Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beaches in Melbourne

Beaches in Melbourne

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

wild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura about
Default Beaches in Melbourne

Hi

Can any suggest any good beaches in Melbourne area?

Close to the CBD.

Thanks
Wild-Star
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Beaches in Melbourne

The best beaches near to Melbourne are probably Albert Park Beach, Brighton Beach, Sandringham beach, blackrock beach. I would stay away from St. Kilda beach (particularly if you have kids, as there are often syringes hidden in the sand).
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:39 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shellfish
The best beaches near to Melbourne are probably Albert Park Beach, Brighton Beach, Sandringham beach, blackrock beach. I would stay away from St. Kilda beach (particularly if you have kids, as there are often syringes hidden in the sand).
Can I add Half moon bay to that?

Hot evening, fish & chips, glass of wine, watching the little ones and knowing they are safe paddling along the shore. Looking at the sun-setting and seeing the Melbourne city sky-line and feeling a million miles away from it...

When you say "nice beach' do you mean for sprting activities? quiet swim? palm trees?

Louise
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

We were down at Ricketts Point one day last summer - we saw a loads of dolphins just off the rocks which leapt around all over the place for the best part of a hour. We were so glad that we saw this magical sight we had guests from London with us - they couldnt believe their eyes.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:13 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hawk2005
We were down at Ricketts Point one day last summer - we saw a loads of dolphins just off the rocks which leapt around all over the place for the best part of a hour. We were so glad that we saw this magical sight we had guests from London with us - they couldnt believe their eyes.

Oh you are lucky! My friend and her daughter were there and the same thing happened, they said it was magical! I go all the time and I have never seen a dolphin, although my children swear they see them all the time when I am driving along beach road with both eyes on the road of course
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wild-star
Hi

Can any suggest any good beaches in Melbourne area?

Close to the CBD.

Thanks
Wild-Star
And my nomination is Williamstown!

Enjoy the wonderful views of the bay and CBD from the 'front beach' (not really suitable for swimming); if you want to swim and settle on the sand go to the 'back beach'. Images of both attached.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Beaches in Melbourne-pict1497.jpg   Beaches in Melbourne-pict0697.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

A few more Williamstown images:

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Beaches in Melbourne-pict1559.jpg   Beaches in Melbourne-051.jpg   Beaches in Melbourne-pict0868.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by OzTennis
A few more Williamstown images:

OzTennis
Like the pictures... looks great. I'm in process of visa to live in Victoria (ideally Melbourne)... will certainly visit that area when I get there. (don't want to say IF I get there)
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
Like the pictures... looks great. I'm in process of visa to live in Victoria (ideally Melbourne)... will certainly visit that area when I get there. (don't want to say IF I get there)
Good luck with the move!

It certainly is a nice 'burb and well worth removing the 'east and south east blinkers' that most people have to investigate. No views on the other side of the bay are really comparable to this (IMHO).

We aren't too far apart now - we're about 80 miles to the south of Glasgow (Castle Douglas). I come from Melbourne originally but my wife is from SW Scotland.

OzTennis