Reload this Page >

Becoming a british citizen

Becoming a british citizen

Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

MaggieNoodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming a british citizen

Hi guys,

I'm hoping that someone can help.... I am attending a ceremony to become a british citizen tomorrow and am starting to panic because I haven't memorised the words for the oath and pledge. Please, does anyone know if I need to memorise these or do I repeat them (a bit like our wedding vows).

Thanks.

Maggienoodles.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:13 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Default Re: Becoming a british citizen

have no idea sorry..but out of interest and being British I was actually just wondering what the words are in the oath and pledge
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Carkedit
have no idea sorry..but out of interest and being British I was actually just wondering what the words are in the oath and pledge
Hi,

The words are....

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British Citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British Citizen.

You can affirm instead if you don't believe in God so the first sentence changes to... I do solemnly, sincerely amd truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British Citizen.....
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieNoodles
Hi guys,

I'm hoping that someone can help.... I am attending a ceremony to become a british citizen tomorrow and am starting to panic because I haven't memorised the words for the oath and pledge. Please, does anyone know if I need to memorise these or do I repeat them (a bit like our wedding vows).

Thanks.

Maggienoodles.
I would hope they give you a little card with the words on it, or allow you to repeat it, as Australia does.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:35 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Why not print the words out on a piece of paper and put them in your pocket or handbag?Then you won't be worried! But I'd be very surprised if you were expected to memorise them, since I have not heard or read anything about that.

I hope you enjoy the ceremony!

Hi,

The words are....

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British Citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British Citizen.

You can affirm instead if you don't believe in God so the first sentence changes to... I do solemnly, sincerely amd truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British Citizen.....
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I would hope they give you a little card with the words on it, or allow you to repeat it, as Australia does.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, I'd just like to thank you for encouraging me to apply for my British citizenship before moviing back to oz after 9 years of living in England. Well, I had my ceremony today and I am now a British Citizen and will have 2 passports.

Thank you.

Maggienoodles.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CPW
Why not print the words out on a piece of paper and put them in your pocket or handbag?Then you won't be worried! But I'd be very surprised if you were expected to memorise them, since I have not heard or read anything about that.

I hope you enjoy the ceremony!
Hi everyone,

Well, I didn't have to memorise the words, we were given a card with them on it and we had to repeat after the registrar so I had absolutely nothing to worry about. I enjoyed the ceremony and am now happy to say that I am a British national.

Thanks for your replies.

Maggienoodles.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,

Well, I didn't have to memorise the words, we were given a card with them on it and we had to repeat after the registrar so I had absolutely nothing to worry about. I enjoyed the ceremony and am now happy to say that I am a British national.

Thanks for your replies.

Maggienoodles.
Well done Andy
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:29 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Cool..thanks for that...Congratulations on your new 'dual' status!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Just as well I'm born British, because I don't believe in the Queen or God.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:02 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Originally Posted by dshole
The queen is real..trust me..definitely not a figment of the imagination
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dshole

Allegiance to the Queen is expected of all British citizens, whether naturalised or not. However it's not an allegiance to her as a person, but to the country of which she is Queen.

As for not believing in God, new citizens have the option to take a non-religious affirmation instead of the Oath. You don't have to give a reason if you prefer to do this.

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Allegiance to the Queen is expected of all British citizens, whether naturalised or not. However it's not an allegiance to her as a person, but to the country of which she is Queen.

As for not believing in God, new citizens have the option to take a non-religious affirmation instead of the Oath. You don't have to give a reason if you prefer to do this.

Jeremy

I know that, I was being sarcastic.