basic start

Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:28 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Default basic start

hi there
we will be coming over in the near future. we have to dogs which we have the money to get them over and the money to get our household goods over as well.
after all that we will be left with £10.000 left to start us of. we will rent a home for around 200 a week. and we will have to get a 2nd hand car dont know how much these cost probably expensive. we will start of with the very basics till we get on our feet.

do you think this is enough to start us of.

regards
john
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:48 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: basic start

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi there
we will be coming over in the near future. we have to dogs which we have the money to get them over and the money to get our household goods over as well.
after all that we will be left with £10.000 left to start us of. we will rent a home for around 200 a week. and we will have to get a 2nd hand car dont know how much these cost probably expensive. we will start of with the very basics till we get on our feet.

regards
john

John,

Alot of people on here will tell you that you need stacks of money to come over and you have to buy a fridge costing $1,500 and a car will cost $7,000, but we (the Mrs and two kids) came over with $12,000. We bought an old banger for less than a grand and travelled around staying in units/ caravan parks and looking at places. We found a house on the Gold Coast, I got a job and bought the basics. We're getting the rest of our stuff as we go, so 10k ($23ishk) will be fine to get you kicked off.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:22 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=diddy]John,

cheers mate thats what i like to hear i used to work with a bloke when i worked in collins the book company and he was from sydney and he said the same. we are bringinging all of our stuff over fridges couches beds e.t.c. so all thats done.

regards
john..
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:41 am
vor
Forum Regular

vor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi there

regards
john

It's similar to starting a business - the more capital you have behind you the better you are able to deal with unexpected problems.

Yes, it can be done on #10,000 but what if it takes longer than expected to find work? You'd be out of cash, forced to move back to the UK because you can't claim benefits in Oz, and you'd be thousands out of pocket thanks to two sets of moving costs.

You have to decide how much risk you are willing to take. Emigrating is a great experience but it comes with a lot of stress even when you're not worried about how you're going to pay the next months rent.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:12 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i came out with £3000. no problems for me.

and if you are prepared to do anything, there is always work!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back to UK Oct 05,Gold Coast Feb 05, Perth Jan 2005 (South Wales b4 that)
Wal10 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brisnick
i came out with £3000. no problems for me.

and if you are prepared to do anything, there is always work!
We came, whatever the cost and the risk factor, I won't scare you with how much of our savings we've dipped into in 9 months. Even if it all goes pear-shaped it's a privilege to have the opportunity to broaden our horizons and try something different on a world-wide scale. You only live once, and I think when I'm old and croaky I'd rather look back at a few bad choices in my life than to look back at missed opportunities that I'd never know how they might have worked out if I'd taken them.

Out of interest, what line of work will you be looking for, and in which state?

Just to prepare you a little for what's in store when you get here:
Many occupations require a licence before you can look for work, it varies from state to state. Also, UK qualifications are not guaranteed to map across to Aus ones, and may take a lot of paper-chasing and application fees to get sorted. Tools of trade may not be compatible. Many people have to retrain? Also, unemployment figures published today are not so rosey, but that might change again within a month.

Despite all this, [return to top]!!!

Y
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:34 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You will be fine with that money Just be thrifty , jobs should be fine if you can't get work as a hairdresser or barber anywhere in the world then there is something weird going on !
The Hairdressers Act of 1946 states that all persons practising hairdressing for fee, reward, salary, wages or any other remuneration or consideration must be registered.

Therefore you are required to be registered by law.

If you qualified outside of Western Australia and not exempted through reciprocity with current work experience, you will be required to undertake the Boards exams. Currently reciprocity applies only to hairdressers qualifying in Australia and New Zealand.

When you arrive, please ring 08 9381 9966 to obtain further information and an application form.

Note that number and get your licence sorted as soon as you arrive !
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jocky boy]hi there
We come over with just 13,000 pounds and some clothes (all of which we never wore!!). Anyway, had to start from scratch and buy everything, it can be done so long as you can get work and are determined. Good luck
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:28 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

Thumbs up Re: basic start

everybody thamks for your reply's this gives me the info on things i need to know to get a new start on life over there if there is anything else could someone give me some ideas.

perthform i am a barber to trade and we are going to bunbury the 2nd largest city in the westen state compared to perth.

regards
john..
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:32 am
Just Joined

kimosavi is an unknown quantity at this point

hi brisnick, what would be the jobs you say? i ask because i will be working on them as soon as i get there and i'm willing to work in anything at the beginning, how long would it take to get one since you get off the plane? your comments are appreciated...