Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bar/pub jobs...does it pay enough?

Bar/pub jobs...does it pay enough?

Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Lauren.. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bar/pub jobs...does it pay enough?

Just wondering if a bar/pub job pays enough to live on, pay rent on etc. The majority of decent apartments I can see in Australia go for about $125-$150 per week, so am I kidding myself that a bar job would be sufficient to live on with rent and the general everyday expenses?

How much do bars usually pay?

And do they have an issue with hiring people with a working holiday visa?

I'm Scottish, so I was thinking of aiming for a Scottish/Irish/British bar, as I've heard they proactively hire people from Scotland/Ireland/UK in general. Any truth to this?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Lauren.. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bar/pub jobs...does it pay enough?

Originally Posted by Lauren..
Just wondering if a bar/pub job pays enough to live on, pay rent on etc. The majority of decent apartments I can see in Australia go for about $125-$150 per week, so am I kidding myself that a bar job would be sufficient to live on with rent and the general everyday expenses?

I'm Scottish, so I was thinking of aiming for a Scottish/Irish/British bar, as I've heard they proactively hire people from Scotland/Ireland/UK in general. Any truth to this?

Thanks.
bump
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lauren..

Thanks.
I don't know if every State is the same but be aware that to work in a bar in Queensland you will need to go on a course and get a certificate (yes, honestly!)
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't know if every State is the same but be aware that to work in a bar in Queensland you will need to go on a course and get a certificate (yes, honestly!)

You need a RSA certificate (Responsible Service of Alochol)
I did mine online, was $50 and was basically just common sense. Im in WA and get paid $18.50 an hour and $22 weekends. But my rent is $230 a week for a 3 bed 2 bath unit.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You could easily live off bar wages. Assuming you are not into designer shopping sprees every week etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Lauren..;6637084]Just wondering if a bar/pub job pays enough to live on, pay rent on etc. The majority of decent apartments I can see in Australia go for about $125-$150 per week, so am I kidding myself that a bar job would be sufficient to live on with rent and the general everyday expenses?

Thanks. EH WHICH AUSTRALIA WUD THAT B?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You really shouldnt have any problems getting bar work.Just get your Rsa certificate and you should be ok.Expect to get between 18 to 23 dollars. Be realistic with transport so you arent walking home late at night on your own.Also dont expect to earn extra on tips.Aussies think Tipping is a city in China.