Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Balance of family

Balance of family

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balance of family

It always makes me laugh when I tell people I've got family here.

"That must have helped" (with the visa process) they say.

No it bloody well didn't - I would have had to be on my own in the UK with everyone dead.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
Got totally confused reading this thread! My mum is hinting about coming to live with us from Uk when her hubby pops his clogs (not Dad) cos we always said she could when we lived in uk. But i have a brother in UK who shes sees occasionally. If hubby pops his clogs do his children still count as living relatives to look after her (she hates them) or could she still come over here as it is 1 on 1 (brother or me) situation?

Please help as she is saving up as we speak and if it's a definite no-no she should know now rather than later.
I think she would be well advised to get some professional advice. There is a limit to what online forums can do. A paid consultation with Ian Harrop should be helpful: http://www.ianharrop.co.uk
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:06 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think she would be well advised to get some professional advice. There is a limit to what online forums can do. A paid consultation with Ian Harrop should be helpful: http://www.ianharrop.co.uk
....or any other registered agent of your choice......
there are a number who get a "recomend" from members of the forum.
This was given to me and comes with a number of contented users
http://www.austimmigration.com.au/
A search of the forum may also help with other agents.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It always makes me laugh when I tell people I've got family here.

"That must have helped" (with the visa process) they say.

No it bloody well didn't - I would have had to be on my own in the UK with everyone dead.
It's interesting that you mention that. I have been quite surprised by how little the locals actually seem to know about the process for coming here - I get the feeling that many feel it is much easier than the reality...

S
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It's interesting that you mention that. I have been quite surprised by how little the locals actually seem to know about the process for coming here - I get the feeling that many feel it is much easier than the reality...

S

Pretty much the same could be said for the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Pretty much the same could be said for the UK.
Yes, but in the UK it is easy - you just throw your passport away in france and hide in the back of a lorry
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:55 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in the UK it is easy - you just throw your passport away in france and hide in the back of a lorry

It's to be hoped it's not a lorry full of Brie. You'd be a bit honkey by Dover.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:01 am
has lost The Game

It's to be hoped it's not a lorry full of Brie. You'd be a bit honkey by Dover.
Oh, a lorry load of real French Brie sounds divine right now.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:05 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Oh, a lorry load of real French Brie sounds divine right now.
Add a bit of Wensleydale, Grommit, some Stilton, and maybe something smoked ... there's the making of a cheeseboard there. <droooooool>
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Add a bit of Wensleydale, Grommit, some Stilton, and maybe something smoked ... there's the making of a cheeseboard there. <droooooool>
UGh.....sounds like a it would stink to high even.....yer cannot beat a bit of Cheshire Cheese, unless you have a big stick!

Talking of getting a beating.... Freddies lot are not doing to well........

Pommy bathtub in Cremorne, Sydney!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:12 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
UGh.....sounds like a it would stink to high even.....yer cannot beat a bit of Cheshire Cheese, unless you have a big stick!

Talking of getting a beating.... Freddies lot are not doing to well........

Pommy bathtub in Cremorne, Sydney!

If the Aussies keep going the way they are, there's every hope of us getting a 'glorious draw' (still my favourite ever headline describing the Aussie's footballing performance in the world cup), due to lack of time ...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

S
In this case, it was British people that commented, but agree!