Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Just watched todays episode of WDU - what I can't get over is that they do not try and show the children (particularly the teenagers) what is on offer to them. Could they not visit a school for a day or two or meet people with same age kids and hang out so that they see what it could be like.

And I don't mean to be heartless but I find it difficult that these children have so much say in the decision making. I understand totally that they are frightened, they are leaving everything that the know and familiar with but how can they possibly imagine what their lives will be like after the move. They don't have the knowledge that we do about making new friends relatively easily etc.
I think the parents should assert themselves. My son is very worried and I try and reassure him that we will be doing this as a family, that there will be highs and lows but that we will be together through it. Ultimately me and my OH will make the decision that we think is best for the whole family - and also that we might get it wrong and if so we will rethink. My son would prefer to be with our family unit then his friends.
I moved a number of times as a child. I don't remember being consulted - we just had to get on with it and we did. Are kids getting too much say these days?

Anyway enough of the rant...sorry if I sound judgemental. I think I might be getting over WDU. I thought I would see more of Brisbane than we did and feel disappointed. Although it was good to have a look at the schools.
I would like to know if they will tell us how many actually did go...
Hi,
I think they are addressing different issues each episode, given the importance of children and schooling in peoples decisions you may well find that it is discussed in one of the remaining 9 episodes...
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:32 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
Hi guys

I was in Oz for 6 months staying in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth - also took in the Gold Coast and Canberra. I've been watching most of the 2nd week and liked the couple from Ireland and the guy from Bournemouth who was sensible enough not to see things through rose-tinted spectacles, like a lot of others.

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? This is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River and the Pinnacles need at least an overnight stay. To get to the nearest Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok but most Oz cities are on the coast. Fancy being stuck all the time in boring Perth apart from when u take yr holidays - mad.

As for me I'd still rather live in the UK despite Anthony Blair's best efforts to make this country as undesirable as possible .
You don't need an overnight stay to visit the Pinnacles, just thought I'd tell you.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:55 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

It was nice to see some schools today - still seemed to be GC rather than Brisbane city although they did show shots of the city - I can see why some people watching would assume Brisbane was right next to lots of great GC kind of beaches.

My kids are off sick today and they enjoyed watching it - its hard to imagine the size of the schools when they go to our local school which has around 200 pupils. The one today had 2000! My eldest (8) cried a bit about mising her friends when she was watching the family messages bit but I think the puppy shop won her over. My 6 yr old has always said he doesn't want to go - but he liked the idea of falling off a surf board.

My two are young enough that I know they will adapt and we wouldn't change our decision if they said they didn't want to go but it must be hard with a teenager who doesn't want to go - it must be easier if everyone in the family is behind the move.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Just watched todays episode of WDU - what I can't get over is that they do not try and show the children (particularly the teenagers) what is on offer to them. Could they not visit a school for a day or two or meet people with same age kids and hang out so that they see what it could be like.

And I don't mean to be heartless but I find it difficult that these children have so much say in the decision making. I understand totally that they are frightened, they are leaving everything that the know and familiar with but how can they possibly imagine what their lives will be like after the move. They don't have the knowledge that we do about making new friends relatively easily etc.
I think the parents should assert themselves. My son is very worried and I try and reassure him that we will be doing this as a family, that there will be highs and lows but that we will be together through it. Ultimately me and my OH will make the decision that we think is best for the whole family - and also that we might get it wrong and if so we will rethink. My son would prefer to be with our family unit then his friends.
I moved a number of times as a child. I don't remember being consulted - we just had to get on with it and we did. Are kids getting too much say these days?

Anyway enough of the rant...sorry if I sound judgemental. I think I might be getting over WDU. I thought I would see more of Brisbane than we did and feel disappointed. Although it was good to have a look at the schools.
I said the same to my wife last night when we watched a recording of one of the shows last night. As a parent you need to look at the bigger picture. A 7 year old child is not going to think of the health impacts living in Australia could have. Or the opertunities that child will have when they get older. The better schooling system... the list goes on and on. All the child will think about (naturally) is their loss of contact friends and family. It's up to the parents to look at the bigger picture.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I said the same to my wife last night when we watched a recording of one of the shows last night. As a parent you need to look at the bigger picture. A 7 year old child is not going to think of the health impacts living in Australia could have. Or the opportunities that child will have when they get older. The better schooling system... the list goes on and on. All the child will think about (naturally) is their loss of contact friends and family. It's up to the parents to look at the bigger picture.
BTW I think the show is utter utter drivel. Regurgitating the same stuff over and over. It does not address many of the issues facing a family when moving. And what’s with all the teary sentiments from the family videos? They have only being gone for a weeks holiday. Do they tell the family they have actually gone for good?

Why do they not show any of the schools?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:21 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

after watching todays wdu for gods sake if your kids are more than likely gonna be upset and deter you from moving to oz and your gonna listen then why bother starting to migration process obviously this family had or they would not be part of the show.

.my kids are yahay lets go stuff my friends, all of them want to move and i have 4 kids..life is about change we have to accept it if we want a better life then change is good some people are just stuck in their ways and are insecure.we can always make new friends change is part of life we all die and got to adapt to that,so why not make the most of life and have a better one 'move to oz'

take a look at their home couldnt they of at least washed up and had a tidy before letting the cameras in their home look at the home they could have in queensland amazing and seeing as they had alot of equity to take wow.....i am sure that she could of taken a job in the church school with her religeous ed training,why just think your choices are narrowed just because you look at one state school.i must say i had an appointment so missed the ending of the programme so dont know what they picked...uk or oz.....all i can say is we dont have much equity and all our family are excited about the move two of us and our four kids we are all glad we have started the migration process....
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:44 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
after watching todays wdu for gods sake if your kids are more than likely gonna be upset and deter you from moving to oz and your gonna listen then why bother starting to migration process obviously this family had or they would not be part of the show.

.my kids are yahay lets go stuff my friends, all of them want to move and i have 4 kids..life is about change we have to accept it if we want a better life then change is good some people are just stuck in their ways and are insecure.we can always make new friends change is part of life we all die and got to adapt to that,so why not make the most of life and have a better one 'move to oz'

take a look at their home couldnt they of at least washed up and had a tidy before letting the cameras in their home look at the home they could have in queensland amazing and seeing as they had alot of equity to take wow.....i am sure that she could of taken a job in the church school with her religeous ed training,why just think your choices are narrowed just because you look at one state school.i must say i had an appointment so missed the ending of the programme so dont know what they picked...uk or oz.....all i can say is we dont have much equity and all our family are excited about the move two of us and our four kids we are all glad we have started the migration process....
Interesting programme today. At last we saw inside a school. It looked very nice. I am sure loads of us have looked at this school's website in the past, so it was nice to see inside it. It would be great if the children in these programmes could attend a school for a day. So that they could really be sold the facilities and opportunities.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Taniar is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there taped todays programme in Brisbane/Gold Coast? Our uncooperative vcr decided not to work properly today so i missed the full programme!! And there i wascasually walking round Tesco thinking i'd watch it with a nice cuppa and my feet up when i got back!!

Any one help please?

Ta very much
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:58 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

I thought it was good to see the schools good to see kids waving and excited in the back ground instead of sticking their tounges out or fingers up which you would almost deffo get here,I think they should put uk kids in the classroom to mingle with the oz kids do a bit of surfin for p.e got to be better than rounders in the cold rain!!!...watch out for the sharks mind!!

If any one is unsure about moving to oz go,it is better to go even if you dont like it, go for the experience go so you can at least say you tried it you never know you may love it go because you may only get one shot, and one day it may be too late, and would you ever forgive yourself if your sat down one day too old and you think i wish i moved 10 years ago. go go go if its not for you then oh well come back to dreary rip off britain...........
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:58 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taniar
HELP!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there taped todays programme in Brisbane/Gold Coast? Our uncooperative vcr decided not to work properly today so i missed the full programme!! And there i wascasually walking round Tesco thinking i'd watch it with a nice cuppa and my feet up when i got back!!

Any one help please?

Ta very much
I think I did in case I was out! You really that interested tho? IT wasn't that great. If you want I can check and sent it but it's the same old drivel.... the showed some schools which was the best bit. Big schools, but clean and PACKED with facilities for the children and a positive vibe (although of course that could be for the cameras!). If you are desperate pm me!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:01 am

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

i must say i had an appointment so missed the ending of the programme so dont know what they picked...uk or oz.....all i can say is we dont have much equity and all our family are excited about the move two of us and our four kids we are all glad we have started the migration process....
Three chose OZ and surprise surprise teenager chose UK!
p.s. I thought that about their house too! And the kids bedroom !!!
Now if I had the BBC in filming even I would give it a clean and I HATE housework!
Good luck with your move - how far are you along?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I said the same to my wife last night when we watched a recording of one of the shows last night. As a parent you need to look at the bigger picture. A 7 year old child is not going to think of the health impacts living in Australia could have. Or the opertunities that child will have when they get older. The better schooling system... the list goes on and on. All the child will think about (naturally) is their loss of contact friends and family. It's up to the parents to look at the bigger picture.
EXACTLY!!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:05 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

They picked Oz of course! But again it seems it was the bloke who was the driving force for them going. Come on wheres the girl power in these programmes!

Jackie x
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:32 am
Banned

thanks guys for letting me know who chose what, message for baby catcher,
we are at the beginning stage just handed in the trade assesment long way to go i think, not sure what to do when i get the visas, as cant sell my house for 5 years, got pets but i am sure i will think of something.perhaps rent my house out and ship pets or just wait the 5 years and sell house will have equity then
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

My sentiments entirely. In no way do I feel you were ranting !!!!
How on earth does any child (for arguments sake up to the age of 15-16) have a balanced view of the world? What will they do when they get there? - sit at the table and mope about what has been left behind?? Any parent with any sense would surely see that the children will, in a few years, be thanking them for taking them there. It would be interesting to do a "WDU 5 years on programme" and see how many of the tricky teenagers would come back to the UK after 5 years in Oz ! I agree with the "soft parent syndrome". I was moved 3 times between 10 and 15 years old (not abroad - admittedly) but far enough to lose touch with my old friends. So what ?? made some new ones. I had reservations each time, but they quickly disappeared.
We have had two families close to us emigrate in the last 6 months - To Melbourne and Adelaide respectively. Both families in at the deep end, both feet, not looking back (or giving themselves time to look back). Sit and dwell over what you are leaving behind and it ain't gonna work.

Also, what kind of messages are the rellies and friends leaving on this show? Did you see any today who wished them good luck? Any that said, "go for it -we wish we were". Nope, none.
Perhaps I have been sucked into exactly what the programme wants !!!! For me, this part is definately "script co-erced" or heavily edited. Or all the families so far gave had miserable gits for friends !!

One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!

Last edited by tofster; Jan 29th 2007 at 2:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.