Rubbish Thread

Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rubbish Thread

In the area where we live on the Isle of Man we have just been chosen to pilot a new recycling initiative.

Sounded like a great idea, but in theory they are doing it all wrong

We have ONE small plastic box, the size of an average toy box. EVERYTHING goes into it!! Then the collectors come round and go through each the box picking out each item and putting it into their different sections on the back of the truck! Suffice to say it take them all day to do our estate. What’s going to happen when they increase it to the whole Island?

This is typical of the local council and no doubt other areas of the UK have had similar scheme, and again I bet they did it all wrong.

My sister live in Italy and they recycle there only they do it correctly. For example on a Tuesday they will collect glass, simply come around pick up your glass bin and empty it, the next day it will be cardboard, again picking up and putting in the truck in one swoop. Each day having a separate type of item to be collected. Makes sense to me!

That’s another thing, on the Island they do not collect cardboard, plastic bottles, envelopes of any sort and numerous other things which most homes put in the bin on a daily basis!

I hear they also have recycling schemes in Australia, please tell me they have used their heads and do it correctly.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rubbish Thread

We have a continer for glass, another for tins, another for plastic bottles, another for newspapers and a big green wheely bin for the garden clippings, all collected on Friday mornings.

Must just be an IoM thing!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Rubbish Thread

Originally Posted by manxfamily
In the area where we live on the Isle of Man we have just been chosen to pilot a new recycling initiative.

We have ONE small plastic box, the size of an average toy box. EVERYTHING goes into it!! Then the collectors come round and go through each the box picking out each item and putting it into their different sections on the back of the truck! Suffice to say it take them all day to do our estate. What’s going to happen when they increase it to the whole Island?

This is typical of the local council and no doubt other areas of the UK have had similar scheme, and again I bet they did it all wrong.

My sister live in Italy and they recycle there only they do it correctly. For example on a Tuesday they will collect glass, simply come around pick up your glass bin and empty it, the next day it will be cardboard, again picking up and putting in the truck in one swoop. Each day having a separate type of item to be collected. Makes sense to me!

That’s another thing, on the Island they do not collect cardboard, plastic bottles, envelopes of any sort and numerous other things which most homes put in the bin on a daily basis!

I hear they also have recycling schemes in Australia, please tell me they have used their heads and do it correctly.
I lived in Midvale, Western Australia back home, and my local council provided two wheely bins: the first for everyday rubbish, which was collected weekly; the second for recyclable rubbish, which was collected fortnightly. They also provided a black plastic box for old bottles, which was collected with the recycling wheely bin.

Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:05 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Here in the Town of Cambridge, City of Perth we have a small wheelie bin in which we dump everything and they sort it back at the depot. This is quite a common way of doing it I think.

Each borough does a different thing, some don't recycle. Same as UK I suppose!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:11 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We have two gurt big wheely bins.

One for glass, cans and plastic milk bottles which is emptied once a month.
The other takes all the rest of the stuff and is emptied weekly.

Not perfect but sensible for what they are currenly doing.

You have to check the bins regularly as with the heat you can get a lot of maggots. People hose out the beggars onto their drives as it's a nice feast for the birds.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live - the council areas in Aus differ as in all other countries. We have a big Green Bin for garden waste, collected once a fortnight, a Yellow Lid bin for glass and plastic and a Brown Lid bin for cardboard and paper and then the much smaller black bin for our rubbish. Different vehicles for each bin operated by a single driver and a big arm to pick up the bin. Leave the bin in the wrong place or direction or too heavy and it might not be picked up. You learn quick.

We also have a phone up home rubbish collection to allow you to dump on the side (nature strip) your household crap and it gets collected for free.

I appreciate the recycling here and I am impressed in my area, but it is not the same all over Sydney. I stayed a few weeks in another council area with lots of apartments and it looked like a tip because people just dumped stuff on the street around the time of council pick up - or so they thought, which meant there could be washing machines, sofas, and loads of stuff out for weeks. Mind you this lent itself to interesting pickings on the way home from the pub!!!

Also the garden waste bin never ever seems to hold enough, and you need to check out the costs at your local tip when clearing the garden (and it will be more often than you think with a large native garden). Some council tips will be free to residents and go for weight for others

So on the whole I am impressed, but then I was very impressed with my recyclying in the UK as well. Wokingham district council to be specific.

The only thing I do not know is how well our rubbish is dealt with after it has been collected....that is possibly a more pertinent question.

Cheers
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:17 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Sunny Thornbury (Bristol - UK - Earth) we have a crap system.

One week 'they' do a green bin collection basically grass and paper,cardboard etc. Then the next week 'they' collect the normal waste (black bin) utterly crap !!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

You have to check the bins regularly as with the heat you can get a lot of maggots. People hose out the beggars onto their drives as it's a nice feast for the birds.
Great for those who go fishing also.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:24 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

We also have 2 large wheelie bins, one green for cardboard and garden stuff, one black for other things that don't go into the 2 small ones, paper and glass in one and cans and plastic in the other. One week they collect the green bin and the paper and glass container, and the next the other bins.

This year we have also had a problem with maggots, and have had to double bag everything. Hubby did catch some maggots and take them fishing!!! Rather him than me :scared: .
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:42 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Rubbish Thread

Our council has a similar scheme, black box for plastic, glass etc (oh, but no milk or yoghurt type cartons please!) and blue bag for paper (but no cardboard please to be left separately otherwise we'll pick it up, look at it and put it back).

Bloody ridiculous, lost our blue bag, my parents have just lost there's too! And they are SO picky about what they will/wont take. Took nearly six weeks just to get all our rubbish collected on the same day (some weeks the wheelie bin sat out there for three days, sometimes a week!)

Hope Aus recycling is more organised!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Our council has a similar scheme, black box for plastic, glass etc (oh, but no milk or yoghurt type cartons please!) and blue bag for paper (but no cardboard please to be left separately otherwise we'll pick it up, look at it and put it back).

Bloody ridiculous, lost our blue bag, my parents have just lost there's too! And they are SO picky about what they will/wont take. Took nearly six weeks just to get all our rubbish collected on the same day (some weeks the wheelie bin sat out there for three days, sometimes a week!)

Hope Aus recycling is more organised!
We live in Poole Dorset we have 2 wheelie bins the black one is collected every week for general household rubbish the blue one collected every two weeks for paper glass tins you need to wash them out milk cartons practically anything but food its a great system saves going to the bottle bank every week.JANET
Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

There's a very good reason they collect it all in one go.......

I live in Guildford.....a city large enough to warrant 18 full time recycling lorries plus a crew of at least 3 (I know this). Each lorry + crew visits a different area of the city every day Mon to Fri - can you imagine how many lorries and crew would be needed to visit the same area every day only collecting specific items???

I also know that it doesnt actually take THAT long to sift through the items....paper + cradboard in one bin, glass in another and tin cans in another...takes milliseconds! Plastic and all other recyclables are not collected but people are asked to recycle these items at recycling stations....

Just my thoughts.............

Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We have two large wheelie bins in Brisbane, one for recycling and one for the rest. When I was in Hobart they only used to supply a small box for recycling. Very quickly filled, so we used to use the one next door for a lot of the beer bottles
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We have three bins here in Randwick Council area (Sydney).

Big yellow bin, divided into two. One side for glass and aluminium cans, the other side for paper and cardboard. The van that picks up this bin supposedly tips the bin at the right position so all the glass goes in one side of the van, and the paper in the other. Never got up at 5am to check that this actually works though. This one gets collected fortnightly.

Big green bin for garden waste. This doesn't get picked up too often - once a month?

Small red bin, collected weekly for normal rubbish. You can get a large red bin, if the small one's not big enough - but you have to pay extra for it.

We also have council clean-ups twice a year, when the big stuff goes out onto the footpath. Also get two free individual pick-ups a year, when we can call them and they'll come and pickup any big stuff you want removed.

All our rubbish collection is done by Collex - the council don't employ their own people - and very good they are too. They even collect on public holidays, over Christmas etc.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Point Cook - just outside of Melbourne - and we have two bins - one for all recyclable stuff (the bigger of the two, gets emptied fortnightly) and one for all other household waste (gets emptied weekly and is the size of a normal wheely bin back in the UK). Works really well to be fair - it was the first time we had actually given some careful thought to recycling rubbish - mainly cos our local council in the UK would give us a couple of green plastic crates and expected us to go to the local recycling centre - so we were just too lazy, but here they actually put the effort in for you.