Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Kristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

I think many people feel the same as you. We would not lose the people we do if these issues did not exist.

I can't quote the source on this but I recall reading that SA is ahead of many states in its approach to water shortage issues. Unfortunately, our water issues are more extreme to begin with though. Anyway, I could try to find that source. I believe there is a desalination plant in the wings. Not sure what to think of that, I am not informed enough.

You are right that a small group of the elite seem to have run the state since, well, forever. I feel people are becoming aware of that though. Many South Australians want our state to prosper. That is why we, personally, are going home. In my opinion you can't beat the lifestyle and I want our city and state to thrive - so I should be there. However, I understand you would not want to put your family through another move to a future you are not sure of.

I very much agree that wages need to be attractive to people. No amount of wine and sunshine can compete with a good wage offered elsewhere.

I'm not sure about the elec grid issues.

You are right that SA needs to lift its game, but I truly think we are starting to appreciate that and, after seeing the world and gaining experience, I'm game to give it a go. I hope SA will be a place you will want to return to in years to come.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:42 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add to my post about being offered positions that are below your experience that many times we took jobs that were below our experience. We were desperate.

I want to also stress that it seemed to have little to do with proving our worth and more to do with cutting costs. We found they want your experience but they don't want to pay you for it.

After 3 years of esteem bashing jobs and interviews in Australia it was so refreshing to be treated like professionals again in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Ozbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

OMG I know its sad, but just went to watch wanted down under, and to my shock an animal programme is on instead!!!! does anybody know if that is it now for this series, as it didn't seem too long! considering the last couple of weeks has all been repeats of the last series! How depressing I won't be able to get my daily fix of Australia!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Ozbound08
OMG I know its sad, but just went to watch wanted down under, and to my shock an animal programme is on instead!!!! does anybody know if that is it now for this series, as it didn't seem too long! considering the last couple of weeks has all been repeats of the last series! How depressing I won't be able to get my daily fix of Australia!
morning, cant answer your question but i did the same and even made the kids pause the wii game whilst i changed to over to find a man going down a river in a boat.not quite the same
I thought they would have done more of the revisits too seen as how they 'catapulted 20 families 10,000 miles....'

kathx
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:45 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

must admit, although I would normally be at work, been off for past couple of weeks and was gutted Friday, when the BBC announced that it would be something else today.....would like to catch up with more revisiteds.....Ems x
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Just wanted to add to my post about being offered positions that are below your experience that many times we took jobs that were below our experience. We were desperate.

I want to also stress that it seemed to have little to do with proving our worth and more to do with cutting costs. We found they want your experience but they don't want to pay you for it.

After 3 years of esteem bashing jobs and interviews in Australia it was so refreshing to be treated like professionals again in the UK.
This is another reason for us to return, although we knew wages were lower, we didn't expect it to be that different, and for my oh to be treated like an apprentice, when he had more experience than the co owner!! ( and qualifications!) A lot of employers know they can offer lower, as they know you're new here, and need the cashflow so you don't spend all your savings you brought with you.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
We found they want your experience but they don't want to pay you for it.
Just like the company I worked for in the UK.

Were really shocked when I up and left after 34 years but had they paid me the going rate for the job and recognised the value of experience then I might still be there today.

As it was they got pretty nasty as I left them in the shite and serves their farking right.

Have found the opposite in Australia though.

There are good and bad on both sides of the ocean but overall the good outweigh the bad.....on both sides.

Naturally on a forum such as this we hear more of the bad than the good though.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

howz this for a go bix. ?

Barra_pandie with 18 years experience in UK, US and Europe is working as a consultant for example say Sony , having known and designed their core products (gets a 457 in 10 days) for two decades , a year later gets offered a job using one of their core products in an Adelaide company that uses these "Sony" products, , when he gets there he is treated like an apprentice (even though he designed the core unit) and then gets to report to a "friend" of the boss that has less than a years experience.

yeah, right, South Australia is still in the 50's and there is a damn good reason for it.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
howz this for a go bix. ?

Barra_pandie with 18 years experience in UK, US and Europe is working as a consultant for example say Sony , having known and designed their core products (gets a 457 in 10 days) for two decades , a year later gets offered a job using one of their core products in an Adelaide company that uses these "Sony" products, , when he gets there he is treated like an apprentice (even though he designed the core unit) and then gets to report to a "friend" of the boss that has less than a years experience.

yeah, right, South Australia is still in the 50's and there is a damn good reason for it.
Should have checked the job description better. An official signed job offer cum job spec has to be submitted as part of the 457 visa process.
If he is doing what was stipulated on his and the cash reward is as contracted then he can't complain. If that's not so then the conditions of the visa grant have been breeched so he has recourse.

I mean come on. It's common knowledge the centre of IT in Australia is Sydney & Melbourne followed by Brisbane & Perth. Adelaide is in comparison an IT backwater. The guy may be clever but he aint smart.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Should have checked the job description better. An official signed job offer cum job spec has to be submitted as part of the 457 visa process.
If he is doing what was stipulated on his and the cash reward is as contracted then he can't complain. If that's not so then the conditions of the visa grant have been breeched so he has recourse.

I mean come on. It's common knowledge the centre of IT in Australia is Sydney & Melbourne followed by Brisbane & Perth. Adelaide is in comparison an IT backwater. The guy may be clever but he aint smart.
What's wrong with doing a 'lower' job anyway? Less stress, no need to get involved with the politics. When I think of some of the backstabbing bullshitting I used to get involved in - what a waste. That's why I like my job in the UK so much, great bunch of blokes, good money, easy job, let the manager have all the stress - they're paid for it
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by saveme
What's wrong with doing a 'lower' job anyway? Less stress, no need to get involved with the politics. When I think of some of the backstabbing bullshitting I used to get involved in - what a waste. That's why I like my job in the UK so much, great bunch of blokes, good money, easy job, let the manager have all the stress - they're paid for it
You're replying to the wrong bloke mate.
Deryans had the issue with it, not me.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:23 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme

But in my experience you were not expected just to do the lower job. You were expected to do extra work that was more to your experience and still only be paid for the lower. So all the stress but not the pay.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

the issue is one of mis-representation of duties, apparently Adelaide seems to have this rule that one should feel privileged to be there and accept a similar "job" less pay, no say and with all the associated bull that goes with it, after all, the Barossa is only 20 mins away and the wine, well let me tell you about the wine..........

I am not the only person to post on the issue of Adelaide business mistreating new skilled immigrants, and until that is fixed, there will be a net demand in Adelaide for skilled people. I saw amazing abuse of workers based on ugly favouritism.

May I refer you to the article and conversation I posted earlier regarding Vanishing State and Kristos, there are significant issues with Adelaide, and it would not be honest to not highlight them.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:34 am
Back in the UK

Originally Posted by deryans
the issue is one of mis-representation of duties, apparently Adelaide seems to have this rule that one should feel privileged to be there and accept a similar "job" less pay, no say and with all the associated bull that goes with it, after all, the Barossa is only 20 mins away and the wine, well let me tell you about the wine..........

That is exactly the sort of attitude that I found and the attitude that I have been trying to explain people shouldn't have to put up with if they are truly 'Wanted Down Under' No amount of sunshine, beach etc can make up for the misery of not being able to afford to pay the rent but still doing the same job you got paid more for in the UK.

It is not 'testing' out new entrants because they wouldn't do it to an 'Australian' who had moved interstate where there are also differences in markets, legal issues and working environments. And if they did they certainly wouldn't get them to do a job ten years behind their experience!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love this programme. It has really given me an insight to other places and other families experiences too. Its always nice to know your not alone. I cant wait to get to Perth eventually. The wait will be all worth while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.