Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Explorer 6 technical question - help

Internet Explorer 6 technical question - help

Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:35 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Explorer 6 technical question - help

I've just updated to Internet Explorer 6.

Now when going to certain sites (not all sites) such as eBay and so on I get boxes with red X's in them and no pictures where pictures or graphics should be. If i go to the ToolBar View and Encoding and select either Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8, I then get pictures. These selections have to be made manually every time I go to these sites, the selection I make in the Encoding area doesn't hold.

How can I get the Encoding selection of Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 to hold?

Ticking 'Auto-Select' doesn't solve the problem either ?

At this stage perhaps I should try to re-install IE6 - anyone know how to do this ? I run Windows 98.

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Explorer 6 technical question - help

Originally posted by irishmolly

Now when going to certain sites (not all sites) such as eBay and so on I get boxes with red X's in them and no pictures where pictures or graphics should be. If i go to the ToolBar View and Encoding and select either Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8, I then get pictures. These selections have to be made manually every time I go to these sites, the selection I make in the Encoding area doesn't hold.

How can I get the Encoding selection of Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 to hold?

At this stage perhaps I should try to re-install IE6 - anyone know how to do this ? I run Windows 98.

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not heard of that problem before
Assuming you downloaded from WindowsUpdate, you can re-download and re-install from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:35 pm
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Get rid of IE and download a new browser, I use Firefox it is far better and safer.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:41 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought but try clearing out your cache totally and then give the sites another go.

In IE6, go to :- Tools - Internet Options - Temporary Internet Files - Delete Files - Make sure that the "Delete all Offline Content" check box is ticked on and then click on the OK button.

Could be that some images are being held in the cache which just need clearing out and refreshing.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:42 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by uluru
Get rid of IE and download a new browser, I use Firefox it is far better and safer.

http://software.silicon.com/malware/...9122063,00.htm
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:47 pm
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

http://news.com.com/Another+Internet...bj=news.7349.5

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rushell19.html

http://www.internetnews.com/security...le.php/3377941

Your serve returned with interest.

Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:55 pm
What's happening dudes?

Hmm. Can't be arsed to argue ('specially on someone else's thread) but my parting shot is this: obviously people will look harder and therefore find the most holes in the most popular (like it or not) product.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:56 pm
Banned

Originally posted by wmoore
Hmm. Can't be arsed to argue ('specially on someone else's thread) but my parting shot is this: obviously people will look harder and therefore find the most holes in the most popular (like it or not) product.
I bet you use AOL too!

Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:00 pm
Hello from Brisbane

Originally posted by wmoore
Not heard of that problem before
Assuming you downloaded from WindowsUpdate, you can re-download and re-install from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Thanks for the replies folks !

wmoore, to re-install IE6 do I need to first un-install it ? I'm not that clued up on techie stuff sorry.

uluru, no don't have AOL, Irish based IP called 'eircom.net'

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:08 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore, to re-install IE6 do I need to first un-install it ? I'm not that clued up on techie stuff sorry.
If you download it from MS, you can choose to 'repair' the current installation, which kinda means re-install without un-installing. It just fixes any broken files along the way. Just run the file that you download and it will pretty much do the rest.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:19 pm
Hello from Brisbane

wmoore - many thanks !

have a on me
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:46 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What if the site is encoded in ISO-8859-1 like this one is? If you force your browser to display it as UTF-8, it may not render correctly, especially if certain fonts are specified.

Best just to leave it as auto and let the website dictate encoding.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by uluru

You forgot to say how..

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

It beats the pants of Internet Exploder every which way.

I can't wait till the later versions when they will make installing plugins a breeze.

AndyH