Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance..

Baggage allowance..

Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Baggage allowance..

So Singapore offer the cheapest flight prices but only 20kg baggage. With $50 per kilo excess!!

Any ideas on who offer the better baggage allowances as 20kg would barely cover my shoes!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Re: Baggage allowance..

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
So Singapore offer the cheapest flight prices but only 20kg baggage. With $50 per kilo excess!!

Any ideas on who offer the better baggage allowances as 20kg would barely cover my shoes!!
Baggage allowance is rubbish but having researched they appear to service their economy passangers better than anyone which is why I've booked with them. Not sure if you can do much better in economy with anyone else.

I've also booked the Excess Baggage Company for shipping everything else. Not shipping much and they work out pretty cheap by comparison to others.

http://www.excess-baggage.com
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Green Grass
Baggage allowance is rubbish but having researched they appear to service their economy passangers better than anyone which is why I've booked with them. Not sure if you can do much better in economy with anyone else.

I've also booked the Excess Baggage Company for shipping everything else. Not shipping much and they work out pretty cheap by comparison to others.

http://www.excess-baggage.com
Cheers for that link. I have discovered Emirates allow 30kg standard.. What is their rep like?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Cheers for that link. I have discovered Emirates allow 30kg standard.. What is their rep like?
I read they are great at business class but provide weak service in economy. I can't find the link now but there is a website which assesses every airline for flights from London to Australia, including how they rate for service in each class and such anal detail as which are the best seats on each of the planes each airline uses.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates by far one of the best in economy, Singapore are actually pretty bad, one of the most over-rated airlines in existence.

If you want loads of baggage, fly via the States on Air NZ and get 46kg.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Skytrax is a probably the most respected airline and airport review site.

I am going through the same dilemma in requiring 30kgs between the UK and Aus. The options are pretty limited - it's basically Emirates, Air Asia (but only until March - & have to pay for lots of extras), or a combination of Saudi and then Air Asia or Jetstar from Singapore or KL.

BA has quite a reasonable flat fee for extra baggage if you pre-pay (about £40), but be careful if code sharing on a Qantas plane (as many do) as it's not 100% clear whether the £40 rate applies then. The Qantas excess rates are pretty punitive.

I have flown Emirates plenty of times and in my experience they're fine, as good as the better Asian airlines (except poss. Singapore). Dubai Airport is an unpleasant place to transit, however. In fact for a brand new facility it is nothing short of a national disgrace.

Last edited by DC10; Feb 10th 2012 at 2:54 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Emirates by far one of the best in economy, Singapore are actually pretty bad, one of the most over-rated airlines in existence.

If you want loads of baggage, fly via the States on Air NZ and get 46kg.
Hasn't been the case for some time. NZ normalised it's allowance across its long haul network, no more separate rules for the Americans...everyone gets 1 bag max 23kg.

Extra bag charges are reasonable though.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/excess-baggage-uk

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 10th 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I find Emirates every bit as good as SQ...better in some respects.

Some people seem to have an issue with the high density seating on their 777s - one extra seat per row compared to SQ.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
I find Emirates every bit as good as SQ...better in some respects.

Some people seem to have an issue with the high density seating on their 777s - one extra seat per row compared to SQ.

Cheers!!

The frustrating thing now. Singapore has the best flying schedules. Emirates and Qatar have shocking stop overs... Aaarrgghh!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Cheers!!

The frustrating thing now. Singapore has the best flying schedules. Emirates and Qatar have shocking stop overs... Aaarrgghh!!
From where to where? EK has so many flights now most UK cities offer at least one short connection. Sometimes it's buried on page 28 of the search results cos it's 10p more expensive!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Manchester > Brisbane leaving 7th march..
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:26 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Manchester > Brisbane leaving 7th march..
Well it looks like EK offers the shortest overall duration of the lot. The SQ flight from MAN stops in Munich too (sometimes on the grass!). Is the SQ flight much cheaper?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emirates is 820, Qatar 780 and Singapore 590!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown both Emirates and Singapore and both are very good. I try to fly SQ when I can as they are just a cut above the rest and really look after you.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:58 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

EK offered the best times for me going in June

km

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.