Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banks - Which One Please

Banks - Which One Please

Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice
Default Banks - Which One Please

Hi All

I am currently looking into gathering as much info as poss and I am now looking at banks.

Would love to hear from anyone who is / has migrated and can give me some information on what you thought have found out about who to open an account with, or are they all pretty much the same.

Thanks a bunch

Linda
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:14 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Banks - Which One Please

Commonwealth Bank Of Australia and ANZ Bank seemed for me the easiest in terms of setting up bank accounts before you move, actually yesterday sent my ANZ bank forms, very simple easy and quick.

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/

https://ola.anz.com/noah/app/dda/wel...sp?apptype=436

Regards
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We've only been here 6wks, however, friends have been here a few years, we took their advice after they spent time researching banks, we've got out accounts with Credit Union Australia (CUA).
We've been really happy with the service with our 2 local branches, staff always smiling, helpful and attentive, we're even on 1st name terms now!

Only our experience, but a good one.

Keebs
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Commonwealth Bank Of Australia and ANZ Bank seemed for me the easiest in terms of setting up bank accounts before you move, actually yesterday sent my ANZ bank forms, very simple easy and quick.

Regards
Thanks for that will lookm at them both and investigate more.

Regards

Linda
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keebs
Hi,

We've only been here 6wks, however, friends have been here a few years, we took their advice after they spent time researching banks, we've got out accounts with Credit Union Australia (CUA).
We've been really happy with the service with our 2 local branches, staff always smiling, helpful and attentive, we're even on 1st name terms now!

Only our experience, but a good one.

Keebs
Hi Keebs

I must admit not heard of this one but it's worth taking alook at.

Thanks

Linda
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LindyLooPot
Hi All

I am currently looking into gathering as much info as poss and I am now looking at banks.

Would love to hear from anyone who is / has migrated and can give me some information on what you thought have found out about who to open an account with, or are they all pretty much the same.

Thanks a bunch

Linda
uk can setup a hsbc bank account in oz from the uk if you bank with them before you go
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Hi All

Thanks a bunch

Linda

Hi Linda,
We opened a Westpac account from the U.K.Go on their website www.westpac.co.au and follow international and migrant links.Download application and follow instructions.Really easy and done in a few days.You can always change banks once you are there.

For comparison of banks I've used this link www.infochoice.com.au/banking/default.aspa and follow comparison links.Shows loads of banks and details of interest and charges.

Hope this is of use

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Regards
Yeah only takes 5 days to setup. They give you a UK account and an Oz account. Use the UK one to transfer monies before you go (unless you use another for better rate) and the UK account closes after 2 years.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

NOT CRIMINWEALTH!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks a bunch

Linda
Commonwealth bank were useless, we didn't get a bankcard until two weeks after we arrived and their charges are really high. We changed bank accounts and went with St. George. Really helpful, unlimited transactions and cashcard the same day.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

National Australia Bank. Excellent.

Then again I must admit to some bias in that I work for them. If I can help in anyway please send me a PM.

Cheers,
Colin
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:45 am
ABCDiamond

Here are some example costs that I looked at in June 2005

Based on:
12 - EFTPOS transactions per month
5 - ATM transactions per month
$2,500 ave balance

HSBC Online saver - they pay you $9.90 pm
ANZ Access Advantage - charge you $5.00 pm
ANZ Access Select - charge you $5.50 pm
CBA Streamline account charge you $5.98 pm
Westpac One - charge you $5.00 pm
National Smart Access- charge you $5.00 pm

OR

Based on
20 - EFTPOS per month
10 - ATM per month
$2,500 ave balance

HSBC Online saver - charge you $0.10 pm
ANZ Access Advantage - charge you $5.00 pm
ANZ Access Select - charge you $12.00 pm
CBA Streamline account charge you $12.48 pm
Westpac One - charge you $5.00 pm
National Smart Access - charge you $5.00 pm

Some banks allow unlimited free EFTPOS transactions, others limit the number.
Some pay you interest, others don't.

It can depend a lot on your actual transaction usage.

Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:20 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
National Australia Bank. Excellent.

Then again I must admit to some bias in that I work for them. If I can help in anyway please send me a PM.

Cheers,
Colin
I have to agree as a customer!

Andrew
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

High street banks here generally charge for anything and everything. I avoid them as much as possible, preferring to use enlightened financial institutions like ING Direct, Virgin and Citibank.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Echo with those people who say don't go Commonwealth. They aren't very good and they charge you left, right and centre for the dubious honour of banking with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.