Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beaches around Christchurch

Beaches around Christchurch

Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:16 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beaches around Christchurch

We going to Christchurch. I have a 9 year old that has had a go at Surfing and wants to do more. What are the beaches like in that area. I keep seeing pictures of Seals and Whales and thinking it must be bloody freezing!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

How much are wetties for little ones? Water here is 16 17 and a fully sealed 3.5mm is doing the job.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:07 am
Drowning Member

Don't mind buying them all the kit, why change a habbit of a lifetime!

Sorry I know I must be really thick but what do you mean by 'fully sealed 3.5mm'
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:12 am

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
Don't mind buying them all the kit, why change a habbit of a lifetime!

Sorry I know I must be really thick but what do you mean by 'fully sealed 3.5mm'
Don't worry I was very confused by all the terms last year. I got a surfing dictionary out of the library.

3.5mm is the thickness of the rubber and sealed means sealed seams. The sealed seams cost more but keep out the cold water and keep in the water that has warmed up next to your skin. I got mine on special for 350 AUD.

Local advice is always the best though.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 11:09 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beaches around Christchurch

We going to Christchurch. I have a 9 year old that has had a go at Surfing and wants to do more. What are the beaches like in that area. I keep seeing pictures of Seals and Whales and thinking it must be bloody freezing!
I was in Sumner a couple of months back, south east of the city, watching some surfers on quite respectable swells (is that what you call them?) anyway, looked like they were enjoying it, so yes! Ch/ch is okay for surfing, just watch the rocks!

I took this picture at the time!
Attached Thumbnails Beaches around Christchurch-surfers.jpg  
Old Oct 10th 2003, 11:43 am
Drowning Member

I don't know what you call them either, something else to learn

Thank you so so so much
Old Oct 10th 2003, 10:07 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Ch'ch gets reasonable swells all year round, good spots are Taylors Mistake, Brighton, Sumner and all round the Ocean side of Banks Penninsula.

Jan - Mar the water temp is between 19 and 22, which means you can surf without a wetsuit but you'll burn to a crisp without a rash top. Rest of the year you'll need a suit...if you're really keen and surf in winter you'll need booties and headgear etc. All the beaches are sandy, except for some on the penninsula.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 10:19 pm

Originally posted by garrisondamn
I was in Sumner a couple of months back, south east of the city, watching some surfers on quite respectable swells (is that what you call them?) anyway, looked like they were enjoying it, so yes! Ch/ch is okay for surfing, just watch the rocks!

I took this picture at the time!
Nice pic.

The swell is what turns into a wave when it hits shallower water. The swell starts as wind swell which is choppy and messy. Surfers love a good ground swell which has built up from a storm way out in the ocean. As the swell moves away from the storm the waves merge and clean up. Hawaii gets the big waves from big storms around Alaska. The waves then travel 1000s of miles and clean up. Hawaii has no continental shelf to slow the waves so when they hit they are enourmous.

Hope that clears things up a bit. I have only surfed a year so I know what it is look to be a faced with all the terms.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 10:23 pm

Originally posted by JWW
Ch'ch gets reasonable swells all year round, good spots are Taylors Mistake, Brighton, Sumner and all round the Ocean side of Banks Penninsula.

Jan - Mar the water temp is between 19 and 22, which means you can surf without a wetsuit but you'll burn to a crisp without a rash top. Rest of the year you'll need a suit...if you're really keen and surf in winter you'll need booties and headgear etc. All the beaches are sandy, except for some on the penninsula.
A good rashy, zinc and plenty of sun cream. Either that or a spring suit (wetsuit with half length arms and legs).