Reload this Page >

Baggage allowances when emmigrating

Baggage allowances when emmigrating

Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

psaint7 will become famous soon enough
Default Baggage allowances when emmigrating

Hi,

I've heard that Singapore Airlines allow double baggage allowance for people emmigrating to Oz. Does anyone know if this is something most airlines do or is it just Singapore??

The flights i've been looking at are the cheapy cheap ones (Brunei Airlines, EVA and Seoul :scared: )
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:57 am
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Baggage allowances when emmigrating

Originally Posted by psaint7
Hi,

I've heard that Singapore Airlines allow double baggage allowance for people emmigrating to Oz. Does anyone know if this is something most airlines do or is it just Singapore??

The flights i've been looking at are the cheapy cheap ones (Brunei Airlines, EVA and Seoul :scared: )
Hi

I was on the phone to Singapore Airlines the other day, changing the date of a flight, and I asked them whether they do indeed allow a double baggage allowance for people migrating to Australia. They do, with no hesitation at all, on production of evidence that the visa is one which permits permanent residence in Australia, I was informed.

I don't know about other airlines, however.

Gnut
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Hi,

I flew with Emirates and they allowed it too. But - many don't. And make sure you organise it before you arrive at the airport!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:07 pm
Andy and Wendy

Baphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We are flying with Singapore Airlines and Quantas. Both are allowing us extra baggage allowance. So long as you ring them up before you fly to confirm and have a valid visa in your passport, you should not have any probs.

Andy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:54 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We flew with Singapore Airlines and they did our double baggage with no problems. They also waived a 17kg over in weight when we check in because we were emmigrating!!!!

Lorraine
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:08 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We flew with Singapore Airlines and they did our double baggage with no problems. They also waived a 17kg over in weight when we check in because we were emmigrating!!!!

Lorraine
You can take 4okg with either emirates or singapore, when you book your flights they need your unstamped visa copy and singapore asked us for a letter from the Australia house to confirm our visa details. Just make sure you have 40kg printed on your ticket as there was a thread not long ago with people have proplems when changing flights half way through and being told that they had to pay excess! Also it has to be an unstamped visa as if you have visited before since you have become a PR they will not allow it. pete
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

great advice, i was worried about the allowance, at least there are a few airlines honoring it.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

psaint7 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone. Although has anyone got any experience of Brunei as they seem to be the cheapest airline?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:03 pm
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone. Although has anyone got any experience of Brunei as they seem to be the cheapest airline?
Very long flight, and no booze aboard since Brunei is very strictly Muslim. Cabin service was great though. Don't know about baggage with them.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gnut Kracker
Very long flight, and no booze aboard since Brunei is very strictly Muslim. Cabin service was great though. Don't know about baggage with them.

well that confirms it for me, NO CHANCE. only thing getting me through the flight is the vino. x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

newbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to allnewbiesdurham is a name known to all

Family flew out recently on Korean Airlines...orig allowed 32Kgs from Newcastle to London and 20kgs from London to OZ....on speaking to airline and advising emigrating allowance upped to 32kgs per person...including full allowance for 18mth daughter....hope this helps....good luck with your new life in Oz
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

I booked my ticket through Travelbag and the ticket says 20kg
I rang singapore airlines at manchester and asked for a fax confirming 40kgs and they said no just the unstamped pr visa and i am guaranteed to get the extra allowance.

I said i knew someone who was charged at singapore and they said they have addressed that problem and my bags will be booked straight through to adelaide.

Not sure what to do.

Ali x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:34 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Alison1967
I rang singapore airlines at manchester and asked for a fax confirming 40kgs and they said no just the unstamped pr visa and i am guaranteed to get the extra allowance.

I said i knew someone who was charged at singapore and they said they have addressed that problem and my bags will be booked straight through to adelaide.

Not sure what to do.

Ali x
Ali,

Just be careful when they tell you they will book your bags straight through to Adelaide. We were told the same (only Sydney instead) when we booked the tickets over the phone. Upon arriving at Heathrow we were told that we couldn't book them straight through as we were staying in Singapore for more than 48 hours. Apparently 48 hours is the cut-off point. We ended up having to collect all of our 8 suitcases, a travel cost, a car seat, a pushchair and hand luggage at Singapore. Fortunately there is a 24 hour left luggage facility at Chiangi Airport so we didn't have to take them all to the hotel (would have needed about 3 taxis!), but even so it was a struggle trying to push 3 trolleys and a pushchair between 2 of us.

We also had an issue upon checking back in at Singapore when we were told that we were over our 30kg allowance! Had quite a discussion with the check-in attendant who eventually let us take our 40kg without additional charge only because I had the original email from Singapore Airlines stating that we could have 40kg (I checked this out before booking tickets).

If you have any doubts I would use the email link on their website and ask the questions. You will then get an email reply which will be hard for the check-in staff to argue with. Unfortunately we didn't get the part about checking our luggage through in writing as I only asked over the phone when booking the tickets. I live and learn!

Other than that I would greatly praise Singapore Airlines. They were particularly good with my little one.

Paula.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:28 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alison1967

Not sure what to do.

Ali x
Hi Ali

I used to work for Travelbag before I left the Uk and I know that if you speak to your sales agent they can arrange for the double baggage allowance for you on production of your visa. Go back to them and check again. We travelled with Singapore Airlines and they were fantastic. Once we were seated on the plane the cabin crew (who are very smart) came round asking the kids names so they could speak to them on a name basis, very nice touch. Good luck.

Lorraine