Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

Originally Posted by tigerbabby78
Hi

Thanks for posting this . I was in the Etherington/Peat episode, absolutely correct the programme was very heavily edited and the fact that we don't own a house is certainly not odd in this day and age believe me!

x
Welcome to BE

Every time we get a poster who has appeared on the show they say the same, the editing is heavy,and slated towards getting viewers to watch the programme, inevitable I guess.

I agree on the not owning a house issue too - many people Iknow both back home and in Aus are renters, myself incuded
Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

tigerbabby78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely, it was a great,once in a lifetime experience and I am thrilled that we did the show. We were under no illusion that it isn't always sunshine and rainbows in Australia but those discussions weren't included on the programme! LOL.

I think people need to take the programme for what it is, it's a day time entertainment show and personal attacks or comments about people that feature on the show certainly isn't fair or warranted! I appreciate everyone has a right to an opinion though!

xx
Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

tigerbabby78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh, it must be January again.

I can't get it to play as I'm outside the UK.

I've downloaded iPlayer but it's the same message.

I've just watched the Ethrington/Peat episode on You Tube. What planet is Kirsty on ? I've wanted to come here since I was 13, and repeat ad nauseum.

She was told she couldn't get a job until she had a couple more years experience. He was told he'd have to retrain. They then did their figures on projected salaries.....magic money in other words.

I see on the update they've shelved their plans for the time being. I hope now he's shown an interest in Australia because everyday is trip to the park, obviously he will now get the baby she agreed to have.

She changed jobs as she did not like the prison hospital she was working in and now works in A&E. Who knew ?

I feel sorry for her mum. She beat cancer 14 years ago now she's about to lose her daughter and grandson. What the hell was it about Australia that meant so much to Kirsty ?

Her Dad has remarried. The back story to these wannabes is usually some sort of car crash isn't it ?

At the age of 27 and similar age partner they are still renting after four years together. Oh yeah ? What's that all about ?

This made me LOL!

Last edited by tigerbabby78; Mar 1st 2015 at 6:55 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Guys, as I say every time one of these shows runs, please be mindful that there are people on the site who have appeared in them, and there may well be others who are in this new series.
They are obviously heavily edited for tv, so lets have a bit of respect when discussing individual participants.

Thanks
Noting my comment from last year.....there seems to be a new series popped up on iplayer.....anyone seen it - any of our new members involved in it?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Noting my comment from last year.....there seems to be a new series popped up on iplayer.....anyone seen it - any of our new members involved in it?
They should interview me.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco
They should interview me.
Too late, you have to get on before you emigrate not after Which is a shame cos your story would make for a good plot-line!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Too late, you have to get on before you emigrate not after Which is a shame cos your story would make for a good plot-line!
Yeah, real pity we didn't know about it beforehand...

Would have landed top notch jobs before we arrived, a house, free beer for a year, exempt from parking on the wrong side of the road etc...

Old Jan 16th 2016, 6:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yeah, real pity we didn't know about it beforehand...

Would have landed top notch jobs before we arrived, a house, free beer for a year, exempt from parking on the wrong side of the road etc...

Same salary as the UK, pool in the garden (maintenance, whats that?!) BBQs on the beach every night..... at least thats what was promised when the couple I watched last night looked at moving to Shockingham just south of Perth....... "your UK skills from the tax office will be much in demand" the guy in some recruiting place said, while also quoting the salary in £ - how set-up is that? You ever had an Australian agency quote you your salary in £?

the one I watched they were bith earning around £31,000 - and were promised the same in Perth/Rockingham......... They told the guy he could earn that Casual rather than taking a perm job. But no mention of all the pitfalls of working casual.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 16th 2016 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Most of the episodes I have watched this series they don't seem eligible for a visa. Either they are still training or their skillset doesn't match Australia skillset.
I am still sad enough to watch it though as its always winter here when it's on and it helps me dream for the sun.
The format hasn't really changed and I wish they would go to different places and show more of Australia looking at more of what is required in relocating. I was shortlisted for the last series so I probably wouldn't have complained having a free holiday.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a couple and one sticks out, the guy was a welder working in London and the family were from 'The North' ( winter is coming John Snow )

They were fed up with him working away all the time. He did a get a local job but then they were fed up with not enough money with that situation.

So they go to Oz in the hope that ' he will be home every night' ( quite why they couldn't happen somewhere else in the UK is not explored).

They get to Brisbane and are shown houses on the north of Brisbane, a little way out IIRC. Then he gets an interview at some place on the south side of Brisbane. First thing some Euro guy ( the boss) tells him is that English welding is shit compared to the Aussie equivalent. Next is that he could start as a yard hand, WTF then they say ' but you will get to go home each night'.

Now I think the guy would have rocks in his head to work for this mob, but he went back and told his wife he'd be home every night. What they didn't explain is how a guy working each day on the south side of Brisbane is going to get back across to the northern edge of Brisbane in time each night to spend time with the kids. Even if he knocks off early, he'll be starting early AM.

No mention of traffic, hours, commute times. The figures were done on projected promotional salaries. They also didn't show where they will keep the unicorn that craps fairy dust everywhere either.

There was another where some Taffy girl couldn't stop saying " shut up", I started to desperately wish she'd take her own advice.

A strange thing seems to be that some of these companies are saying ' your skills would be transferable' but it doesn't say in which context. Does it mean ' yeah, as an employer I could use your experience here'. Or does it mean ' your experience will get you a visa'? We know with the tradies that the skills are transferable for a visa, but that means didly squat when you get there.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I watched a couple and one sticks out, the guy was a welder working in London and the family were from 'The North' ( winter is coming John Snow )

They were fed up with him working away all the time. He did a get a local job but then they were fed up with not enough money with that situation.

So they go to Oz in the hope that ' he will be home every night' ( quite why they couldn't happen somewhere else in the UK is not explored).

They get to Brisbane and are shown houses on the north of Brisbane, a little way out IIRC. Then he gets an interview at some place on the south side of Brisbane. First thing some Euro guy ( the boss) tells him is that English welding is shit compared to the Aussie equivalent. Next is that he could start as a yard hand, WTF then they say ' but you will get to go home each night'.

Now I think the guy would have rocks in his head to work for this mob, but he went back and told his wife he'd be home every night. What they didn't explain is how a guy working each day on the south side of Brisbane is going to get back across to the northern edge of Brisbane in time each night to spend time with the kids. Even if he knocks off early, he'll be starting early AM.

No mention of traffic, hours, commute times. The figures were done on projected promotional salaries. They also didn't show where they will keep the unicorn that craps fairy dust everywhere either.

There was another where some Taffy girl couldn't stop saying " shut up", I started to desperately wish she'd take her own advice.

A strange thing seems to be that some of these companies are saying ' your skills would be transferable' but it doesn't say in which context. Does it mean ' yeah, as an employer I could use your experience here'. Or does it mean ' your experience will get you a visa'? We know with the tradies that the skills are transferable for a visa, but that means didly squat when you get there.
at the Taffy girl, wasn't she annoying!!

I had the same impression as you, they aren't telling these guys anything genuine about work. the travelling north/south Brisbane for instance -its like the guy who was told he could work casual and earn more -no mention of the lack of leave pay or job security.

They have all been upbbeat about "your skills will transfer" but no details, no suggestion that they may have to do extra courses, police checks, or even get registration before they can work. For those out there who just think they can move to Australia just like that, this is soooo misleading and must build up so many hopes -as witnessed by posts on the forum.

I watched one episode with a carpenter, they had (I think) 4 kids and a large dog. i think they said he could get the equivalent of £60k straight away, with a cap on his hours so he would be "home early each night". The family didn't seem that well off, they talked of selling the house then they could buy in Aus. But no-one mentioned that they have SiX visa fees to pay, and six medicals and air fares -and the dog........
Good luck to them, but if they make it I will be surprised.

( and in the same episode the presenter made a stunning error - this house is XX minutes north of Brisbane and XX minutes south of the Gold Coast....... )
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Every time we get a poster who has appeared on the show they say the same, the editing is heavy,and slated towards getting viewers to watch the programme, inevitable I guess.
Yup. Totally agree with all this.
For those looking to emigrate it is irresistible. For those of us that have made such a move , it is nonsensical for the most part.

We've had several posters on BE who have done this show and they all say the same. Heavily edited and slanted.

I think if you get on the show and treat it for what it is, you might gain something from actually being in a place, although I am not sure what. Hopefully, the families involved do get time to themselves to have their own look see.

It's the same for WDU New Zealand. Most of the families are taken to un-affordable Auckland & it is not always clear whether they could actually attain long term residency or not, nor how difficult and convoluted their route to remain would be.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So. As one may see, I have moved some posts into a thread of their own & moved that collective into a space all of its own too.

This thread is about the WDU series . The merits of the prog or otherwise.

Anyone want to take that further ,for whatever reason *sigh* and use it to smack it to assorted BE members for their opinions or viewpoints then you will find all that in this other place.

Cheery Bye.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I watch it from time to time in the hopes it will come from Adelaide and i can catch a glimpse of the world my sister lives in.She was an early immigrant and has brought up a family down under so we have heard all the ups and downs of a life on the other side of the world.We also visited a couple of times when funds allowed.It's lovely ,but then so is Portugal where I live. What remains is the never ending 'missing' of that much loved relative,that never goes away. I wish the programme far enough for encouraging this heartache. I posted on BEVS other site that Europe has alternatives to this. People can put their minds to moving closer to home first and see how that goes

Last edited by GeniB; Jan 20th 2016 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back the Skeggs family. They were good for a laugh. I'm sure they were edited for effect, but they seemed decent enough to me, and down to Earth, thinking back.