BBC's iPlayer

Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:15 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: BBC's iPlayer

Originally Posted by Luckyone
For what it's worth....I tried the Hide IP deal last night for the 3 hour trial, it was brill. I do have a very decent internet speed, and I normally use torrents for watching UK TV.
Regards your issues identified - none applied to my experience-as yet.
1. It is fast enough to stream video realtime
2. Yes, on my PC, but then hooked up to full screen on my flat screen TV
3. Don't have either, so not a problem to me.
4. Can't comment as yet, but the version I now have bought (same as trial version) is working just fine, simple operation.
5. My firewall was fine, no changes - maybe due to previous torrent use?
6. I use IE

All in all, this is great, at this time. Maybe the whole thing will get shut down in a short time frame but in the meantime I'm watching all ITV stuff on their catchup page, BBC IPlayer and Channel 4 - without any problems, buffering or other issues.....it's like being in the UK again -yeh.
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotKansas
HideIP has some serious issues:
1. It isn't fast enough to stream video real time
2. Only works on a PC
3. Not Mac or iPhone compatible
4. One of the main complaints is patches and updates - have you looked for newer versions?
5. Have to reconfigure your firewall to allow HideIP to access the web
6. It Hangs Firefox browser
I agree with LUCKYONE
1. it IS fast enough to stream and linking the PC to the LCD TV it will play up full screen
2. I have a PC so that's all I'm worried about
3. Don't own and Mac and wouldn't want to watch it on an iPhone anyway
4. Version I have works fine not interested in upgrades - no messages on patches
5. Have not touched my firewall and its McAfee
6. Use Internet Explorer and have no probs
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

FrenchKriss is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrenchKriss
I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?
If you click on the first link in my signature and then read the comments at the end of the article, you'll find a couple of recommendations for cheap VPN hosts.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:41 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

any latest updates to this thread please
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:44 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by herrchook
It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

Or sign up using a VPN.....
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herrchook
Here's another site worth a look..... http://www.tvcatchup.com

Use it to watch BBC 1 2 & 3, ITV 1 2 3 & 4, channel 4, More4 and E4, Channel 5 and 5 US.

It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

So if i join tv catch up in the uk,when i get to australia we can watch live tv off there?
Or am i missing vital cogs?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
any latest updates to this thread please
The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date.
Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by dave99
Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess
You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.
My media extender doesn't support H.264 though so I can't use IPlayerDownloader, which means I still need to pay for DRM removal software right?

What's the native format of the video file when the iPlayer downloads on a Windows (non-mobile) platform?

Cheers.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
My media extender doesn't support H.264 though so I can't use IPlayerDownloader, which means I still need to pay for DRM removal software right?

What's the native format of the video file when the iPlayer downloads on a Windows (non-mobile) platform?

Cheers.
WMV I believe. There are free DRM removal options, but I found them to be so convoluted I splashed the cash on a commercial app (in the days when I used Windows that is).
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

I've updated the guide to watching UK TV that is linked in my signature. I was recently given the opportunity to test drive a new VPN company's connection and was blown away - full streaming, no hiccups or restreams whatsoever - on the High Quality stream. $10AUD a month and a US IP thrown in for good measure.
I can confirm this. We use it - well worth it.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

So i will be able to watch bbc live(motogp)and also save it if i cant watch it?

So once in oz i just do what again?

Sorry having a blonde moment

jase
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:47 pm
Jodders

jodrisco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExPatDave
Have tried several ways with limited success:
1. The free Proxies (if you can find one that works at all) tend to die and offer a very patchy service at best.
2. VPN works for iPhone too (proxies don't work for iPhone), but they can be expensive.

Cheapest VPN that works, and is fast enough to stream video with no buffering interruptions, is probably UKiVPN.com It costs $75AUD for 12 months and works flawlessly.

I'm using it on an iPhone which I've hooked up to a plasma. Picture is roughly equivalent to a compressed cable channel and really quite watchable.

This also allows you to watch over a 3G signal - though there's less buffering delay via WiFi.
I've been subscribed to UKiVPN for several months but find the service is VERY patchy i.e. most days I can't get a connection. Support is pretty dire too, I've emailed them 4 times over the last 2 weeks to complain about not being able to connect and asking for assistance, as yet, no response. Have now asked for refund.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by jodrisco
I've been subscribed to UKiVPN for several months but find the service is VERY patchy i.e. most days I can't get a connection. Support is pretty dire too, I've emailed them 4 times over the last 2 weeks to complain about not being able to connect and asking for assistance, as yet, no response. Have now asked for refund.
Never used 'em myself, but people seem to have mixed experiences with these VPN companies whoever they go with. I'm with consult-here and have no issues, but someone else on these forums has been having issues with 'em. I think the way to go is work your way through them paying the one month fee until you find one that works for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.