Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BANKS - which one can I join and access while still here in UK?

BANKS - which one can I join and access while still here in UK?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:54 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BANKS - which one can I join and access while still here in UK?

Sorry guys - i know this question raised before, but i've spent about a hour getting distracted reading other threads while trying to find it!!!!

I did a thorough search and comparison of the banks and decided on Commonwealth. The process has been painful though and after several months setting up the account, they now advise the only way i can activate online banking is to go to London to identify myself!

OK, so before I slump on the floor with the stress of it all - can anyone recommend a good bank that I can set up online, access online in the UK, and receive good service too while over in Aus? We're settling in Perth if this helps?

Also, which type of transaction account did you go for, seems to be a plethera of options out there!

Cheers KAREN
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:12 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BANKS - which one can I join and access while still here in UK?

Originally Posted by kbdb
Sorry guys - i know this question raised before, but i've spent about a hour getting distracted reading other threads while trying to find it!!!!

I did a thorough search and comparison of the banks and decided on Commonwealth. The process has been painful though and after several months setting up the account, they now advise the only way i can activate online banking is to go to London to identify myself!

OK, so before I slump on the floor with the stress of it all - can anyone recommend a good bank that I can set up online, access online in the UK, and receive good service too while over in Aus? We're settling in Perth if this helps?

Also, which type of transaction account did you go for, seems to be a plethera of options out there!

Cheers KAREN
Ive got westpac bookmarked for use when the time comes (hopefully) might be worth a look.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sssstew
Ive got westpac bookmarked for use when the time comes (hopefully) might be worth a look.
Just sent of papers to OZ for ANZ

https://ola.anz.com/noah/app/dda/wel...GQ&apptype=436

Costs 20-00 by to post via Inerparcel...ID when your over there.

Hmmm......Anyone else donethis route ?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Mutley is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened Westpac transactions & savings after reading the thread

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=3816

I've paid money in and am earning some interest but can't withdraw until they verify your idenity which you arrange at a branch of your choice.

rgds jim
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

We've set up an ANZ account. Really simple to do. They do cahrge for the account though. First month was waived then $5 per month. It was ok for us as we just got a friend to pop some money in to cover us til we get there. Dont need to provide ID til you get there so can only pay in until then, not withdraw.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

All banks need you to ID yourself before transacting. Its money laundering regs.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't produced any ID yet and aren't required to until we arrive in OZ, just like the OP. How can we possibly launder money if we cant withdraw?
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

Its possible to open it before leaving on the traveltowork.co.uk website. They open accounts in most migration locations
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:02 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I'd go for HSBC! Easy to open from the UK (as they are obviously based in the UK as well).

They only have one branch in Perth, but if you get the online savings account (which pays a pretty reasonable 5% interest I believe), then you rarely need to use a branch anyway, but you still get an ATM card, cheque book and the internet banking.

They also have minimal charges compared to most Aussie banks (no monthly fee etc).
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Reids
We haven't produced any ID yet and aren't required to until we arrive in OZ, just like the OP. How can we possibly launder money if we cant withdraw?

He means that you can't withdraw until you get here due to the money laundering laws.

So it really doesn't matter which bank you go to, you can only deposit money in until you have verified your identity to the bank.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Budgie
I'd go for HSBC! Easy to open from the UK (as they are obviously based in the UK as well).

They only have one branch in Perth, but if you get the online savings account (which pays a pretty reasonable 5% interest I believe), then you rarely need to use a branch anyway, but you still get an ATM card, cheque book and the internet banking.

They also have minimal charges compared to most Aussie banks (no monthly fee etc).
HSBC get a thumbs up from us too

here's some previous threads for the OP to have a read of
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2436863
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2650102

that first one has details of where to go for the HSBC application if you're interested

ah ABCD... i certainly miss your informative posts :reminiscing smiley:
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
HSBC get a thumbs up from us too

here's some previous threads for the OP to have a read of
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2436863
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2650102

that first one has details of where to go for the HSBC application if you're interested

ah ABCD... i certainly miss your informative posts :reminiscing smiley:

I bank with HSBC too, and have no complaints. The great thing about the online savings account is that all of the 100 points of ID verification is done in an HSBC branch in the UK, so the account is fully active as soon as it's open. There is no faffing around having to go to a branch when you arrive to verify your identity and activate the account. You can use it with full (telephone and internet) access straight away.

They send you an ATM card and a cheque book which you can use straight away. This is great for paying for things before you arrive, like professional registration fees etc.

The Online Savings account can also have a Visa Debit card attached to it, but you have to request one either via Email from within your account or by ringing telephone banking. You can also withdraw or deposit money (and cheques) over the counter at any Post Office.

I have been here for over a year now, and never needed to go to my branch.

S
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
He means that you can't withdraw until you get here due to the money laundering laws.

So it really doesn't matter which bank you go to, you can only deposit money in until you have verified your identity to the bank.
Hi

I had put in my original post about not being able to withdraw. I just didnt like the way his post was so blunt.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Not strictly true Wendy - HSBC accounts are verified in the UK, so are fully active immediately. No Faff.

S
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4Reids
We've set up an ANZ account. Really simple to do. They do cahrge for the account though. First month was waived then $5 per month. It was ok for us as we just got a friend to pop some money in to cover us til we get there. Dont need to provide ID til you get there so can only pay in until then, not withdraw.
ANZ Accounts can also be setup and activated from London. See here for more details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.