Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by TJUK
Today's was a bit on the tongue in cheek side....older bloke....really older and younger woman...married she was a alr=ternative therapist of some sort and he was well...retired!

They were looking at Cairns I believe..he said that she may go out first and he "might" follow..Mmm bit strange....
I wondered what sort of visa they would go on and if he would even pass the meds???

Very odd indeed.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:35 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I wondered what sort of visa they would go on and if he would even pass the meds???

Very odd indeed.
I think the lad that "eagerly" wanted to employer would look at some sort of sponsorship???
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Marvel
It seems that almost everyone is looking at a drop in wages - and that a lot of groceries and things are more expensive than the UK.

But, then again, a lot of folk who've made the move reckon it evens out.

Maths isn't my strongest point, but it doesn't seem to add up to me.

That seems like a major concern and a huge risk.
Petrol is a lot cheaper, wages are lower but its the lifestyle you come here for....yes it is a risk but we enjoy our life way more. We would never go back.
Have you been invited to any barbis or been to free movies or fireworks on the beach in the Uk?, free parking, etc it all adds up... and bbq steak is 4GBpounds a kilo
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:55 pm
Superhero

The Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really nice

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Petrol is a lot cheaper, wages are lower but its the lifestyle you come here for....yes it is a risk but we enjoy our life way more. We would never go back.
Have you been invited to any barbis or been to free movies or fireworks on the beach in the Uk?, free parking, etc it all adds up... and bbq steak is 4GBpounds a kilo
Thanks, I guess it works out, otherwise so many people wouldn't manage to emigrate.

I suppose it's other costs in the UK that you said they don't have in Oz - like parking - that make the difference. There must be so many other things I haven't considered, that's what this forum's for!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TJUK
I think the lad that "eagerly" wanted to employer would look at some sort of sponsorship???
Yes, that would seem to be the only way for them to get a visa. As he was talking about 6 months on and six months off, maybe he didn't even want a visa, just wanted to visit?? Strange marriage.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:11 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jonah38
Yep. Recognised his voice first, very distinctive, but he looks old now. Still had his tv presenter tone and views though.

His views of Cairns where spot on, nice to visit and see but very limited for him and houses are expensive.

Cairns is indeed a smallish town really with a harbour and Lagoon area. No beach to praise really. Although the beaches further north are nice (palm cove etc), you cant really swim at your leasure due to the crocs. The scuba diving sites off Cairns are fantastic though.

Personally i wouldnt choose Cairns if had a young family, very limited for children
I really loved Cairns when I lived there - I was going to say I was amazed about the house prices, but Cairns has alot going for it and being a small place has huge amount of growth opportunities so I guess I can see reason the huge price rises.. I am going to move to Brissie, but am very keen on buying property there still.

I didn't love todays show - yesterdays was really positive and this one seemed a bit forced. And I get a little frustrated when the families get shown a very limited side to the place. I mean the job she was shown didn't really give the lady a chance - it would be like showing a fireman a bbq store and saying there you go!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:26 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I really loved Cairns when I lived there - I was going to say I was amazed about the house prices, but Cairns has alot going for it and being a small place has huge amount of growth opportunities so I guess I can see reason the huge price rises.. I am going to move to Brissie, but am very keen on buying property there still.

I didn't love todays show - yesterdays was really positive and this one seemed a bit forced. And I get a little frustrated when the families get shown a very limited side to the place. I mean the job she was shown didn't really give the lady a chance - it would be like showing a fireman a bbq store and saying there you go!!
i wish we could see the show in oz, i remember last year sitting watching every episode to find out as much as i could while still dreaming of the day we would finally be on the gold coast, now weve been here a few months and it does seem strange reading all your comments on the new show and i cant even watch it. remember when your writing about the people on the programme a lot of them will use this site. and do have feelings too.
wishing everyone all the best with their plans
lesley
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshtaffy
hi bix..just read that u would like to view wanted down under..just seen this on the tv..its a website that u can view programms from different channels that u have missed....hope this helps.

and hope it helps other peeps down under

p.s u might have to install the software

click on last 7 days

than bbcone

than pick a day

than click on morning

and than wanted down under is there in the boxes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
If you can't get that one, how about trying http://www.tvcatchup.com/

click on recordings and search for wanted down under - simple
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
It is a shame but you seem to have "missed" what Cairns is and what it is about.

The beach at the seafront is not a beach.
It is not supposed to be a beach.
It is not advertised as a beach.
It is mudflats and the breeding ground and sanctuary for much wildlife.

The beaches are on the Northern side of the CBD and yes they are in Cairns. You make it sound like you have to travel for days to get to them. It's as little as 5 minutes up the road to the first one.

"Very limited for children". Sorry, but that's bolox of the highest order.
I have never lived in such a family orientated place and one that provides
so much for their kids.

Well said Bix
Liz

House prices high ?
Tell that to Perthites, Sydneysiders, Melbournians et al. Not many would agree. Prices have risen and are still rising but are still on the low side for many of Aus cities.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:40 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seashelle33
If you can't get that one, how about trying http://www.tvcatchup.com/

click on recordings and search for wanted down under - simple
there for uk only
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike-Ju
]Did you see how upset she was though, thats the sort of thing that splits up marriages
But coming here with one partner hating it is just as likely to split the family as staying in the UK with one partner hating it.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But coming here with one partner hating it is just as likely to split the family as staying in the UK with one partner hating it.
That is so true. Not wishing to wash their dirty linen in public, they had bigger problems than moving IMHO. Back on topic, the pity is that this program was more about their issues than exploring the opportunity to emigrate. As others have said, there would have been scores better candidates to send, ones that at least knew they wanted to move.

Still, its compulsive viewing in our house.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:44 am
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if the BBC or whoever made the programme is looking at a follow up series about how people have settled after their initial show?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

If you read back a few pages i think someone mentioned that next week the bbc are following up the last series.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by cinderella
Bob from today's programme was a presenter on Granada Reports for years. All those from the North West will remember him.
Yep. I thought it was him. Specially the voice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.