Which Bank?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about
Default Which Bank?

Which Australian Bank can people recommend? I've not long got off the phone from Money Corp, whom we intend to use to transfer our money over - and they were strongly recommended through this site, they said that they can get ANZ to contact us, send forms out and open an account, all before leaving the UK. We will just have to present ourselves with ID at the bank once we arrive to activate the account.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank?

Originally Posted by bigpaul
Which Australian Bank can people recommend? I've not long got off the phone from Money Corp, whom we intend to use to transfer our money over - and they were strongly recommended through this site, they said that they can get ANZ to contact us, send forms out and open an account, all before leaving the UK. We will just have to present ourselves with ID at the bank once we arrive to activate the account.
We've just opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank, from the UK
Very easy with an online application and a couple of phone calls to clarify
things. Staff in their London office were very helpful and explained things
in simple terms for a simpleton like me
They didn't appear too happy that I was using hifx to transfer funds into the
account, rather than the London account which is also opened at the same
time, but there you go.

Steve
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

There are 5 banks in Australia, Commonwealth, ANZ, NAB, Westpac and St George. The first four are the biggest and have the best ATM coverage. As far as everyday accounts it doesn't matter all that much, they will all offer a similar product, so choose whatever is convenient for you.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandergirl
There are 5 banks in Australia, Commonwealth, ANZ, NAB, Westpac and St George. The first four are the biggest and have the best ATM coverage. As far as everyday accounts it doesn't matter all that much, they will all offer a similar product, so choose whatever is convenient for you.
we went with westpac and opened an account online before we arrive..

all done online..
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

I have gone with ANZ, so far no problems. All set up for internet banking. Thay have an office in London so I sent the forms there. Going to have a look at money corp though, heard a few people speaking about them lately.
Shabee
x
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Plus HSBC, Bank of Queensland, Bendigo Bank, Citibank, BankWest.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

In Aus if you use your ATM card in another banks ATM you will generally get slugged with a $2.50 fee every time(depending on your bank's fee structure).

So not a good idea to open an account with eg Bendigo or BQL unless the ATM is located close to home or where you work, stick with the majors until you get yourself situated as you can always change once you are settled,
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:24 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened an account with ANZ before leaving the UK, we had our money transfered through HIFX and all went smoothly, everything was sat waiting for us when we arrived.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

In Aus if you use your ATM card in another banks ATM you will generally get slugged with a $2.50 fee every time(depending on your bank's fee structure).

So not a good idea to open an account with eg Bendigo or BQL unless the ATM is located close to home or where you work, stick with the majors until you get yourself situated as you can always change once you are settled,

Unless you open an account with one of the fee free alternatives such as HSBC or Citibank. I'm with the latter, and have been very pleased with the service that I have. I can use any ATM in the country and not pay any fees for the privilege.

S
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

I there any info on bank charges in Australia anywhere?? when I was there before I seem to remember charges for things like having less than $500 in the account etc.
There are so many varieties of account in UK I wondered if it was the same over there....

Also, for people who use the Moneysaving expert in UK, is there an equivalent in Oz??
Thanks
Helen
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
I there any info on bank charges in Australia anywhere?? when I was there before I seem to remember charges for things like having less than $500 in the account etc.
There are so many varieties of account in UK I wondered if it was the same over there....

Also, for people who use the Moneysaving expert in UK, is there an equivalent in Oz??
Thanks
Helen
Yes, I'm interested in knowing this too. I'm in Ireland and currently have a great deal with AIB. IE, no bank charges when in credit, use online banking once a quarter. ATM usage is free. Is there anything similar in Oz that would offer a debit card also?

For anyone Ireland based, how have you/are you going to transfer money or open an account over here?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

We have opened an online account with westpac, very easy

minibelle
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:45 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Yes, I'm interested in knowing this too. I'm in Ireland and currently have a great deal with AIB. IE, no bank charges when in credit, use online banking once a quarter. ATM usage is free. Is there anything similar in Oz that would offer a debit card also?

For anyone Ireland based, how have you/are you going to transfer money or open an account over here?

Yes, have a look at the Citibank Citibank Plus account. There are no ATM fees for usage in any ATM in Australia, internet and everyday transactions are free too. There is a $5 per month charge, but they waive this if you have your salary paid into the account. You can also link a high interest savings account to it.

Another good thing is that transfers between different regions are free and seamless too. So if for example you have a UK Citibank account, and an Australian one, then you can transfer money between them free of charge. I'm not sure if you will necessarily get the best exchange rate, but it's still a pretty useful feature.

S
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Since the title of your thread is"Which Bank" it would have to be the Commonwealth Bank, that is there ad "Which Bank"

Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Since the title of your thread is"Which Bank" it would have to be the Commonwealth Bank, that is there ad "Which Bank"

The bank to which we made a special visit in London to open a migrant account, who weren't particularly interested but who accepted all the completed forms and set up our account.

And couldn't find any record of us when we arrived. So we went with HSBC.

However, CBA - bless 'em - have both our super savings accounts. Since I wanted statements for our tax returns last month and none had arrived, I phoned them. The "Executive" on the phone took some 15 minutes to reluctantly find out what the interest rate was, couldn't work out what 15% tax of that was, and said the statements were delayed until October because of the changes to the rules in July 2007. YES - 2007!

Even by Australian standards pretty average!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.