Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a Kiwi PR work in Australia?

Can a Kiwi PR work in Australia?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough
Default Can a Kiwi PR work in Australia?

Hi

Just a question I was asked by a friend of mine last week as i havent got a clue.

Can a kiwi PR work in Australia? or do they have to go through the immigration bit....????

She is over 46 but would like to check out and work in Australia for a year ..
any suggestions?

Oh and would it affect her getting her NZ citizehship by leaving for a year.?

Sorry its vague, just a general enquiry

Thank you!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a Kiwi PR work in Australia?

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
Hi

Just a question I was asked by a friend of mine last week as i havent got a clue.

Can a kiwi PR work in Australia? or do they have to go through the immigration bit....????

She is over 46 but would like to check out and work in Australia for a year ..
any suggestions?

Oh and would it affect her getting her NZ citizehship by leaving for a year.?

Sorry its vague, just a general enquiry

Thank you!

1. There are *no* special rights in Australia for New Zealand PRs.

2. It certainly will affect getting her New Zealand citizenship. She could well have to wait 5 years on her return to NZ. If she didn't have an indefinite returning resident visa, she might not be able to get back into NZ and might have to go home after her stay in Australia (this has happened to others).

3. It's quite hard for those aged 45 or over to get Australian PR.

Your friend would be best advised to forget Australia and not to even think about the subject again until she is sworn in as a New Zealand citizen.

http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jeremy,
I will pass that on to her. so when she is a New zealand Citizen she can go over to Australia to work for a year and not have to worry about not coming back to New Zealand. Thats quite frightening I am glad I asked! I'lll tell her the news.. she'll be mortified if she knew a 'trip' to OZ would endanger her NZ status for Citizenship. I'll tell her to wait until she is a NZC before venturing off !!
Thanks again

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. There are *no* special rights in Australia for New Zealand PRs.

2. It certainly will affect getting her New Zealand citizenship. She could well have to wait 5 years on her return to NZ. If she didn't have an indefinite returning resident visa, she might not be able to get back into NZ and might have to go home after her stay in Australia (this has happened to others).

3. It's quite hard for those aged 45 or over to get Australian PR.

Your friend would be best advised to forget Australia and not to even think about the subject again until she is sworn in as a New Zealand citizen.

http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
Thanks Jeremy,
I will pass that on to her. so when she is a New zealand Citizen she can go over to Australia to work for a year and not have to worry about not coming back to New Zealand. Thats quite frightening I am glad I asked!

Many people don't ask questions until it's too late and they find they have broken the residence clock for citizenship, or lost their PR altogether.

I'lll tell her the news.. she'll be mortified if she knew a 'trip' to OZ would endanger her NZ status for Citizenship. I'll tell her to wait until she is a NZC before venturing off !!
Thanks again
Not only that, but one of the requirements for NZ citizenship is generally that she should intend to continue living in NZ. That's why she ought not to even think about going anywhere else until she's sworn in as a New Zealand citizen. Then she can think about options.

New Zealand citizens can live, work and study in Australia but no longer with full permanent resident rights automatically - http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

Jeremy