Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which bank did you choose and why?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank did you choose and why?

Originally Posted by deanmhunt
HSBC
They may say fee free but check your statements as there not free for using ATM'S or EFTPOS (5 free per month utter crap) as we found out today with $98.00 charges for using our own bloody money either by ATM or eftpos not happy with them so will be moving banks, only been here 10 weeks so been spending loads what with cars, beds, school fees, and loads of other stuff so please beware everyone, and sorry for ranting but i was sooo crosss Tracey x
Hi Tracey. which account do you have with HSBC?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

We bank with Westpak as they offer a $5 fee for as much usage of eftpos and cash points for the month. We like to be able to access our money a lot. I don't like carrying large amounts in my purse or having money in the house.

The account was very easy to set up and they have internet access as well as phone banking.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
We bank with Westpak as they offer a $5 fee for as much usage of eftpos and cash points for the month. We like to be able to access our money a lot. I don't like carrying large amounts in my purse or having money in the house.

The account was very easy to set up and they have internet access as well as phone banking.
Is that just Westpac ATMs? Or can you use anybody elses?

S
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

deanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi Tracey. which account do you have with HSBC?
Hi we have cheque account but didnt realise you were charged for everyone over 5 with eftpos and theres no hsbc atm's arround us theres only two branches in wa, also have online savings with them so will now bee using this one as it's unlimited eftpos but still only 5 free atm withdrawals a month.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:22 am
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

We also bank with HSBC. Have not had any problems with them. Have only had to go to the branch in Melbourne once. Have never been charged for EFTPOS and manage to stay under the 5 fee free ATM transactions each month. We live out towards the country and have never had our debit card not accepted or anything.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Is that just Westpac ATMs? Or can you use anybody elses?

S
I think they charge you a fee for using other bank's atms. I just find a Westpac one. There is normally plenty.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I use Community CPS Australia . They have branches in Adelaide and Canberra. I have used them for years and from here in Perth I can phone them (freecall)...which I haven't had to do.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Bank of Queensland.

They have a cool account where if you keep a certain amount in you get paid! Their interests rates are way higher than NAB Commonwealth etc.... They are friendly and reliable, have unlimited ATM use and EFTPOS use and I could not stand being with commonwealth any more where it was costing me a fortune to bank with them and all of their charges.

Bank of Queensland has more ATMS than commonwealth they are just hidden in pubs and shops which is great for us.

Definitely shop around and don't go to the first one you see, it will probably be a good year or two before you move banks (if ever) so make sure you dont get ripped off on your first.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:38 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I spoke to reps of the Commonwealth bank at the recent opportunities expo in london. Their account seemed good in that you can open before you go, transfer your money in as you leave but if the exchange rate not so great you can ask them to hold your dosh in sterling and tell them the rate you would be happy with-as soon as it hits that rate they convert it automatically. Other banks may do this too-it's worth asking...Also, you get given an international contact in the city you're going to who you can meet with just after arrival and organise cards with pretty quickly..
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

I have opened an account with Westpac but am interested in also using my Nationwide account so might do that until the exchange rate gets better.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Commonwealth. Opened it after seeing it on movingplanet.com and new my sister in law is with them. Sorted it out in the UK 2 weeks ago. Arrived Friday and booked appointment for today. Got our cards, pins, internet banking within 1 hour. Deposited our travellers cheques and are up and running. The fee is $6 per month but I think most things are unlimited like eftpos and cash at Comm atm's. The lady in Perth was really helpful.

We were advised to look into transfering pension before July to do with a tax break. Perhaps buy a house after May to see if they up the threshold for stampduty. We should also be entitled to some helps because we will be first time buyers in Oz.

HTH's

J
Might be a silly question but was is eftpos???

Carol
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:11 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Westpac, main reason we choose them is they are well recommended on here.

It was easy to set up in UK.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Otherwise it seems Westpac has the best housing loan scheme coming from a Banking institution..
They are regularly cited on various sites
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:28 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by cartel
Might be a silly question but was is eftpos???

Carol

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it means

Electronic funds transfer point of sale.

Basically at the checkout in shops and things like that where you put your pin in to pay for your goods. They call it chip and pin in the UK, but they've had Eftpos in Aus for as long as I can remember!!!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi there,

Generally people choose to bank with a specific bank for a number of reasons and to name but a few :- Generous premium – personal loans – students loan – overdraft facility etc…

gday

i choose anz as they seem to have a good rep on this site, you download the form and send it of and they account is open in about 2 wks,

I worked for hsbc and did look at their account but glad i choose anz arrived on a friday our cash already here a lot of branches open on a saturday so went in and offically opened account cards send ect no probs with 100 point check( ie driving license credit cards other account) just show passport and your away...3 months later when hubby been employed no probs with mortgage.. i should mention that i now work for them but all of the above was before i was an employee...$5 a month for unlimited transactions except atms but i wouldnt use them anyway thats what cash backs for! all the best on your move
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps eftpos is basically switch/mastro but ya cant use it on the phone or the internet here but they do have visa debt accounts which means u are spending your own cash ie no borrowing like a debt card but with the facilities of visa

Last edited by sunshine9599; Apr 8th 2007 at 4:52 pm. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.