Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

barclays bank and ozforex customers

barclays bank and ozforex customers

Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

kazza will become famous soon enough
Default barclays bank and ozforex customers

how do you send money from your uk bank account to ozforex while you are living in australia i have been trying to sort this out all day and barclays havnt been much help we are only changing enough money over in the next few days but want to be able to change more when were in oz when the rate gets better
please help
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: barclays bank and ozforex customers

Originally Posted by kazza
how do you send money from your uk bank account to ozforex while you are living in australia i have been trying to sort this out all day and barclays havnt been much help we are only changing enough money over in the next few days but want to be able to change more when were in oz when the rate gets better
please help
Not sure about Barclays, but I use Internet banking and/or telephone banking with Natwest. I'd guess Barclays can offer the same facility. Only drawback is a £10,000 per day limit.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:06 pm
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

please help

If you are a Barclays customer its easy as Oxforex's account is also with Barclays.

Register to do your banking online and then its a simple transaction to transfer the money from your Barclays account to the Barclays account of Oxforex. As the previous post mentions there is a daily limit of UKP10,000 if you call them up or UKP1,000 if you do it online. Anything larger then you just write a letter to Barclays authorising the transaction.

Remember that first you have to set up the deal with Oxforex, which you can also do online or just as easy by phone here in Oz - they are open 24hours.

If you want any more help then let me know
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

I've also had tremendous problems with Barclays trying to move my money to the Ozforex UK Barclays account. The Indian Call Centres are worse than useless and keep telling me I need to visit a branch or move the money over a number of days ! As a former employee and customer for over 20 years I've been more than mildly pissed off with them.

To move any large sum of money whilst outside of the UK you need to write a letter to Barclays CHAPS department in Leicester (I have the address, PM me if you need it and I'll dig it out). You need to tell them to that you are living in Oz, and that you want to move XXXX amount of money from XXXX account to Ozforex (give them full details) on XXXX date. There is a £20 charge so you need to acknowledge that and tell them which account you want to be debited with that charge. The letter must be an original - i.e. not a scan or a fax or an email - and needs all account signatories. Give them your full contact details in Oz and tell them you are happy to be contacted to answer any security questions. They need about 4-5 working days from the day they receive the letter to complete your instruction as they need to dig out your original signature card.

Good luck !
Col

please help
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:18 am
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I've also had tremendous problems with Barclays trying to move my money to the Ozforex UK Barclays account. The Indian Call Centres are worse than useless and keep telling me I need to visit a branch or move the money over a number of days ! As a former employee and customer for over 20 years I've been more than mildly pissed off with them.

To move any large sum of money whilst outside of the UK you need to write a letter to Barclays CHAPS department in Leicester (I have the address, PM me if you need it and I'll dig it out). You need to tell them to that you are living in Oz, and that you want to move XXXX amount of money from XXXX account to Ozforex (give them full details) on XXXX date. There is a £20 charge so you need to acknowledge that and tell them which account you want to be debited with that charge. The letter must be an original - i.e. not a scan or a fax or an email - and needs all account signatories. Give them your full contact details in Oz and tell them you are happy to be contacted to answer any security questions. They need about 4-5 working days from the day they receive the letter to complete your instruction as they need to dig out your original signature card.

Good luck !
Col
Not that i'm a fan of Barclays but i think its the whole UK banking system!!!

Here i can transfer upto $20,000 a day online but with Barclays its only UKP1,000??

The thing with the large amount transfers that baffles me is that YOU cant ring them to make the transfer but if you write them a letter THEY ring you to check the details and then transfer the money!! In these days of electronic communication you still have to resort to writing a letter. But then again the UK banking sector has always been behind the rest of the world in adapting to newer ways of doing things. And they charge you to move your own money - but thats just a way of getting you used to paying bank charges in Oz for almost everything.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:27 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jce
Not that i'm a fan of Barclays but i think its the whole UK banking system!!!

Here i can transfer upto $20,000 a day online but with Barclays its only UKP1,000??

The thing with the large amount transfers that baffles me is that YOU cant ring them to make the transfer but if you write them a letter THEY ring you to check the details and then transfer the money!! In these days of electronic communication you still have to resort to writing a letter. But then again the UK banking sector has always been behind the rest of the world in adapting to newer ways of doing things. And they charge you to move your own money - but thats just a way of getting you used to paying bank charges in Oz for almost everything.

I think that's more to do with banking compliance and regulations than the individual bank.

If your account was with Barclays in the Isle of Man or Channel Islands, for example, the whole process (money in your account at receiving end) could take as little as 3 days (2 days may even be possible, depending on timing).

Oh, you're not subject to the 1k limit either (poss. 10k).

Big.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:08 am
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Don't get me started with this - I could rant all day about the amount of time I have spent on the phone to Barclays recently!

However.... my experience of the call centres goes along the lines of answering the security questions (which are always the same but sometimes I pass and sometimes I fail despite answering with the same responses each time) then explaining what the issue is. When they give me some useless 'read off a script' response I ask to be put through to someone who can actually help with my issue. When I am told they can't put me through I explain that I will stay on the phone and in 20 minutes after a heated discussion between us they will transfer me to the UK so why don't they do that now and save us both the trouble. Of course they don't so we spend 20 minutes in heated discussion with lots of responses that don't actually make sense then they finally put me through to the UK!!

I have been told, when I eventually get put through to the UK, that if you ask to be put through to the UK they have to put you through - its Barclays policy. Of course this isn't understood by those in the call centre so I now have a 'note' on my record and a reference number to give to those call centre employees when they refuse to transfer me. I dread to think what 'notes' are on my record though!!

To get to this point has taken me many months of painful conversations with them. I also have issues with the way they suddenly just change your internet banking membership number and not tell you - not even a letter was sent. Then they change your daily limits without telling you. Then they put a bar on you making payments from one of your accounts - but you can transfer the money to your other account then make the payment anyway. And I just love the way that they are always telling you to go into 'your branch' and they can't seem to comprehend that a trip into a branch in the UK when you live in Australia is more than a mild inconvenience. Its been a very frustrating time.

Anyway I must shut up as it turned into a rant anyway - sorry. I will take the positive from this in that it doesn't appear to be a personal vendetta against me - just appalling customer service standards.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

kazza will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone im glad ive got this site coz barclays dont know what they are doing im all sorted now and off to oz monday
karen
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Transferred our bulk amount via HIFX before we migrated.

Later; we had no probs at all with Barclays, transferred our remaining cash (around 40,000 sterling) a year after we arrived, from UK Barclays account to Aus bank account via their International dept.