Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

banks local to Victoria Point

banks local to Victoria Point

Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default banks local to Victoria Point

Can anybody tell me which banks have a branch in Victoria Point?

I would prefer the Commonwealth Bank, if they don't have a branch in Vic Point, where is the nearest branch?

Thanks

Carlos
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: banks local to Victoria Point

Originally posted by carlos1340
Can anybody tell me which banks have a branch in Victoria Point?

I would prefer the Commonwealth Bank, if they don't have a branch in Vic Point, where is the nearest branch?

Thanks

Carlos
Victoria Point has branches of the Bank of Queensland and Suncorp.

There is also a sub branch of Westpac operating from a Newsagent here.

Commonwealth Bank branches are at Cleveland and Capalaba, although they do have ATM's in Victoria Point.

I assume you are moving here ?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, if all goes to plan we should be moving there just before or just after christmas.

My brother is in Sydney and he reckons that the Commonwealth Bank is the best of a bad lot!!

From what I've read Victoria Point and its surrounding areas are just what we are looking for. But we will have a good look round the area when we land. Are there any bits to avoid?

Thanks for your response

Carlos
Old Jun 10th 2004, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by carlos1340
Yes, if all goes to plan we should be moving there just before or just after christmas.

My brother is in Sydney and he reckons that the Commonwealth Bank is the best of a bad lot!!

From what I've read Victoria Point and its surrounding areas are just what we are looking for. But we will have a good look round the area when we land. Are there any bits to avoid?

Thanks for your response

Carlos
Actually the Bank of Queensland gets very good praise, they have people you can talk to, and Managers that seem interested in their customers. Your brother would probably not know about this, being in NSW, as the BoQ only operate in Queensland at the moment.

No real areas in the immediate vacinity to be avoided, that I can think of.

Victoria Point is expanding rapidly, we have a K-Mart and ALDI supermarket being built, and a library and cinema complex in the pipeline.

Hope all goes well for you. I'm about to send you a pm aswell.

Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Actually the Bank of Queensland gets very good praise, they have people you can talk to, and Managers that seem interested in their customers. Your brother would probably not know about this, being in NSW, as the BoQ only operate in Queensland at the moment.

No real areas in the immediate vacinity to be avoided, that I can think of.

Victoria Point is expanding rapidly, we have a K-Mart and ALDI supermarket being built, and a library and cinema complex in the pipeline.

Hope all goes well for you. I'm about to send you a pm aswell.
Hi ABC,
We hope to settle inland from the gold coast all going according to plan. The consensus seems to be that HSBC has the most financial benefits but it seems HSBC only has 3 branches in Qld. I presume you can access an HSBC account from other banks ATMs so withdrawals wouldnt be a problem. Is there an extra charge for that apart from the normal bank ATM charge. Also if you use visa or the like for daily transactions are there any charges apart from the yearly joining fee and interest if you go over time. One more ?. Do you have any idea which bank offers the best interest on deposits say over $100,000.

thanks

Graham
Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by glhall
Hi ABC,
We hope to settle inland from the gold coast all going according to plan. The consensus seems to be that HSBC has the most financial benefits but it seems HSBC only has 3 branches in Qld. I presume you can access an HSBC account from other banks ATMs so withdrawals wouldnt be a problem. Is there an extra charge for that apart from the normal bank ATM charge. Also if you use visa or the like for daily transactions are there any charges apart from the yearly joining fee and interest if you go over time. One more ?. Do you have any idea which bank offers the best interest on deposits say over $100,000.

thanks

Graham
With the HSBC card you can also use any Post office for withdrawals and deposits.

You can make 5 withdrawals at other banks ATM's per month without charge, and you can also get cash from supermarkets etc as "CashBack".
Using the Visa/Mastcard for most purchases is a good idea, (if you are credit card sensible) we do it all the time, then settle up in full monthly.

We never have to go into a branch, which is good, as our closest branch of one of our accounts is about 30 minutes away. We could change our account to one that is in our local centre, but we just don't need to.

As far as bank deposit rates are concerned http://www.cannex.com.au/surveys.html may help. However HSBC, ING Direct and Citibank are often quoted as being good.

Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by glhall
.....are there any charges apart from the yearly joining fee....
The annual fee is waived for the first year.