Reload this Page >

back in the UK - this is how it feels

Wikiposts

back in the UK - this is how it feels

Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default back in the UK - this is how it feels

We've just returned to the UK from a 2 year secondment in Brisbane with young (pre school) family in tow. We were tempted to make it permanent on Oz but decided to come home last month to see how we felt before deciding what to do.

Finding settling back here quite hard and that's ignoring the weather- forgotten just how fed up SO MANY people look, how much more "in your face" the social problems that bedevil any big City (drink, drugs, crime generally) seem to be, also noticed how a service culture doesn't exist over here which isn't a major issue but it is very striking when you get back from Oz.

Now faced with the longer term choice of bringing kids up in Oz or the UK and balancing the benefits of having family close at hand (for us as parents but also for the kids themselves) or potentially giving the children a better education (maybe?) and certainly a better environment in which to grow up.

Be really interested to hear others views, especially around how they felt on returning to the UK and what choices were made and how its worked out. Also interested in views on education here and in Oz.

For what its worth, I hate people knocking the UK and also there was a lot about Brissy and Oz that frustrated me BUT the above is just an honest account of how it feels at the moment.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: back in the UK - this is how it feels

HIya there
I am an Aussie teacher and have been teaching in the UK for 3 years.
Please only take this as my personal opinion, but there is no way I would let my kids stay in a UK school.
I dont know if you saw it on the news yesterday but a teacher is abused every 7 minutes, and by god, I tell you its no lie. I teach 7- 11 year olds and I have been hit, sworn at, attacked, kicked, children are different here in a social spectrum than they were at home.
Plus the whole education system is so boring. After teaching in it 3 years I am bored of it! How do children cope with it day in and day out for seven years? The tests, SATS, 11+, its just unrealistic. It seems the entire enducation system is geared for two tests to measure the pupils progress. Infact they dont even call it that within schools they call it 'value added data'... which I dont feel is an appropriate term.
Its completely up to you, and I have taught in nice, cushy, posh schools and rough and tough schools and there is no way I would have my children in the UK system!! no way....
This is only my personal opinion, please no one abuse me!
Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:52 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jasper pentop
HIya there
I am an Aussie teacher and have been teaching in the UK for 3 years.
Please only take this as my personal opinion, but there is no way I would let my kids stay in a UK school.
I dont know if you saw it on the news yesterday but a teacher is abused every 7 minutes, and by god, I tell you its no lie. I teach 7- 11 year olds and I have been hit, sworn at, attacked, kicked, children are different here in a social spectrum than they were at home.
Plus the whole education system is so boring. After teaching in it 3 years I am bored of it! How do children cope with it day in and day out for seven years? The tests, SATS, 11+, its just unrealistic. It seems the entire enducation system is geared for two tests to measure the pupils progress. Infact they dont even call it that within schools they call it 'value added data'... which I dont feel is an appropriate term.
Its completely up to you, and I have taught in nice, cushy, posh schools and rough and tough schools and there is no way I would have my children in the UK system!! no way....
This is only my personal opinion, please no one abuse me!

Just because I think its wrong that 'we' constantly put the UK down (though on the same point I do agree there are a lot of things that could be improved on!)

I spent my entire education, from age 5 to age 22 in the UK, its done me no harm that I can see! I do think I went to a fairly 'good' school and there are not many problems in my area. The worst thing a kid at my school would have ever done was bunked off early or not done their homework... I can only remember one occassion seeing a teacher get upset and never ever seen anything such as JP has been unfortunate enough to experience (though I do understand from teacher friends and the press that it is quite common.) perhaps its got worse since I was at school? If thats the case maybe that problem will appear in Australian schools in future years as well?

To the original post though I do think Australian kids have it pretty good at school; I know my boyfriends' daughter who is 9 has homework every night of the week (I'm pretty sure I didnt have this when I was that age) but its balanced off with a lot more sport - work hard, play hard!

Who knows, I think a lot of it is down to the child themselves as to how much they actually want to learn.

Anyway, is all just I.M.O!!
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post. Would like to hear more of these views as we often get the negative posts from those wishing to return to the UK, but not the other perspective. Don't get me wrong, I think its important to have a balanced perspective and not to hear just positives about Australia but I wonder if the negatives are also very biased as it is just the views of those who 'tried it and didn't like it', please keep this thread going and lets hope the negative posters don't take over the thread!
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post. Where are you settling back in the UK? Does it feel like you are returning home?

I did the working holiday out here and returned to the UK for a few years with the fiance. We both could live either end of the planet. We came back here to give it another go, not because of anything wrong with the UK.

For education Australia and the UK are of similiar standing but it depends on the schools you are able to send your kids to. The UK does seem to have gone test crazy but I think it is only a matter of time until politics pushes Australia the same way.

IMO I do not think there is a problem with bringing up kids in the UK. Childhood obesity is a problem here (as in the UK)and coming to Australia will not prevent your kids becoming a playstation junkie. They may become better swimmers but unless they are inclined to do sport I doubt they are better off here.

When the kids get to 14 and 15 and want to get places the lack of public transport becomes an issue.

Personally I would go to wherever you and the family feel happiest and most at home. You can provide excellent opportunities for your children at both ends of the planet.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 12:37 pm
Badge

Originally posted by sparky12
Finding settling back here quite hard and that's ignoring the weather- forgotten just how fed up SO MANY people look
That was the biggest shock for me - the way people look 'different' - their defensive body language, mannerisms, their facial expressions - its all very "I don't exist".

You get on public transport and it's like "Cheer up you buggers!"

BM

Old Apr 17th 2004, 12:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by sparky12
Finding settling back here quite hard and that's ignoring the weather- forgotten just how fed up SO MANY people look, how much more "in your face" the social problems that bedevil any big City (drink, drugs, crime generally) seem to be, also noticed how a service culture doesn't exist over here which isn't a major issue but it is very striking when you get back from Oz.
I spent 10 years in OZ before returning to the UK, and I really thought that the UK would be better than OZ when I got back. Except for the weather of course (But i had even forgotten just how bad the winters can get )

I lasted 4 years in the UK before having to come back to OZ again, and now i've decided that I do prefer OZ, especialy Brisbane Bayside area. ( I was in Sydney for the first 10 years)

It's a pity that we can't take the good things from both countries, and combine them to make one even better country

But until then, we have to make the choice, (if we are lucky enough to get the choice), about which country suits us as individuals.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 12:56 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jamesy
Interesting post. Would like to hear more of these views as we often get the negative posts from those wishing to return to the UK, but not the other perspective. Don't get me wrong, I think its important to have a balanced perspective and not to hear just positives about Australia but I wonder if the negatives are also very biased as it is just the views of those who 'tried it and didn't like it', please keep this thread going and lets hope the negative posters don't take over the thread!
I am not anticipating that OZ will have a lot less negatives than here in the UK.
What I am anticipating is less of the things that I personally find negative.
One of those things is the attitude of the people. I've met a lot of people from OZ added to what I've seen and heard and I do believe the people have a much more relaxed and happier outlook on life.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 1:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Jamesy
Don't get me wrong, I think its important to have a balanced perspective and not to hear just positives about Australia but I wonder if the negatives are also very biased as it is just the views of those who 'tried it and didn't like it', please keep this thread going and lets hope the negative posters don't take over the thread!
Jamesy
I am very glad that these forums weren't around when I was leaving OZ after my first stint here. Otherwise I would be feeling very embarrased now !

You used the words "I wonder if the negatives are also very biased ", and that made me do this reply, a little bit out of guilt.
My negatives were biased at that time. I blamed the country for all my problems. And I didn't mind who I told!

But now I can see both sides of the fence....

Old Apr 17th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Bixxie - I agree with you. I am not expecting OZ to be anything perfect. I already know that it will be hard for my husband to get a job and that is why we have decided to start our own busýness as I could not stand the stress of trying to find a job for a couple of years

As far as the education goes, I know nothing about the current UK education system as I have not been here for the past decade.

Aus is only a plane ride away and if we dont like it we will come back - who cares what anyone says
Old Apr 17th 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Please could some one tell me what IMO stands for
Old Apr 17th 2004, 6:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JJL family
Please could some one tell me what IMO stands for
IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO is In My Humble Opinion
Old Apr 17th 2004, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bondipom
Interesting post. Where are you settling back in the UK? Does it feel like you are returning home?

Returned last month in fact, to Scotland. It does feel like "home" still but as per my original post, being away for only a couple of years opens your eyes to seeing the place a bit differently when you get back.

The "quality" of the education systems isn't so much the issue as I'm sure both systems produce excellent kids and not so excellent kids. Its more the social and cultural environment in which the children are educated that concernes me a bit being back home.

I suspect we are just going through what so many people must go through when considering options and it'll all come down to personal choices in the end
Old Apr 17th 2004, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default be as children live for now!!

Why must we keep bashing either country oz/uk. It's not a matter of which one is better, or which one has the best education system. It's about us, people living together and just loving everyday. Just like kids they don't really give a dam about tomorrow, or if its cold/sunny they just live and laugh and play for today. Throw your worries away and just BE in the moment. Try not to put everything into perspective. Listen to your intuition and you won't go wrong.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: be as children live for now!!

Originally posted by Tapalinga
Why must we keep bashing either country oz/uk. It's not a matter of which one is better, or which one has the best education system. It's about us, people living together and just loving everyday. Just like kids they don't really give a dam about tomorrow, or if its cold/sunny they just live and laugh and play for today. Throw your worries away and just BE in the moment. Try not to put everything into perspective. Listen to your intuition and you won't go wrong.

Alot of truth in that I wish we could think like kids do sometimes I suppose as parents with so much responsibility we tend to take life too seriously maybe when we get to Oz the laid back aproach may be a really good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.