British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Banks - ANZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/banks-anz-326496/)

andrewb Sep 17th 2005 9:41 pm

Banks - ANZ

We will be moving out to Melbourne in January and we are just about to sort out bank accounts and looking round ANZ appear to offer the best. $5 per month for unlimited transactions.

Has anyone got any feedback on ANZ, good or bad?

Thanks

Siren & Brian Sep 17th 2005 10:32 pm

Re: Banks - ANZ

Originally Posted by andrewb
We will be moving out to Melbourne in January and we are just about to sort out bank accounts and looking round ANZ appear to offer the best. $5 per month for unlimited transactions.

Thanks

Yeah they are good at taking my money, just like the rest of them. The $5 is prob one of the best deals, but there are some banks that offer free accounts if you have a certain minimum monthly balance ($500 or $1000 not to sure)

Redrum Sep 17th 2005 10:53 pm

Thanks

My wife works for ANZ, they are probably the best around for customer service and mortgage deals as well as normal transactions. :)

wmoore Sep 17th 2005 11:58 pm

Thanks

We've got one of those accounts. We've found ANZ to be very helpful, not flinching once at our stupid questions :D

jimtrish Sep 18th 2005 12:02 am

Originally Posted by wmoore
We've got one of those accounts. We've found ANZ to be very helpful, not flinching once at our stupid questions :D

agree with you there, we joined recently and had numerous daft questions and they were excellent at getting back to us and made us feel like we werent being daft. :)

andrewb Sep 18th 2005 7:51 am

Thanks all, ANZ it is then...

SunshineGirl Sep 28th 2005 8:04 am

Does anyone know the URL for ANZ bank? I had looked at Commonwealth bank but am being put off it.

I am assuming that ANZ are widespread in WA as they are in other states?

lel_smiff Sep 28th 2005 8:06 am

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Does anyone know the URL for ANZ bank? I had looked at Commonwealth bank but am being put off it.

I am assuming that ANZ are widespread in WA as they are in other states?

www.anz.com simple as that...

I'm with them too, I'd say they're good.

not sure about WA though...

bridiej Sep 28th 2005 8:08 am

If you want to apply before you arrive you'll need this link (really difficult to find on the website!)

https://ola.anz.com/noah/app/dda/wel...sp?apptype=436 :)

Linda Lushardi Sep 28th 2005 8:55 am

Have been using the $5 ANZ account for nearly a year. No probs at all.

This is my third Australian bank account. Only lasted 4 weeks with "Conwealth" bunch of rip off merchants. HSBC were so inefficient we got sick of them after 6mths. Talking to a customer service person based in Malaysia who cant speak fluent english just got too much in the end!

isgraham Sep 28th 2005 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
If you want to apply before you arrive you'll need this link (really difficult to find on the website!)

I am probably being a bit thick but how did you open the account? From what I read they seem to want you to be resident in Australia before they will allow you to open the account

Steve G Sep 28th 2005 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by isgraham
I am probably being a bit thick but how did you open the account? From what I read they seem to want you to be resident in Australia before they will allow you to open the account

In the box that says "Do you reside overseas?" click "Show me the special requirements". :)

SunshineGirl Sep 28th 2005 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by isgraham

Just printed out the form, filled it in and sent it to Aus by post.

They will create an account and you can deposit into it but it's not officially opened until we appear in person in Aus, within 6 weeks of arriving.

After they're happy with ID, they'll 'open' the account and we can then withdraw our cash.

I'll let you know if it works ... :)

OzTennis Sep 28th 2005 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej

That link and the main website says if you aren't an existing ANZ customer and can't come to Australia then you can't open an account from overseas. :confused:

OzTennis :)

SunshineGirl Sep 28th 2005 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
That link and the main website says if you aren't an existing ANZ customer and can't come to Australia then you can't open an account from overseas. :confused:

OzTennis :)

The second box says:

Are you a new ANZ customer?

If any of the proposed signatories to the new account are not existing ANZ Australia customers, the account can only be opened if the signatories are able to personally come to Australia to be identified.

This facility is often used by international students and workers who wish to open an ANZ account prior to coming to Australia.