isolated. However having lived in the northern subs near Joondalup for the past 8months I'm wondering what I am actually near to here??
We have three boys aged 8,5 and 3yrs and feel awful about moving them yet again but we feel Madora Bay is the place for us, anyone got any info or experience of living down there. Info about schools and the suburb wud be great, has it young families there?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been in Northern subs 4 8month, thinking of moving to Madora Bay.

Originally Posted by Jan Perth
Hiya,
I used to practically live on this website prior to emigrating 8 months ago, since then never had the time. Posting to get some advice on Madora Bay. When we did our Rekki 2 years ago we loved this place, but everyone said it was too far away and isolated. However having lived in the northern subs near Joondalup for the past 8months I'm wondering what I am actually near to here??
We have three boys aged 8,5 and 3yrs and feel awful about moving them yet again but we feel Madora Bay is the place for us, anyone got any info or experience of living down there. Info about schools and the suburb wud be great, has it young families there?
Hi Jan

It is possible that you could go to all the trouble of moving, only to find yourself in a southern suburbs version of where you already are. Something that seems to come up fairly often is dissatisfaction with schools in the Rockingham, Mandurah & Secret Harbour areas. Have a look for some posts on schools in those places. There are many happy there, too.

What is it that you don't like about where you are now? Perhaps us NOR residents can point you in the right direction if you give us a few more details.

Last edited by HelenTD; Aug 23rd 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Dont get me wrong I do like the North and the boys school is great. But where we want to be ie closer to the beach is just unaffordable here. I know what you are saying and believe me at the min Im so confused myself too..To be honest think we bought too soon and now I feel trapped and am not happy in the suburb im in. Where are you living. By the way the people here are lovely too and we have met lots of people.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan, have sent you a pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:08 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan Perth
Hiya,
We live in Lakelands which is across the road from Madora Bay. We love it and don't feel isolated at all. There is a good train service if you want to go to the city and by car you're only about 45 mins to an hour from the city. Can't comment on the schools for the ages you require. We have been here 2 and a half years now and love it. SOR is not for everyone, but NOR is most definitely not for us.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:31 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi Jan

Something that seems to come up fairly often is dissatisfaction with schools in the Rockingham, Mandurah & Secret Harbour areas.

???
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chelle66
We live in Lakelands which is across the road from Madora Bay. We love it and don't feel isolated at all. There is a good train service if you want to go to the city and by car you're only about 45 mins to an hour from the city. Can't comment on the schools for the ages you require. We have been here 2 and a half years now and love it. SOR is not for everyone, but NOR is most definitely not for us.
thanks for that looked at lakelands too, but we always loved madora bay. I need to research the schools now as thats so important too us, so if anyone has any experience of the schools liked to madora please post.
Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:50 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Mandurah Baptist supposed to be good, but private and a lengthy wait list.

Open day 10am 11th Sept
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you go the My Schools website, it will give you some info on schools in that area: http://www.myschool.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx. It doesn't tell the whole story, though, so it would be good to get more info from those who live in the area. PoppetUK and Evelin might be able to help.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

joandpete is an unknown quantity at this point

my oldest boy is at mandurah baptist college, and it is a great school. unfortunatley my 11 year old wont have a place there until he starts year 8, so he go's to North Mandurah Primary for now. This is the only state school in this area until the one in Meadow Springs is built next year ( due to start in Jan 2011)
North Mandurah Primary is not that good if you want your kids to challenged, but it is a very friendly school, and my son is quite happy there untill he can start at the Baptist college. He's one of only two English kids in his year.
The Baptist college is just opening a sister school up not far away. i think its at Austin Cove, only taking the little ones at the moment, that would only be a 10 min drive from madora. There is also a private school opposite Peel Hospital that friends of ours in madora take thier boy to.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:46 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I agree with the comments regarding schooling in the Mandurah area. You can get away with state schooling for primary, but you really need a private one for high school. You have the Baptist College, Catholic College, Fredrick Irwin and Foundation Christian College. As another poster said, you also have Austin Cove, but you would be looking at closer to 15-20 mins, rather than 10! My son has a place at that school, but has just been accepted for MCC, so he will be going there instead.

People go on about the enormous waiting lists for private, but we only applied to Mandurah Catholic College this May, and he got accepted last month - we are not Catholic.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:12 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=joandpete;8800798]my oldest boy is at mandurah baptist college, and it is a great school.

What year is your son in? My daughter and son are both there