Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

View Poll Results: Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with, for their main Transaction accounts
ANZ
14.67%
Commonwealth
32.00%
Credit Unions
1.33%
HSBC
26.67%
National Australia
2.67%
St George
5.33%
Westpac
6.67%
Other
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:23 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

We're with commonwealth and to be honest, we're not impressed. Terrible customer servive and charges galore.

Is there a link anywhere where we can compare all these banks? We're keen to move so would appreciate the link if it can be done.
Also, Bendigo bank ; where are they based?
Thanks for any answers
Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of Queensland.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
HSBC for us. I've used them here and in the UK for a total of 15 years.
The occasional problem, but no more than any other bank. Still one of the best deals in OZ IMO. I expect they'll come out top of this poll.
In the UK there are various banks without a branch network. Am I right in thinking that HSBC have a very small or non-existent branch network in Australia?

Just wondered whose cash machines can you use? How do you go about using counter services, eg, paying in cash?

I know some people swear by First Direct here in the UK (interest on current account, etc) but they are part of HSBC so you can use the HSBC branch network. Strikes me as best of both worlds.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
We're with commonwealth and to be honest, we're not impressed. Terrible customer servive and charges galore.

Is there a link anywhere where we can compare all these banks? We're keen to move so would appreciate the link if it can be done.
Also, Bendigo bank ; where are they based?
Thanks for any answers

Bendigo Bank is actually based in Bendigo, Victoria....which is where I live.

www.bendigobank.com.au
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...182224992.html

Banks do battle for our hearts and wallets

December 7, 2004

The big four are under attack from fired up regionals, writes Duncan Hughes.

When Bank of Queensland recently opened its first Melbourne branch, in the heart of the city's financial centre and a few doors down from National Australia Bank's headquarters, the mood was festive.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie and Victorian Premier Steven Bracks cut a ribbon in front of the 2002 Australian Football League Premiership Cup, won by the Brisbane Lions. Major shareholder and billionaire trucker Lindsay Fox and former union and Reserve Bank heavyweight Bill Kelty moved discreetly among the guests.

But behind the symbolism and celebrations the tone was serious; this was the first shot in a retail banking battle that will result in dozens of new branches being opened by Bank of Queensland and other mid-size and regional banks. Over the next year Bank of Queensland, Bendigo Bank, St George Bank, HBOS and Suncorp are set to fire other competitive salvos as they open branches, banking centres and branded ATMs around Victoria. The big four recognise the threat.

After years of closing more branches than they opened, they are modernising or launching branches in growth corridors with refreshed strategies aimed at hearts, minds and bank balances of the small to medium enterprise. For example, ANZ is finalising locations and designs for between 50 and 80 branches around the nation.

It is a transformation from five years ago at the height of the internet boom when many of the big banks - abetted by "superstar" investment bank analysts - declared that branch banking was dead. Branches, particularly in the bush, were closed and customers herded toward computer terminals, call centres and quickie tellers in convenience shops and pubs.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:27 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
In the UK there are various banks without a branch network. Am I right in thinking that HSBC have a very small or non-existent branch network in Australia?

Just wondered whose cash machines can you use? How do you go about using counter services, eg, paying in cash?

I know some people swear by First Direct here in the UK (interest on current account, etc) but they are part of HSBC so you can use the HSBC branch network. Strikes me as best of both worlds.
You are right about the number of branches. Even in sydney there are very few. I've been in to a HSBC branch possibly 3 times since arriving in Feb, and those would have been in the first 2 weeks when we get getting organized.

You can get cash from any machine - 5 free withdrawals per month, or no charge from HSBC machines or the post office.
Usually get cash back from the supermarket shop using EFTPOS.
With the functionality provided by internet banking, there is no need to visit a branch, and as for paying cash in??? you can use the post office again.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix
Bank of Queensland.
I agree, and if I was to change Banks, I would now opt for Bank of Queensland too.

Hows things going Bix ?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:26 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

St. George. So far so good.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:38 am
ABCDiamond

Here are some results for another survey done, but not on an Expats site, so it is mainly Australians who would have answered it.

34.09% - Commonwealth Bank (CBA)
17.74% - Other banks
12.37% - ANZ
11.18% - Westpac
10.43% - Credit Unions
8.92% - National Australia Bank
4.09% - Building Society
1.18% - AMP

Interesting how the CBA % is very similar to our own poll. (Currently 32.86%)

Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

We are with Commonwealth. They are very average, I would say. We have contemplated trying to a different bank but it's just one of those things that you don't get round to doing . In terms of savings accounts though, ING have a savings account which seems pretty good, a lot of people at work have it, it has a high interest rate, no bank charges (it's an internet account as far as I know) and they will contribute some money when you open it (a whopping $15 or something but better than a poke in the eyes with a sharp stick). Again, haven't gotten round to actually doing anything about it but worth contemplating.