Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Safety Deposit Boxes

Bank Safety Deposit Boxes

Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Bank Safety Deposit Boxes

I'm carrying some cash to OZ and would like to asap put it somewhere safe until I am able to open a bank account.

Do the banks in OZ provide this service? How hard is it to get a safety deposit box and what are the charges?

Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Safety Deposit Boxes

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I'm carrying some cash to OZ and would like to asap put it somewhere safe until I am able to open a bank account.

Do the banks in OZ provide this service? How hard is it to get a safety deposit box and what are the charges?
If you can make it to a bank to open a safety deposit box, why not open the bank account there and then and put the money in????

For the first 6 weeks after arrival, all you need to open a bank account is your passport.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you can make it to a bank to open a safety deposit box, why not open the bank account there and then and put the money in????

For the first 6 weeks after arrival, all you need to open a bank account is your passport.

really? I thought I needed a Tax File Number? I'm arriving unemployed but with savings.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

really? I thought I needed a Tax File Number? I'm arriving unemployed but with savings.
No. You should provide the bank with your TFN once you get one, but you don't need one to open an account
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No. You should provide the bank with your TFN once you get one, but you don't need one to open an account
cool thanks. thats really good and helpful info.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

edman is an unknown quantity at this point

You can even open an account from the UK and transfere the money directly to your new account. Arrive with one more thing ticked of the list.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by edman
You can even open an account from the UK and transfere the money directly to your new account. Arrive with one more thing ticked of the list.
Thanks. but the problem is I'm in the Bahamas.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. but the problem is I'm in the Bahamas.
Erm ..... pick up the phone to open the bank account . Takes about 20 minutes over the phone with Westpac (but you can do it with Commonwealth and ANZ as well). You can phone them 24/7 .

Here is an old thread with step-by-step instructions (as well as opening the account you'll get internet banking and 'phone banking set up at the same time): http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452418

As for exchanging money into Aus $$$ and putting it into your newly opened account: You can do this with pretty much any foreign exchange company. Popular one here on BE is Ozforex: www.ozforex.com
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Erm ..... pick up the phone to open the bank account . Takes about 20 minutes over the phone with Westpac (but you can do it with Commonwealth and ANZ as well). You can phone them 24/7 .

Here is an old thread with step-by-step instructions (as well as opening the account you'll get internet banking and 'phone banking set up at the same time): http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452418

As for exchanging money into Aus $$$ and putting it into your newly opened account: You can do this with pretty much any foreign exchange company. Popular one here on BE is Ozforex: www.ozforex.com

I got the idea that the OP was bringing in bags full of cash, hence the need for the safety deposit box...

S
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I got the idea that the OP was bringing in bags full of cash, hence the need for the safety deposit box...
Yes, that was the OP's plan. But he was planning this because he didn't know he could open an acccount from the Bahamas and transfer his cash safely.

Coming with $10,000 in your back pocket isn't exactly "safe". Too many people happy to help "carry" it for him .
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:36 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
you weren't in Italy trying to get into Switzerland recently by any chance, were you?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615434