Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BEDDING ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEDDING ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 21st 2008, 1:03 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BEDDING ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
Is there no such thing as a Uk equivalent standard size double bed in Oz?

Cos we have a pine bed that we were going to ship and then buy a new mattress out there!!!!!!
The Oz single and UK single are the same (give or take a centimetre). And the Oz double and UK double are the same as well (again give or take a centimetre).

We also shipped a pine double bed over from the UK and bought a new double mattress here. The Oz mattress fits but it's a more snug fit than the previous mattress.

The Oz queen size and king size are different from the UK ones.

Sheets, duvets etc are more expensive here. So, if you can fit more stuff into the container, definitely get some bedding in the UK sales (if you have single or double beds).

Gina
Old May 21st 2008, 9:18 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MORCPOM1
Hi All,
Just a quick question about bedding. Have read several threads that the bedding from England will not fit the Australian beds? Is this right, or should I stock up on BOGOF bedding from Argos???. We will need to buy new beds/ mattresses etc when we land in Oz..............ONLY 12 WEEKS TO GO Thanks All..

Try looking here:

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.shtml

This gives Australian, UK & European sizes. Ikea is different!

Hope this helps
Old May 21st 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

micko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant future

Bedding issues.... oh my god... some people really have got to get out more. A discussion thread about whether beds are a couple of centimeters bigger or smaller. Heard it all now.

Get a grip people, you're about to embark on probably one of the biggest life changing experience you're ever likely to face and the only thing you can ask about is bedding sizes.... The mind boggles!
Old May 21st 2008, 12:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micko
Bedding issues.... oh my god... some people really have got to get out more. A discussion thread about whether beds are a couple of centimeters bigger or smaller. Heard it all now.

Get a grip people, you're about to embark on probably one of the biggest life changing experience you're ever likely to face and the only thing you can ask about is bedding sizes.... The mind boggles!
There is nothing else to talk about since everyone left here for the "dark side"
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:59 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

When you can spend upwards of $500 to get decent bedding sets I do not find it mind boggling.

With a family of four and guest bedding it can be an expensive option to kit out from scratch. I ship bedding (or manchester as they call it here) from the UK even six years on because I would rather spend my money on getting out more!!!!
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Whats wrong with the bedding here?? I have found some very reasonable priced sets in Myers and David Jones that have washed great. I guess since I bought the beds in Australia it is easier to get the bedding here. And the prices I have found are just about the same as the UK
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

micko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sandra
When you can spend upwards of $500 to get decent bedding sets I do not find it mind boggling.

With a family of four and guest bedding it can be an expensive option to kit out from scratch. I ship bedding (or manchester as they call it here) from the UK even six years on because I would rather spend my money on getting out more!!!!
Blah Blah Blah Blah.... Get a life.

I find it sad that you haven't accepted you actually live in Australia, six years after getting here. Time to cut the apron strings. Just accept that some things are priced differently and you will free yourself of the "things I miss" syndrom that you obviously have. Or if it is so difficult and the price of bedding here, wears you down to such a degree that you really get that upset by it...... go and live somewhere that bedding has a far more suitable pricetag.

The point I was merely making was, in the grand scheme of things the magnitude of the decision to move half way round the world, leaving your family, friends and everything else you've ever worked for, it's these things that should probably outweigh any other concerns you may have about saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move.

But the really the only important thing is, that Manchester Utd are yet again Champions of Europe Glory Glory Man Utd.
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:47 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I find it sad that you haven't accepted you actually live in Australia, six years after getting here. Time to cut the apron strings. Just accept that some things are priced differently and you will free yourself of the "things I miss" syndrom that you obviously have. Or if it is so difficult and the price of bedding here, wears you down to such a degree that you really get that upset by it...... go and live somewhere that bedding has a far more suitable pricetag.

The point I was merely making was, in the grand scheme of things the magnitude of the decision to move half way round the world, leaving your family, friends and everything else you've ever worked for, it's these things that should probably outweigh any other concerns you may have about saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move.

But the really the only important thing is, that Manchester Utd are yet again Champions of Europe Glory Glory Man Utd.
What ever point you where making came across as rude to me.

And if the thread bothers you that much - ignore it. Don't start telling me to get a life or attempting to be amusing at my expense.

To Linloo - there is nothing wrong with the bedding here, I have a personal preference for the choice and standards I buy in the UK or elsewhere overseas, like some others I find the stuff here overpriced and in the case of Duvets not of the same standard.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

If you practiced what you preach then you should be supporting AFL not UK soccer !
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sandra
What ever point you where making came across as rude to me.

And if the thread bothers you that much - ignore it. Don't start telling me to get a life or attempting to be amusing at my expense.

To Linloo - there is nothing wrong with the bedding here, I have a personal preference for the choice and standards I buy in the UK or elsewhere overseas, like some others I find the stuff here overpriced and in the case of Duvets not of the same standard.

Aw Sandra, don't get upset, I wasn't being rude to you. I just find it bewildering that some people can't look at the bigger picture. If that's the place you're in right now in your life, where bedding is of such importance, good for you. It's not for me to tell you what you need to be concerned about. There isn't a smilie for being patronising so I'll just use this one. Oh and I'm not trying to be amusing at your expense, I don't need to when you're doing it for yourself.

I am a bit unsure about the statement you made to linloo though. One minute there is nothing wrong with the bedding here, then it's overpriced and substandard???? So which is it?

Don't get so wound up about it.... it's only a duvet and some sheets!!!
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Micko sweetie, I totally understand what you mean, BUT.... this forum is for any question no matter how big or small for people to ask Dont you remember some of the daft things that came up when you were moving

And it is fantastic that MAN U won the cup and I know for a fact that you support your local AFL, and that football is a worldwide sport enjoyed by many Australians too (Looking at some of the bleary eyes this morning)
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cj321
If you practiced what you preach then you should be supporting AFL not UK soccer !
Love it. I think I'll see how many other threads I can change to important stuff like MANCHESTER UTD. By the way did I tell you we won the European Cup again this morning.

cj were you never tought the golden rule of comparing things?... apples with apples...duh!

Seriously though it's nice to see that someone else on this thread has grasped the fact that in the grand scheme of things, bedding isn't all that important. I mean it's not like you've had to endure a cyclone which has wiped out your entire village and killed or displaced hundreds of thousands of people throughout your country, only to find your government is preventing any humanitarian aid from getting to you.

But I must admit, this forum is an excellent facitlity for those about to move over to this fantastic country, to enable them to ask all those questions about the mundane things, that you don't actually pick up from Home and Away.

happy Manchester hunting all you bedding fans.

Glory Glory Man Utd
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:11 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

[QUOTE=micko;6379300]Aw Sandra, don't get upset, I wasn't being rude to you. I just find it bewildering that some people can't look at the bigger picture.

Outweigh any other concerns you may have about saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move.
  • you were being bloody rude!
  • to many people saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move does matter - who are you to criticize.
  • Also if your life is bloody wonderful why are you responding to a thread on sheets???

Suggest if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all!!:curse:
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

cj were you never tought the golden rule of comparing things?... apples with apples...duh!
Yep, but I don't know the name of Adelaide's soccer team if they have one. If you lived in Perth it would be Perth Glory and you probably wouldn't bother.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:34 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ray2gill;6382994]
Aw Sandra, don't get upset, I wasn't being rude to you. I just find it bewildering that some people can't look at the bigger picture.

Outweigh any other concerns you may have about saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move.
  • you were being bloody rude!
  • to many people saving a few bucks on some sheets or a bed when you move does matter - who are you to criticize.
  • Also if your life is bloody wonderful why are you responding to a thread on sheets???

Suggest if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all!!:curse:

Ray2gill,

Nice to see someone else bit. I love to see that little red smilie, cursing. haha.

Didn't realise you weren't allowed to write things on here if your life is wonderful. I'll make a point of never writing anything else on here then. Oh really?

Anyway define rude, or for that matter bloody rude.... your frame of reference is obviously somewhat squewed. Maybe that's from living in the Middle East.

I have every right to criticize... the thing is I didn't, I merely pointed out that in the grand scheme of things bedding is a mere drop in the ocean compared to all the other financial, psychological and social upheval you go through during a move to Australia. Something I went through about a year ago and am still absolutely over the moon I did. Australia is a fantastic country to live in.

Oh and I did say something positive; Manchester Utd won the European Cup again... I don't know about you but I'd say that was pretty positive (unless of-course you are a chelsea fan).

But I'd like to draw aline under this by saying, Crawl back under your stone. Now thats rude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.