Reload this Page >

Which bank to use on a WHV?

Which bank to use on a WHV?

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which bank to use on a WHV?

Hi all,

Wanted to get some advice on bank accounts while on a WHV.

Is it best to just use our UK accounts or open accounts in OZ?

Will we have any difficulty getting paid from working, or withdrawing money if we use our UK accounts?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:54 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which bank to use on a WHV?

Originally Posted by Lee and Maria
Hi all,

Will we have any difficulty getting paid from working, or withdrawing money if we use our UK accounts?

Thanks.
You'll need an Australian bank account if your employer wants to pay you direct to bank account (to pay into your UK account they will have to pay telegraphic transfer fee each time!) It's easy to open an account and you can still keep your UK account open for when you go back.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You will want a bank that has Australia wide ATM’s, in cities and towns, so stay away from banks like HSBC, St George, Bank of QLD etc etc.

Whenever I have had friends come over on a WHV they have always opened an account with either Commonwealth Bank or ANZ (the only thing now is ANZ require backpackers to lodge something like 3k to open the account).

So try something like Commonwealth bank as they have their network across the country, 24/7 call centre if you get stuck etc etc and are in every little town and big city.

Keep in mind that the banks here have high fees. Citibank has no fees, but that’s only if you will be depositing $3,000 in every month (wages), but I wouldn’t recommend them on the WHV as they have very few branches.

Stick with Commonwealth or ANZ, or at least one of the “Big 4”.

Mikey
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lee and Maria
Hi all,

Thanks.
I opened an account with Westpac via internet and the account info was sent to our home 10 days after. I am also arriving on a WHV. if you deposit more than 3k then you don't have to pay the monthly fees.

good luck
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

samgeordie will become famous soon enough

When my husband and I were in oz on a WHV we opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank, we did it prior to arriving in oz then just went into our nearest branch and they activated the account once we had shown our passports. You will need an australian bank account especially if you intend to work and it also helps when renting a flat etc.