British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbc-wanted-down-under-series-9-a-849903/)

parlex Jan 3rd 2015 7:13 am

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

The new series of WDU starts Monday 5th Jan on BBC1. Enjoy ;)

BBC One - Wanted Down Under

louie Jan 3rd 2015 8:40 am

Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 9

Already got Sky+ set up to record the lot so I can watch them in the evenings.

Hubby's dreading it - he gets fed up with me "talking" at the telly "but what about..... "! I'm sure it'll be the usual unrealistic quasi-advertisement for a life in paradise where you only work a couple of days a week in your ideal job to pay for your bargain property overlooking a fabulous beach but I can't tear myself away. Still, we won't have to watch the next series as by then we too will be living in our bargain property etc so we must have got sucked in no matter how we tried to resist!

Pollyana Jan 3rd 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 11520256)
Already got Sky+ set up to record the lot so I can watch them in the evenings.

Hubby's dreading it - he gets fed up with me "talking" at the telly "but what about..... "! I'm sure it'll be the usual unrealistic quasi-advertisement for a life in paradise where you only work a couple of days a week in your ideal job to pay for your bargain property overlooking a fabulous beach but I can't tear myself away. Still, we won't have to watch the next series as by then we too will be living in our bargain property etc so we must have got sucked in no matter how we tried to resist!

Its car-crash TV isn't it! So often you can see whats coming and you just want to shout 'DON'T' :eek:

quoll Jan 3rd 2015 6:10 pm

Ye Gods! Noth another advertising unreality series. Still I suppose it's quite cheap to make.

the troubadour Jan 4th 2015 2:45 am

Unreality, isn't it just. Keeps the tap flowing though and as said cheap to make.

fromthetoon Jan 5th 2015 10:42 am

It can provide an opportunity to see the area you are hoping to move to and to hear what problems you may have once there. However, it is also nicely edited to gain viewer interest!
We used to look forward to watching it when in the UK over 4 years ago and not surprised it's still going well - there's still many who live in hope!!!

Amazulu Jan 5th 2015 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 11520965)
Unreality, isn't it just. Keeps the tap flowing though and as said cheap to make.

The BBC is keeping the 'tap flowing'? :blink:

Snap Shot Jan 6th 2015 6:09 am

Oh, it must be January again.

I can't get it to play as I'm outside the UK.

I've downloaded iPlayer but it's the same message.

I've just watched the Ethrington/Peat episode on You Tube. What planet is Kirsty on ? I've wanted to come here since I was 13, and repeat ad nauseum.

She was told she couldn't get a job until she had a couple more years experience. He was told he'd have to retrain. They then did their figures on projected salaries.....magic money in other words.

I see on the update they've shelved their plans for the time being. I hope now he's shown an interest in Australia because everyday is trip to the park, obviously he will now get the baby she agreed to have.

She changed jobs as she did not like the prison hospital she was working in and now works in A&E. Who knew ?

I feel sorry for her mum. She beat cancer 14 years ago now she's about to lose her daughter and grandson. What the hell was it about Australia that meant so much to Kirsty ?

Her Dad has remarried. The back story to these wannabes is usually some sort of car crash isn't it ?

At the age of 27 and similar age partner they are still renting after four years together. Oh yeah ? What's that all about ?

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 7:13 am

Originally Posted by parlex (Post 11520206)
The new series of WDU starts Monday 5th Jan on BBC1. Enjoy ;)

BBC One - Wanted Down Under

Is it a current i.e. up-to-date series or old hash?

Website doesn't really say. :blink:

mikelincs Jan 7th 2015 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11523203)
Oh, it must be January again.

I can't get it to play as I'm outside the UK.

I've downloaded iPlayer but it's the same message.

I've just watched the Ethrington/Peat episode on You Tube. What planet is Kirsty on ? I've wanted to come here since I was 13, and repeat ad nauseum.

She was told she couldn't get a job until she had a couple more years experience. He was told he'd have to retrain. They then did their figures on projected salaries.....magic money in other words.

I see on the update they've shelved their plans for the time being. I hope now he's shown an interest in Australia because everyday is trip to the park, obviously he will now get the baby she agreed to have.

She changed jobs as she did not like the prison hospital she was working in and now works in A&E. Who knew ?

I feel sorry for her mum. She beat cancer 14 years ago now she's about to lose her daughter and grandson. What the hell was it about Australia that meant so much to Kirsty ?

Her Dad has remarried. The back story to these wannabes is usually some sort of car crash isn't it ?

At the age of 27 and similar age partner they are still renting after four years together. Oh yeah ? What's that all about ?

If they are in the UK, then probably because they just can't afford to buy a house, as many young, and not so young, couples cant.

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11524317)
If they are in the UK, then probably because they just can't afford to buy a house, as many young, and not so young, couples cant.

Yep, it's the same the world over. Nothing will change really.

the troubadour Jan 7th 2015 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11523008)
The BBC is keeping the 'tap flowing'? :blink:

Obviously the interest in the matter on hand keeps the tap flowing with viewers tuning in. Easy to make and edit pretend reality show.

Amazulu Jan 7th 2015 8:17 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 11524344)
Obviously the interest in the matter on hand keeps the tap flowing with viewers tuning in. Easy to make and edit pretend reality show.

So you are saying that the BBC is deliberately and actively maintaining emigration from the UK to Australia by broadcasting WDU? :blink:

Pollyana Jan 7th 2015 8:38 am

Guys, as I say every time one of these shows runs, please be mindful that there are people on the site who have appeared in them, and there may well be others who are in this new series.
They are obviously heavily edited for tv, so lets have a bit of respect when discussing individual participants.

Thanks

fromthetoon Jan 7th 2015 9:46 am

Well said Pollyana. The BBC are very good with you during the filming period but they do get some facts wrong and they obviously do look for something to hook the audience.