Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance again

Baggage Allowance again

Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:09 pm
PommieLeague

Default Baggage Allowance again

Hi

I have read posts recently that people on spouse visas were granted 40kg allowance with Singapore Airlines subject to some haggling. I tried this.

Now i did explain to them that although my visa isnt an actual permanent one its itself, it is leading upto one hence my migration to Australia for permanent intentions.

I said i was dissapointed that they can only give me the official 25kg which would be no good. In the end they doubled my allowance.

Has anybody else done this and actually got thru without probs as I dont want to get to check in and there maybe a problem?

Ive been told to take the orginal emails with me, which I will print off.
Thanks

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:38 pm
PommieLeague

Nobody know?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lathlain
Nobody know?

I don't know for sure, but I think it is printed on your ticket, so you will need to get a new one...
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Phone customer services at the airline, or at the airport you are leaving from; ask them to check the amount of baggage listed on your "PNR" - that is the details on your actual booking in the airline's computer. That is what the check-in staff will go by, regardless of what it says on the ticket.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would think it prudent to get any increased baggage allowance confirmed in writing.

You also need to ensure the increased allowance will be honoured on *all* sectors of the flight, including any domestic connections in the UK or Australia.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Pollyana
Phone customer services at the airline, or at the airport you are leaving from; ask them to check the amount of baggage listed on your "PNR" - that is the details on your actual booking in the airline's computer. That is what the check-in staff will go by, regardless of what it says on the ticket.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 1:06 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We just took the e-mails with us which we did not need, as our e-ticket had been changed to 40kg, so if u phone them up just ask what is on your e-ticket and they will tell ya. We travelled with Jetstar from Brissy to Rockhampton and they allowed us extra baggage free cos we were immigrating, just make sure you check in nice and early
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:00 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by biggy
We just took the e-mails with us which we did not need, as our e-ticket had been changed to 40kg, so if u phone them up just ask what is on your e-ticket and they will tell ya. We travelled with Jetstar from Brissy to Rockhampton and they allowed us extra baggage free cos we were immigrating, just make sure you check in nice and early
I have phoned Singapore and they confirmed that there is a 40kg allowance on my e ticket.

Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have phoned Singapore and they confirmed that there is a 40kg allowance on my e ticket
Now get packing!!!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Singapore told me that they do not send out confirmation of the change in allowance - over the phone the customer services confirmed that they had changed the allowance.

Muzzman
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:13 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage Allowance again

Originally posted by Lathlain
Hi

I have read posts recently that people on spouse visas were granted 40kg allowance with Singapore Airlines subject to some haggling. I tried this.

Now i did explain to them that although my visa isnt an actual permanent one its itself, it is leading upto one hence my migration to Australia for permanent intentions.

I said i was dissapointed that they can only give me the official 25kg which would be no good. In the end they doubled my allowance.

Has anybody else done this and actually got thru without probs as I dont want to get to check in and there maybe a problem?

Ive been told to take the orginal emails with me, which I will print off.
Thanks
Anyone can supply contact details (phone/email) for Singapore Airlines to arrange this?
TIA

Andrew
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with Singapore. I originally sent an email to London asking if we would be allowed 40kg on a 4 year temp visa. He replied I'm happy to confirm on a perminent visa you are. so when shippers had been and gone, we booked our flight only to be told that we could only have 30kg, which would be put on our ticket. I, as you could imagine hit the roof. We forwarded the original email, to which she picked out the part about perminent and then saying this didn't include us. I argued that the guy had answered my email, with I'm pleased to tell you, which meant we could have 40k I also explained that I asked well in advance of my shippers coming, so we knew what could or could not come with us, and that now because of their incompetence they expect us to dump our stuff. anyway after she stuck to her guns, and I ended up frustrated and in tears.

We then had to go through our cases again, to work out what to leave behind, which was very difficult.

We arrived at the airport to be told that we were over our 20kg. we explianed 30kg should be on our ticket, but the silly c*w had not even put it on, we were told Manchester would let it go, but singapore may not, and we may have to pay, we were about 60kg over at £45 per kilo. I don't think so. So we approached a supervisor so we could sort this out before we left the country.

We were told that because we are leaving the country for over a year we are allowed.....wait for it..... 40kg. aaaaaarrrrrrrrgh

So all the much needed things we've ditched back in England, we didn't need to.

Moral to this story check and double check, and get it in writing

Steph