Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back from validation trip to Adelaide

Back from validation trip to Adelaide

Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:35 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Back from validation trip to Adelaide

Hi all,

Just got back yesterday from Adelaide, we had a fantastic time.

The weather was great, on my birthday (14 Feb) Adelaide had its hottest day since 1939 - it reached 44.3 degrees!

I bought a car so we could get around, and discovered I like driving on Adelaide's roads much better than here. We went out to the Barossa valley and a few other places around Adelaide but didn't do too many of the touristy things as I wanted the girls to get an idea of what day to day life is like, so for example we took the local bus and train into the city a few times.

I checked out my job prospects with a few agencies - it seems my experience and my salary requirements should make it fairly straightforward to find a job, and I've made a few contacts who are keen to see my resume a bit nearer the time and interview me as soon as I get back to Adelaide for good.

Where to live depends partly on where I end up working, but I quite liked some of the northern suburbs, although we didn't get round to looking around the south of the city very much.

I think Adelaide's cost advantage over some of the other cities is disappearing, but I still like it a lot as it's compact and the climate suits me.

Can't wait to get back there in September, subject to selling the house and getting the girls settled beforehand (both still want to stay here even after the validation trip).

Anyone got any advice on shipping companies for boxes/tea chests rather than a container load? I'm hoping to send some stuff over to my sister's in advance but it'll be just small stuff.

Finally, it's good to be back on the forum - I've missed you all terribly! Any really exciting things happen while I was away?

Elaine M
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from validation trip to Adelaide

Wellcome back Elaine
Glad you enjoyed the trip so much.

So you didn't meet any other Expats then

I checked out my job prospects with a few agencies - it seems my experience and my salary requirements should make it fairly straightforward to find a job
Well I suppose they can afford another tealady

I've made a few contacts who are keen to see my resume
Don't you trust those Bruces mind

I think Adelaide's cost advantage over some of the other cities is disappearing Bloody immigrants making the prices go through the roof

girls both still want to stay here even after the validation trip

Finally, it's good to be back on the forum - I've missed you all terribly! Any really exciting things happen while I was away?
No not really - the star has been away
Old Mar 9th 2004, 7:48 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi Bix,

Just to set the record straight:

So you didn't meet any other Expats then

Actually, yes I did - met up with Elaine and Howard, and still had a great time - so there! (Although Howard is an accountant like me, so I would say that....)

I checked out my job prospects with a few agencies - it seems my experience and my salary requirements should make it fairly straightforward to find a job
Well I suppose they can afford another tealady

I'll be happy to be a tea lady if they'll pay me what I need to get a nice house and support myself in the style to which I'm determined to get accustomed!

I've made a few contacts who are keen to see my resume
Don't you trust those Bruces mind

As a matter of fact, TRAVIS sounded really nice...... didn't meet a Bruce at all (I do know a Ron though)

No not really - the star has been away [/QUOTE]

Why, where has WBB been?

Have you heard any more from your sponsor for your 457 visa yet?

Elaine
Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Elaine,

Great to hear that your trip to Adelaide went well, where abouts are you moving from? I ask this as I'm concerned that my children 14 & 16 may find it quiet. We live in Berkshire and are hoping to be in Adelaide by Xmas.

Husbands a Carpenter so I'm hoping his prospects will be OK, we've been told by his Uncle (also lives in Adelaide) that he will be in demand.

Thanks

T
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:12 pm

Hi Ozzy dog,

I'm moving from a small town in Yorkshire, 16 miles from Leeds.

I'm sure your kids will find plenty to do, if that's your worry. I spotted a laserquest venue, there's bowling, the Snowdome if they want to go ice skating, plenty of cinemas around (I understand the Westfield Marion shopping centre has 30 screens), lots of shopping malls and there's the nightlife when they're a bit older. A lot of young people seem to meet up in places like Glenelg for coffee or a meal.

If there's anything specific you want to know, let me know and I can ask my sister for you. Her kids were a little younger than yours when she emigrated and they are fully settled now with no desire to return to the UK.

I'm hoping to be back in Adelaide for good by September, so with luck we could meet up when you get there!

Elaine