Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here six months

Been here six months

Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Talking Been here six months

It feels like a milestone to me so I thought I would share it.

I have been feeling a tad homesick recently. It is definitely true it comes on at 6 months. I am not too bad, just feeling nostalgic for the autumn in the UK. It is one of my fave times of the year. I suppose the only thing is to sit it out and wait for those feelings to lesson. We are going away to Burleigh Heads next week, which I am so looking forward to, so hopefully that will help.

We have extended the lease on our rental house for a year. The house is great and I feel settled and at home. Which for a person who has moved about so much in the last few years feels brilliant. It is nice to feel I want to stay somewhere rather than looking for the next place to move to.

Katie
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Been here six months

Autumn is a nice time of year - but if you're missing it just picture is lagging it down with rain non stop and then look out on a gorgeous brisbane spring day and listen to the birds and you won't miss it so much!
I've been here just over a year - love it but it makes you appreciate things in the UK so much that you never dreamt you'd miss.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:06 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar

I have been feeling a tad homesick recently. It is definitely true it comes on at 6 months. I am not too bad, just feeling nostalgic for the autumn in the UK. It is one of my fave times of the year. I suppose the only thing is to sit it out and wait for those feelings to lesson. We are going away to Burleigh Heads next week, which I am so looking forward to, so hopefully that will help.

We have extended the lease on our rental house for a year. The house is great and I feel settled and at home. Which for a person who has moved about so much in the last few years feels brilliant. It is nice to feel I want to stay somewhere rather than looking for the next place to move to.

Katie
Katie it is lovely in Autumn in UK ......but remember the clocks are now going back so it's getting darker and the days are getting shorter, like Jayne says it's going to start raining non stop [especially bonfire night..lol]...and then you've got the snow in a few months. All this is not condusive to taking a littleun outside and you soon get "cabin fever" from staying indoors to keep warm

You are bound to miss people and things from UK. You can't live there the best part of your life and then wipe all the memories and feeling of familiarity away overnight.

Maybe you need a good nigt out with the hubby?..or some friends?

Looking after a littleun is hard work. Hardest work I've ever done anyway

Hope you are feeling better soon and keep your chin up
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JayneS
Autumn is a nice time of year - but if you're missing it just picture is lagging it down with rain non stop and then look out on a gorgeous brisbane spring day and listen to the birds and you won't miss it so much!
I've been here just over a year - love it but it makes you appreciate things in the UK so much that you never dreamt you'd miss.
That is so true ta
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Katie it is lovely in Autumn in UK ......but remember the clocks are now going back so it's getting darker and the days are getting shorter, like Jayne says it's going to start raining non stop [especially bonfire night..lol]...and then you've got the snow in a few months. All this is not condusive to taking a littleun outside and you soon get "cabin fever" from staying indoors to keep warm

You are bound to miss people and things from UK. You can't live there the best part of your life and then wipe all the memories and feeling of familiarity away overnight.

Maybe you need a good nigt out with the hubby?..or some friends?

Looking after a littleun is hard work. Hardest work I've ever done anyway

Hope you are feeling better soon and keep your chin up
Thanks very much. It is the hardest work I have ever done too Giving birth was just the start of it.

I have been getting cabin fever just these last two days as I have felt it is just too hot to take him outside. I suppose that is what has made my homesickness worse. Having said that it is fine outside at the mo.Warm and humid but not too hot. I was feeling at least in the UK I could wrap him up and take him out,but there is no way I would risk him in 36 degrees tomorrow.

Thanks again you tend to remember things with rose tinted specs
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:29 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much. It is the hardest work I have ever done too Giving birth was just the start of it.

I have been getting cabin fever just these last two days as I have felt it is just too hot to take him outside. I suppose that is what has made my homesickness worse. Having said that it is fine outside at the mo.Warm and humid but not too hot. I was feeling at least in the UK I could wrap him up and take him out,but there is no way I would risk him in 36 degrees tomorrow.

You're right about giving birth being the start. And it never finishes either...lol [but it's worth it ]

I have a friend who lives your way, she posts on the Bayside site and also has a little boy [he's just over a year]...she goes to a playgroup and is always out and about with other mums. She is a lovely, lovely person Katie....and I'm sure you would get on. If you'd like some company with other mums and toddlrs or you'd like to get out and about more, then PM me your details and I can put you in touch. I'll leave it to you

Take care and keep your chin up....you are made of sturdy stuff girl.... I've read your posts
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
You're right about giving birth being the start. And it never finishes either...lol [but it's worth it ]

I have a friend who lives your way, she posts on the Bayside site and also has a little boy [he's just over a year]...she goes to a playgroup and is always out and about with other mums. She is a lovely, lovely person Katie....and I'm sure you would get on. If you'd like some company with other mums and toddlrs or you'd like to get out and about more, then PM me your details and I can put you in touch. I'll leave it to you

Take care and keep your chin up....you are made of sturdy stuff girl.... I've read your posts
Thanks very much. That would be great, you can never have too many friends I think, only problem is I don't drive so aren't very mobile. I am in the north side, Bayside is south side. I will pm you my email addie and if you can pass that onto her it would be nice to have a chat to her.

Thanks again
Katie
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Cabin fever, tell me about it. The wife refuses to go outside now because of the heat and mossies (oh and soon it will be flys too). The only safe mossie free time to go out is from 11 to 3 and this means its too hot for the baby to go out with her. Give me sub zero UK anytime at least you can put a jumper on and get a brolly. Here in the heat with the baby and no friends or family she is stuck inside with just me for company.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by arkon
Cabin fever, tell me about it. The wife refuses to go outside now because of the heat and mossies (oh and soon it will be flys too). The only safe mossie free time to go out is from 11 to 3 and this means its too hot for the baby to go out with her. Give me sub zero UK anytime at least you can put a jumper on and get a brolly. Here in the heat with the baby and no friends or family she is stuck inside with just me for company.
I can sympathise with her. If she wants someone to chat to she can always pm me, we can swap baby stories.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I can sympathise with her. If she wants someone to chat to she can always pm me, we can swap baby stories.
Thanks I'll tell her. It looks like the babies are exactly the same age too!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

You ain't missing nowt.

The nights are drawing in, the weather is overcast and petrol's going up.

Carry on.

Katie
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[

she goes to a playgroup and is always out and about with other mums. She is a lovely, lovely person Katie....and I'm sure you would get on. If you'd like some company with other mums and toddlrs or you'd like to get out and about more, then PM me your details and I can put you in touch. I'll leave it to you

Hi,
Just to go off on a bit of a tangent, we hope to get to Brissy in Jan 06 & I have 3yr old & 20 month old. Are there plenty of baby/toddler groups around? I go to a few here which the kiddies love, is it about the same there? And what sort of costs?
Any info would be great, thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Three Legs
You ain't missing nowt.

The nights are drawing in, the weather is overcast and petrol's going up.

Carry on.

Ditto, The days are getting longer and the temperature is rising and the mossie and flies are comming out. Oh and petrol has gone up 34% since we arrived 10 months ago. Carry on.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you head for the nearest airport and depart quicksmart ...

That country is making you very bitter

Originally Posted by arkon
Ditto, The days are getting longer and the temperature is rising and the mossie and flies are comming out. Oh and petrol has gone up 34% since we arrived 10 months ago. Carry on.