Which Bank?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank?

Originally Posted by trazler145
It depends on what sort of account you're after. Bank West have got a really good interest rate on their savings account 8.5% - http://www.money-au.com.au/banking/index.php
I'm looking for somewhere to stash my cash and Bank West is coming up on all the 'best rate' searches I've been doing (currently 8.1%); however I think you have to be a PR/citizen to qualify and I'm on a 457. Will be checking with them later.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:05 pm
UK migrant now in Oz

jorgon will become famous soon enough

Has anyone else successfully setup an account with Citibank before arriving in Australia.
Yes it all went very smoothly.
The account pays interest but one problem is that you can only organise online payments to bank accounts or companies in your home country (UK in my case), international online payments are limited to other Citibank accounts. To make other types of payments you have to use telephone banking. They do give you a card though, which you can use to get cash out of ATMs in the currency of the account, which is pretty useful. So using this you can get AUD cash from ATMs in Australia for no fee, having put money into the account using something like HiFx or UKForex (OzForex). This is a very good way to organise cash when travelling to Australia.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jorgon
Yes it all went very smoothly.
The account pays interest but one problem is that you can only organise online payments to bank accounts or companies in your home country (UK in my case), international online payments are limited to other Citibank accounts. To make other types of payments you have to use telephone banking. They do give you a card though, which you can use to get cash out of ATMs in the currency of the account, which is pretty useful. So using this you can get AUD cash from ATMs in Australia for no fee, having put money into the account using something like HiFx or UKForex (OzForex). This is a very good way to organise cash when travelling to Australia.
We've had a bit of a mess around.
I tried to open as Oz online account which they ssured I could from the UK. They never received my documents in Sydney (double checked the address), so now we're off to London on Thurs to set up a UK account in $. We can use this over there, set up an Oz one when we get there and transfer the money.

Seems quite straight forward, maybe someone in the call centre getting their wires crossed.
Used HIFX for transfer.