Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here a month and loving it!

Been here a month and loving it!

Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Been here a month and loving it!

Hello!

Just wanted to write a quick one as we have been here a month now and wanted to pass on a few tips for people who are about to take the plunge!

- Bank Accounts: Get one sorted before you leave the UK, this has helped us with everthing from getting mobile phones to provinding financial guarantee when renting property.

- Driving Licence: Get it sorted as soon as you get here, we have needed it for a lot of situations when ID has been required (getting new car registered, mobile phone, rental property) in NSW go to RTA office (in most shopping malls) complete a form, have your vision checked (read a chart), pay some money, all done in 15 minutes!

- Medicare: Go to Medicare office (in most shopping malls) provide passport as ID, complete form. Done!

- Buying white goods: We went to "Bing Lee" and got our white goods, new TV, telephone and toaster, really helpful and always negotiable on price!

- Rental: Get the local paper early and plan your viewings in order as some properties only have a 15 minute viewing window when the whole world and his dog could turn up! In the area we were looking there were not many properties available so be prepared to pay the asking price. Some agencies were asking for proof of ownership of house in the UK, but our agent only wanted NSW drivers licence, passport and bank account showing available funds.

- Mobile Phone: If you haven't got yourself set up with a job when getting your phone, put yourself down as a Home Maker as this will assist part of the credit check process.

- Broadband: shopped around decided who we wanted to go with, filled in some forms and was connected within 5 days! a little bit speedier than waiting for TalkTalk to connect us in the UK where we were waiting for 4 months!!!!

- Grocery shopping: Found Coles and Woolworths to be equally as good, but check out your local farmers markets, they are fab and nothing like what you get in the UK!
A few veggies have different names here, Peppers are called Capsicums, Courgettes are Zucchinis, and Aubergines are Eggplants!

Hope this brain dump proves useful to some people.

Overall we have found things have been easier than we what we expected from reading previous posts, we have embraced the Australian way of life, we never came out here thinking that things would be easy after all we have moved to the other side of the world!

I was concerned about meeting new people and still am, OH has taken some time out to get us all settled in, so I have been living in a bit of a bubble to some extent, but I have put myself in positions where I get talking to people and have found most people I have come across to be helpful, friendly and genuine!

My personal view is that if you are planning to put your all into your move and plan it right, put yourselves in positions where you are going to mix with people you can't go wrong. Enjoy the time you have left in the UK you will be amazed how quick the time goes in the last few months!

Good Luck!

P & F x
Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here a month and loving it!

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
Hello!

Just wanted to write a quick one as we have been here a month now and wanted to pass on a few tips for people who are about to take the plunge!

- Bank Accounts: Get one sorted before you leave the UK, this has helped us with everthing from getting mobile phones to provinding financial guarantee when renting property.

- Driving Licence: Get it sorted as soon as you get here, we have needed it for a lot of situations when ID has been required (getting new car registered, mobile phone, rental property) in NSW go to RTA office (in most shopping malls) complete a form, have your vision checked (read a chart), pay some money, all done in 15 minutes!

- Medicare: Go to Medicare office (in most shopping malls) provide passport as ID, complete form. Done!

- Buying white goods: We went to "Bing Lee" and got our white goods, new TV, telephone and toaster, really helpful and always negotiable on price!

- Rental: Get the local paper early and plan your viewings in order as some properties only have a 15 minute viewing window when the whole world and his dog could turn up! In the area we were looking there were not many properties available so be prepared to pay the asking price. Some agencies were asking for proof of ownership of house in the UK, but our agent only wanted NSW drivers licence, passport and bank account showing available funds.

- Mobile Phone: If you haven't got yourself set up with a job when getting your phone, put yourself down as a Home Maker as this will assist part of the credit check process.

- Broadband: shopped around decided who we wanted to go with, filled in some forms and was connected within 5 days! a little bit speedier than waiting for TalkTalk to connect us in the UK where we were waiting for 4 months!!!!

- Grocery shopping: Found Coles and Woolworths to be equally as good, but check out your local farmers markets, they are fab and nothing like what you get in the UK!
A few veggies have different names here, Peppers are called Capsicums, Courgettes are Zucchinis, and Aubergines are Eggplants!

Overall we have found things have been easier than we what we expected from reading previous posts, we have embraced the Australian way of life, we never came out here thinking that things would be easy after all we have moved to the other side of the world!

I was concerned about meeting new people and still am, OH has taken some time out to get us all settled in, so I have been living in a bit of a bubble to some extent, but I have put myself in positions where I get talking to people and have found most people I have come across to be helpful, friendly and genuine!

My personal view is that if you are planning to put your all into your move and plan it right, put yourselves in positions where you are going to mix with people you can't go wrong. Enjoy the time you have left in the UK you will be amazed how quick the time goes in the last few months!

Good Luck!

P & F x
Good to hear you're having a good time hope to be there ourselves in about 6 months!!!!! Whereabouts are you? C x
Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Been here a month and loving it!

Hello!

Good Luck!

P & F x
Great post, so glad you have settled! I learn something new on this site everyday! thanks for the tips!
Jo x
Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shiels
Good to hear you're having a good time hope to be there ourselves in about 6 months!!!!! Whereabouts are you? C x
We are renting in Northern Beaches area in Sydney - great for families!

Where are you heading?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:00 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Lovely post, its so good to hear it can all be done in such a short space of time. Good luck at the making friends, sounds like you're on the right track anyway.

We land in Brisbane one month today! I just can't imagine being ready this end or getting our act together so quickly that end. But who knows?

Best of luck again and keep us posted on your progress. x
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:09 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We are renting in Northern Beaches area in Sydney - great for families!

Where are you heading?
The Gold Coast......cant wait.... C x
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:16 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

what a fantastic thread!!!

thank you for this it will be very helpful to us

jan xx
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Glad to hear that everything's going well for you!!! Great post and thanks ever so much for the tips!!! xx
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:36 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you're so organised. Thanks for so many good tips. How you finding Sydney?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Been here a month and loving it!

Originally Posted by herrchook
Great to hear you're so organised. Thanks for so many good tips. How you finding Sydney?
Haven't got a bad word to say about it! We are 15 minutes from some of the most amazing beaches, 20 mins from the city, everybody is friendly, the weather is beautiful! It can't get much better!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi P & F,
Great post Glad your settling in and thanks for the tips

We're hoping to be out on the Gold Coast between Dec and Feb fingers crossed.

Just want a CO Pleeeeeeeease dimia!!!!!

Phil n Tracey