Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

View Poll Results: Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with, for their main Transaction accounts
ANZ
14.67%
Commonwealth
32.00%
Credit Unions
1.33%
HSBC
26.67%
National Australia
2.67%
St George
5.33%
Westpac
6.67%
Other
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with, for their main Transaction accounts, AND are generally HAPPY with.

I've left out the local based banks, to try to keep it Australia wide and because of poll option limited numbers.

Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:29 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?

HSBC for us. I've used them here and in the UK for a total of 15 years.
The occasional problem, but no more than any other bank. Still one of the best deals in OZ IMO. I expect they'll come out top of this poll.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ruptured gonad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citibank

Because high street banks are poor quality and charge. I get it all for free. Don't be a sheep, think outside of the obvious choices.

Cheers
Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

We are currently with Commonwealth....However we are planning on shopping around after Christmas as I just dont feel that they give us the best options for our money.

My Mum uses Bendigo Bank and swears by them, so we will be looking into them as an option. They are now Australia wide, pretty much.

Hels
Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:59 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hels
We are currently with Commonwealth....However we are planning on shopping around after Christmas as I just dont feel that they give us the best options for our money.

My Mum uses Bendigo Bank and swears by them, so we will be looking into them as an option. They are now Australia wide, pretty much.

Hels

I use Commonwealth, having swapped to them from Westpac. They made it very simple to open the account, i've also since opened a savings account with them & am currently in the process of opening a joint account also. My partner banks with them and gets charged no monthly fee as he has his home loan with them.

Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I use Commonwealth, having swapped to them from Westpac. They made it very simple to open the account, i've also since opened a savings account with them & am currently in the process of opening a joint account also. My partner banks with them and gets charged no monthly fee as he has his home loan with them.

I don't see why anyone would choose Commonwealth when HSBC has virtually no charges and pays interest.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:03 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
I don't see why anyone would choose Commonwealth when HSBC has virtually no charges and pays interest.

I dont know - but when the two extra accounts cost me nothing and the primary one only $5 a month, I guess it doesnt matter. Different things for different people depending on how you bank I guess.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:05 pm
scoobydoo

Bendigo Bank. We have had great customer service from them so far.

Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I dont know - but when the two extra accounts cost me nothing and the primary one only $5 a month, I guess it doesnt matter. Different things for different people depending on how you bank I guess.
$5 a month? how do you manage that? Our Commonwealth account, always in credit was about $30 a month.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:43 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

$5 a month? how do you manage that? Our Commonwealth account, always in credit was about $30 a month.

It was just the charge on the account when I opened it beginning of August this year.... I left Westpac because I think they were $15 a month for limited transactions. I have limited transaction on this account too, but the extra charges on going over are a LOT less & less transaction types are included in the "free" ones. In fact, I think the most extra I've been charged in a month was 75cents

I know when I opened the account there were a few campaigns on tv for various banks advertising $5 monthly fees, must have been a bit of a competition going on??

Just noticed also that I get interest on my savings account (not much, but it all helps )

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 5th 2004 at 2:54 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 3:26 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I use Suncorp. They are mainly Queensland based but have been busily expanding to other states and now offer their banking services at GIO Insurance outlets (they are gradually becoming Suncorp branches).

Their fee is only $4.50 a month, waived if you have $2,000 or more. They also have sub-accounts to the transaction accounts (5.25% interest) and you can instantly access this cash (transfer using telephone/internet banking).

Can't think of a bad thing to say about them.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with, for their main Transaction accounts, AND are generally HAPPY with.

I've left out the local based banks, to try to keep it Australia wide and because of poll option limited numbers.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 4:11 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC, after advice on here.

Hadn't heard of them before, and nobody really knows them here..
But having no problems, except eftpos at Mobil and another petrol station which I hardly use anyway.

They've got a branch on St Georges tce and at Garden city, but I never need to go to the branch anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 4:26 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I'm with westpac purely because the hubby was already with them and our mates mum works there so she is like my personal backer, helps me try and understand all the charges etc. we have credit card, business account and our individual personal accounts with them, we dont pay any charges for our personal accounts, all we do is transfer money to our personal accounts for our salery, then pay it all on to the credit card, then use the credit card for everything and as it is paid off every month we dont get charged interest on the credit card.

Kala
Old Dec 5th 2004, 6:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Of the 5 "others" so far, we have:

2 Bendigo bank
1 Citibank
1 Suncorp Bank
1 unknown

Old Dec 5th 2004, 9:49 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

CBA haven't charged me anything on my accounts. The interest rate on the cheque account is peanuts but the interest on the savings seems okay for a transaction account (but not as good as ING). The only thing I have noticed, is to be careful of tax on the cheque account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.