Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which bank did you choose and why?

Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of
Default Which bank did you choose and why?

Hi there,

Generally people choose to bank with a specific bank for a number of reasons and to name but a few :- Generous premium – personal loans – students loan – overdraft facility etc…

Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Blooregard Q Kazoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which bank did you choose and why?

Commonwealth bank because it was the first one I passed whilst looking for one in Sydney.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blooregard Q Kazoo
Commonwealth bank because it was the first one I passed whilst looking for one in Sydney.
Same for me on both counts. I was walking through North Syndey on our first day on Oz and it was the first bank we came across. The Account opening process was completely painless and all over in about 15 minutes.

I think that I would possibly have used them anyway due to them being one of the biggest banks. I wanted to be sure that I would have access to a lot of ATM's and branches due to high bank charges if you use other banks facilities.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:52 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

ANZ as it was easy to set up from the UK - going to change very soon though, they are shite (me being polite ).
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:57 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

NAB first bank we came to when we first arrived. The girl who helped us was really good and friendly. $5 per month fee and not 1 minutes problem since we signed up.
We are looking round for a home loan shortly so will approach them first and take it from there.

Loz x
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:29 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi there,

Generally people choose to bank with a specific bank for a number of reasons and to name but a few :- Generous premium – personal loans – students loan – overdraft facility etc…

Westpac... easy to do from the UK, and branches all over where we were going...
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Bankwest - 'cos :

a) The first bank was ANZ and the queues were terrible
b) More ATM's around in the west ?
c) Less Fees [or rather more avoidable]
d) I banked with one of NAB's banks in the UK [Clydesdale] and after their completely hopeless handling of things, I promised I wouldn't touch NAB with a bargepole.

Funnily enough, I've ended up working for them as a contractor so I get to see the bank 'from the other side' as it were...

Of the year I've been with them, I've had zero problems, and that include accounts, mortgage, CC's + international transfers. And please note that I do not get any special treatment above that of any other account holder.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Apr 1st 2007 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

I think the Banking sector is mostly dominated by those four banks mentioned that is N A B, Westpac, Commonwealth and ANZ…

They should have more or less similar costs in terms of banking fees. So choosing a bank is more of a question of feeling if I am not mistaken..

Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:52 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

HSBC. Fee free banking. No brainer.

Also check out Citibank too - they now operate a fee free current account with good ATM access.

S
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

deanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
HSBC. Fee free banking. No brainer.

Also check out Citibank too - they now operate a fee free current account with good ATM access.

S
HSBC
They may say fee free but check your statements as there not free for using ATM'S or EFTPOS (5 free per month utter crap) as we found out today with $98.00 charges for using our own bloody money either by ATM or eftpos not happy with them so will be moving banks, only been here 10 weeks so been spending loads what with cars, beds, school fees, and loads of other stuff so please beware everyone, and sorry for ranting but i was sooo crosss Tracey x

Last edited by deanmhunt; Apr 2nd 2007 at 12:31 am. Reason: never said which bank i was complaining about
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Commonwealth. Opened it after seeing it on movingplanet.com and new my sister in law is with them. Sorted it out in the UK 2 weeks ago. Arrived Friday and booked appointment for today. Got our cards, pins, internet banking within 1 hour. Deposited our travellers cheques and are up and running. The fee is $6 per month but I think most things are unlimited like eftpos and cash at Comm atm's. The lady in Perth was really helpful.

We were advised to look into transfering pension before July to do with a tax break. Perhaps buy a house after May to see if they up the threshold for stampduty. We should also be entitled to some helps because we will be first time buyers in Oz.

HTH's

J
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanmhunt
HSBC
They may say fee free but check your statements as there not free for using ATM'S or EFTPOS (5 free per month utter crap) as we found out today with $98.00 charges for using our own bloody money either by ATM or eftpos not happy with them so will be moving banks, only been here 10 weeks so been spending loads what with cars, beds, school fees, and loads of other stuff so please beware everyone, and sorry for ranting but i was sooo crosss Tracey x
Which account do you have? I've never paid anything for using EFTPOS, and I've only ever exceeded my free withdrawals once which cost me $1.50.

S
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Which account do you have? I've never paid anything for using EFTPOS, and I've only ever exceeded my free withdrawals once which cost me $1.50.

S
Same here. the most I've ever paid is about $10.00. we now make sure we draw enough money out at once, therefore limiting our atm usage, and are well under our 5 free a month, and can't remember the last time we were charged anything.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

I was thinking of keeping my Nationwide account for a while, at least until i decide wher ei want to put my savings, because i can use it free worldwide in the ATM's, and do my internet banking as well, is this a bad idea?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:06 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
I was thinking of keeping my Nationwide account for a while, at least until i decide wher ei want to put my savings, because i can use it free worldwide in the ATM's, and do my internet banking as well, is this a bad idea?
I'm planning on doing the same. I can't see why not.

Great account that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.