Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Question Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

I want to get life assurance for myself and possible transfer OH's over. Can anyone recommend some Australian companies to try - we used Direct Line in the UK. I did a quick search on here, but didn't find much.

Thanks

Rachel
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:41 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

Originally Posted by The Crow
I want to get life assurance for myself and possible transfer OH's over. Can anyone recommend some Australian companies to try - we used Direct Line in the UK. I did a quick search on here, but didn't find much.

Thanks

Rachel
Try your bank.

They may give you a good deal if you have other products with them
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply - I will try that option.

Anyone else out there with any recommendations?

Cheers
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

What's "life assurance"? I've only ever heard of life insurance, but since coming to the UK, it's all "life assurance." What's all that about? Is it the same as life insurance? If so, why not just call it "life insurance"?

I don't need to pay some company to assure me that I'm alive - I already know that!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:22 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
What's "life assurance"? I've only ever heard of life insurance, but since coming to the UK, it's all "life assurance." What's all that about? Is it the same as life insurance? If so, why not just call it "life insurance"?

I don't need to pay some company to assure me that I'm alive - I already know that!
insurance against death ? hmm.......
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

Originally Posted by Del Boy
insurance against death ? hmm.......
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:55 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the difference that

Insurance only pays out when/if you have a claim

and Assurance is for a fixed term and pays out at the end of it, sometimes with profit

So if you have life assurance at the end of say 25 years you get a lump sum, but have to take out a new policy.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Thanks

Rachel
After speaking to the bank and other life insurance companies we were advise to up ours through are super that way the it only cost around $12 a month
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:02 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
In every day usage, the two words "insurance" and "assurance" are used interchangeably. In other words, both life "insurance" and life "assurance" are the same thing.

But strictly speaking, you "assure" yourself against an event that will definitley happen. And you "insure" yourself against an event that may or may not happen.

Therefore, striclty speaking, you buy life "assurance" which pays out when you die (and we will all die some day, i.e. it's an event that will definitely happen to you).

On the other hand, you buy home contents "insurance", which pays out if you get burgled, which may or may not happen to you. And similarly, you buy (comprehensive) car "insurance", which pays out if you have a car accident or the car gets nicked. Again, these events may never happen to you.

Hope the above examples make it clear, Vash.

Gina
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GinaUK
In every day usage, the two words "insurance" and "assurance" are used interchangeably. In other words, both life "insurance" and life "assurance" are the same thing.

But strictly speaking, you "assure" yourself against an event that will definitley happen. And you "insure" yourself against an event that may or may not happen.

Therefore, striclty speaking, you buy life "assurance" which pays out when you die (and we will all die some day, i.e. it's an event that will definitely happen to you).

On the other hand, you buy home contents "insurance", which pays out if you get burgled, which may or may not happen to you. And similarly, you buy (comprehensive) car "insurance", which pays out if you have a car accident or the car gets nicked. Again, these events may never happen to you.

Gina
Very well explained - thank you Gina!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tabby
After speaking to the bank and other life insurance companies we were advise to up ours through are super that way the it only cost around $12 a month
Thanks - may be my OH could do that. But I'm not working so will have to look at other avenues. Looks like I'll have to do the research myself - I'm so lazy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Recommended Australian Life Assurance Cos

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
I see. Very well explained, thankyou Gina.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - may be my OH could do that. But I'm not working so will have to look at other avenues. Looks like I'll have to do the research myself - I'm so lazy
I used these people and they were excellent. They find the cheapest quote for your circumstances. You can enter your details online, whereas most companies here want to see you or have you phone them. I'm now insured with Aviva so they use the big companies.

http://www.boyleinsuranceservices.com.au/

Jane
P.s. I got a reply the same day which is almost unheard of here.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:11 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

You normally find Life Insurance is called Term Insurance because it has a life, eg 25 years rather then Assurance that has no term and runs until you die.
Insurance will be cheaper as it won't defiantly have to pay out, if you outlive the term, whereas life assurance will pay out at some point.

Kevin
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
I used these people and they were excellent. They find the cheapest quote for your circumstances. You can enter your details online, whereas most companies here want to see you or have you phone them. I'm now insured with Aviva so they use the big companies.

http://www.boyleinsuranceservices.com.au/

Jane
P.s. I got a reply the same day which is almost unheard of here.
Thanks Jane - that's really straightforward - just how I like it