Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do they unpack for everything for u?

do they unpack for everything for u?

Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do they unpack for everything for u?

for those who have moved-

do the movers unpack everything for you or do they just move the boxes to the appropriate rooms for you to unpack at your own time?

also what did you do with the tonnes of boxes after the move - do you get the movers to come pick them up or do you arrange with a disposal company?

cuthere
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:55 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We have used Crown relocations. The shipment is due at the end of the month so none of this is definite.
The packers back in the uk said that the boxes will be delivered and unpacked if asked for. Some people prefer to unpack some of the boxes, particularly smaller nick naks. Usually the larger items are unpacked.
They will take the empty boxes away with them. All in all a fairly complete service, and we've no reason to doubt them.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:57 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by Crown in the UK that they would unpack and even rebuild the flatpacked furniture - none of which actually happened this end
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:01 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Ah i see, they'll tell you anything if it's what you want to hear.
Well they'll have to answer to Jules if they think they can get away with just dumping the boxes in the hallway.
I'll let you know what happens.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't there when the stuff was delivered but my wife reckons the Ozzie deliverers were, lets say, a little suprised when asked to reassemble the flatpack - they instead left us with a box of tools (bloody Ikea furniture.....)!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We used John Mason and they unpacked what I asked them to which was quite a lot. I did all the crockery etc and linen. They took away all the wrapping that was cast off that day and came back & collected everything else a few weeks later when I finally got to the bottom of what I had been unpacking.

They were very good.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:16 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

They said they would unpack, but not put away, so I was faced with the prospect of 30 boxes or millions of individual items scattered over the house.

I got them to unpack fragile things, so I could see if there were broken or not, but that turned out to be a waste of time, because even though there were damaged items, the company this end did nothing about it.

Also, its handy to just keep the boxes, for when you move to your own house from rented.

Jane
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Good point about the boxes. We moved straight to our house and I am never moving again EVER!!! so I didn't want to see a sodding packing box again
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the replies. even if they promise to unpack for you in the agreement and they don't - i can't see how you can make them accountable for the lack of service promised. payments at that time would have been out of the door and besides yelling at the moving manager that you saw a million miles away, what can you possibly do???
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We used Allied Pickfords, they are over here as well as in the UK, so we thought that would make it easier to deal with any problems. Well there weren't any. We asked for a full unpack, then at least any breakages would be seen by the delivery men as well. They carried each box to the appropriate room, ie the kitchen stuff was unpacked in the kitchen, the bedroom stuff in the bedrooms. We didn't bring any furniture with us, so things like ornaments that didn't have anywhere to go yet, they unpacked, checked for damage, then repacked. Likewise all our books had to go back in the boxes because we were waiting for new bookshelves to be delivered. The delivery men neatly stacked all the repacked boxes in the spare room. The boxes that took longest to unpack were the childrens toys, the blokes kept playing with them and reminiscing about their childhood! Our total claim for damages was about £300 and the cheque was sent promptly.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:42 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Normally they will unwrap all the furniture but they will not unpack the boxes UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOKED THE DE LUXE SERVICE then they unpack and put away in cupboards They also take away all the packing ready at the time and if you are unpacking your own boxes at the time scale you require they give you10 days to phone them and then they come and pick up all the other empty boxes and paper I would not like anyone to unpack my stuff I need to see where I put it away and then perhaps I will remember
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by yafm
Normally they will unwrap all the furniture but they will not unpack the boxes UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOKED THE DE LUXE SERVICE then they unpack and put away in cupboards They also take away all the packing ready at the time and if you are unpacking your own boxes at the time scale you require they give you10 days to phone them and then they come and pick up all the other empty boxes and paper I would not like anyone to unpack my stuff I need to see where I put it away and then perhaps I will remember

mmm....not sure whether the movers will appreciate my cutesy undies.......
Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

PSS unloaded all of the things and we just got them to unwrap the furniture and put it in place. It would have taken them double the time if everything was unpacked as we had a full container. Asit was it took over 4 hours!

They took lots of wrappings with them and will come back to collect the rest if we ring up.

We have 14 days to claim with the insurance, they said just take a photo of any damages and send them off.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do they unpack for everything for u?

Originally posted by cuthere

do the movers unpack everything for you or do they just move the boxes to the appropriate rooms for you to unpack at your own time?

also what did you do with the tonnes of boxes after the move - do you get the movers to come pick them up or do you arrange with a disposal company?

cuthere
we moved from Singapore with "sante fe" to uk and "Stirling" unpacked for us. it was fantasic. I walked around telling then where to put things. We had lots of men removing the boxes from the container the first day and they took the boxes away with them. The second day-yes we had a 40ft container full- 2 ladies arrived from"stirling" to unpack the kitchen boxes and the clothes. Brilliant- worth every cent!
If/when we go to oz I would do the same. There were only a couple of screws missing from a roll out bed, and the repair man from stirling came the next day with spare screws!! no breakages.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:19 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do they unpack for everything for u?

Originally posted by cuthere

cuthere
It is generally in the agreement, that the delivery crew unpack to bench top, if you pay for valet service ,the crew put the stuff away. Removal of debris is also part of the agreement. If they don,t do this then you have wasted money. ............ MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.