Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

back in the UK - this is how it feels

Wikiposts

back in the UK - this is how it feels

Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:46 am
Just Joined

sarn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: be as children live for now!!

Originally posted by Tapalinga
Why must we keep bashing either country oz/uk. It's not a matter of which one is better, or which one has the best education system. It's about us, people living together and just loving everyday. Just like kids they don't really give a dam about tomorrow, or if its cold/sunny they just live and laugh and play for today. Throw your worries away and just BE in the moment. Try not to put everything into perspective. Listen to your intuition and you won't go wrong.

Well said, life is toooo short. You don't know what is around the corner, so live for today!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:12 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
We have been back 18 days now and it feels like we have never been away. The people here are no different to Perth, here when it rains people moan, in Perth when its hot people moan.

The balance of happy and miserable people is the same, walking around the supermarket the other day I made a consious effort to look at people and see if there was any difference, the only noticeable difference is people not wearing summer clothes.

Cost of living for us here is far cheaper, just let one of our houses to a guy from Brisbane, says he lives here because its cheaper and the money he saves here will pay for his retirement in Brisbane.

Coming back has given us a lot more choices in life which may not have happened had we never gone to Perth.

The weather here the last week has been drizzle and a few times I found myself thinking about the sun in Perth, traffic is busy, but driving standards far higher and driving is less stresfull.

The thing is I can now appreciate is why some people find Australia is right for them because as I have been out and about looking for various things I now take more notice of different areas and can see the appeal for open space etc.

For those that feel they should return due to homesickness, missing family etc. (we were never homesick) you will find after 5 days nothing has changed and its as if you were never away. Its good to see them again but thats about it. Its scary how some peoples lives do not change.

Donna is back at work and after 8 months off is finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning. for me staying in bed until 11am is not such an adjustment.

The things we find have changed for us is tele, we dont bother watching it now, where as before it probably ruled what we did, also we find we no longer have a need for flashy cars, where as before I liked a nice car loads of money sat on the drive depreciating, just went out and bought a 1990 Audi 100 2.3 auto with 58k on clock one owner £800 !! its immaculate.

So I guess the migration thing even when it does not work out can have a positive benefit. The biggest problem for Donna and myself is she wants to be settled for a while and ready for the off to places new. Not to live just to explore.

Biggest shock coming back here is house prices. The house we sold went up 40k in 7 months. :scared: :scared:

Hiya

Good honest posting...I see miserable looking people here in OZ many a time..I would worry if they all walked round grinning wouldn't you.!! ekkkkkk anyway just really wanted to ask you why you went back to the UK and what part have you gone back to?

We are heading home this August and I have been checking out second hand cars on Autotrader etc and can't believe how much cheaper they seem to be now ( I have only been away 21/2 years)!!So we will be billy bargain hunters for cars when we get home !!

Are you happy to be back??( hope that's not a daft question )How long were you in Perth for??

My Aussie hubby and I ( sound bit like the queen eh!!lol) can't wait to be settled for a good few years...we seem to have been on the move for the last 5yrs and feel we need to put a few roots down for a while.yipppeeeee

Pants
Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:51 pm
Badge

can see the appeal for open space etc.

we find we no longer have a need for flashy cars, where as before I liked a nice car loads of money sat on the drive depreciating, just went out and bought a 1990 Audi 100 2.3 auto with 58k on clock one owner £800 !! its immaculate.
BRILLANT mate.

People do need space, I would seek the space. Happy people?Yeah depends where you are.

I love a shiny new sports car, but there's nothing worse than seeing the next door neighbours falling over themselves to spend the equity in their house (which will be passed off on to some poor first time buyer) just so they can buy a brand new ...latest euro-styled Ford Fiesta....yuck.

Might as well stick with your Audi. If I lived in a posh suburb of London I would take great delight in running an old ute or something!!

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

The balance of happy and miserable people is the same, walking around the supermarket the other day I made a consious effort to look at people and see if there was any difference...
So I'm not the only person who did this!

I agree - the same mix of happy and miserable looking people; in Oz and UK.

Similarly, I have found the same mix of good and bad service. Except banks. I find banks in the UK better than Oz - and I thought UK banks were bad...
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:17 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by MikeStanton
So I'm not the only person who did this!

I agree - the same mix of happy and miserable looking people; in Oz and UK.

Similarly, I have found the same mix of good and bad service. Except banks. I find banks in the UK better than Oz - and I thought UK banks were bad...
Hi Mike

Good to hear you are enjoying your return to UK. It's important we "fit" ..........wherever this may be in the world

Re banks in UK: We are with the Yorkshire bank. Hubby refers to them as "Billy Smart banking" [with Yorkshire bank....everything's a Circus!!]

As you can imagine........I'm looking fwd to hubby's response re Oz
banks then!!:scared:

All the best & hope you continue to be happy in UK Mike

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:01 am
Just Joined

lally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: back in the UK - this is how it feels

Originally posted by sparky12
We've just returned to the UK from a 2 year secondment in Brisbane with young (pre school) family in tow. We were tempted to make it permanent on Oz but decided to come home last month to see how we felt before deciding what to do.

Finding settling back here quite hard and that's ignoring the weather- forgotten just how fed up SO MANY people look, how much more "in your face" the social problems that bedevil any big City (drink, drugs, crime generally) seem to be, also noticed how a service culture doesn't exist over here which isn't a major issue but it is very striking when you get back from Oz.

Now faced with the longer term choice of bringing kids up in Oz or the UK and balancing the benefits of having family close at hand (for us as parents but also for the kids themselves) or potentially giving the children a better education (maybe?) and certainly a better environment in which to grow up.

Be really interested to hear others views, especially around how they felt on returning to the UK and what choices were made and how its worked out. Also interested in views on education here and in Oz.

For what its worth, I hate people knocking the UK and also there was a lot about Brissy and Oz that frustrated me BUT the above is just an honest account of how it feels at the moment.

Hi Guys

Firstly hope you are enjoying your life back with your parents/grandparents and they are enjoying having their grandchildren back!

We lived in Perth for 4 years between 1987 and 1991 - I never really wanted to come and never intended settling here (which I didn't and eventually returned in 1991 with a 20 month old daughter and pregnant with my son) - When I left I knew that I would never return to live! ( however I loved Perth, but missed my family more)

We went home for 11 years, some of them great years some of them awful (during this time, my son died of major heart probems) Thankfully I had my family and friends there, without whom I know I would never have coped and to this day eternally grateful.

For the 11 years we were home, I never regretted going back, however life at times was very grey.

We eventually decided to return for a holiday (only after neighbours came on holiday for a look and are now emigrating to Melbourne!) told me I was mad! - We came, we looked, we saw, we gave the children an opportunity to look and see.......

2 years later we are back (we returned last feb). I still had a fantastic relationship with my family, but we decided that there was more here for our kids......

The girls are all really happy in school. The eldest goes to a private school (not for any one reason, except a friends child was already there and it was close to where we wanted to live!) She gets to do, surfing, orienteerinng, swimming at school, and although the academic side is challenging, there is enough creative subjects for her not to get too stressed.

The younger girls go to school in shorts, they have lots of sports, were involved in the joondalup festival, go swimming at the beach, do jungle gym etc..... daugher number 2 is not academic, but seems to have really found herself here, she is thriving........

So do we miss our family/friends?? - Of course we do, but we wouldn't go back.... I ring my friends/family when ever I want (every other day maybe, but more at weekends) we have email, messenger and webcam..... at times it seems that we speak more now to people than we did before.

Anyhow, enouugh of my story, just hope that it might help you get a perspective on what to do next......

Good Luck, whatever you decide
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:06 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

For those that feel they should return due to homesickness, missing family etc. (we were never homesick) you will find after 5 days nothing has changed and its as if you were never away. Its good to see them again but thats about it.

We are returning and the homesickness is one of the main factors. I know that meeting up with friends and family again will be a bit of an anti climax and that their lives have gone on regardless of where we were in the world.

One of the other reasons is work. My husband has certainly taken a big pay cut and that is a big factor to our lifestyle. Me not being able to get the work I wanted was also very dissapointing. Although I don't have professional qualifications I feel I can get more pleasure out of working in the UK than I can here.

We will be taking home with us a more laid back approach to our lives in the UK. What we have learnt whilst being here is priceless.

It's opened our eyes to what 'our' life is about and that is being happy, in Perth we are not.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:59 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray

It's opened our eyes to what 'our' life is about and that is being happy, in Perth we are not.
Good for you, Janey.

My whole life I've said that all I ever wanted to be was happy, and people have always looked at me as if I was mad!

Jane