Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be aware of this rule - one way travel

Be aware of this rule - one way travel

Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

stela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nice
Angry Re: Be aware of this rule - one way travel

Originally Posted by Philhowe
Hi all,

I booked one way flights for my family and I to Brisbane earlier this week, fully expecting to take advantage of the 45kg baggage allowance for migrant travellers.

Today I received a phone call to say that the airline has revoked this option because we have already entered Australia during our validation trip and therefore we are no longer subject to the luggage allowance.

I did argue that we have never entered as migrants only as visitors through the validation process but they still would not allow the extra weight. I just don’t know how I’m going to get my wife’s 800 pairs of shoes on the plane now

Has this happened to you, if so, did you get it resolved?

Phil & family

Hi Phil, Yep, we booked our flights with Singapore Airlines recently, they told us you only get the allowance with an 'unused Migrant Visa', so not entitled to the extra allowance:curse:, we went on our reccy & valadated last march...

stela
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Be aware of this rule - one way travel

So this begs the question of using a new passport!! If you went out on a reccie and validated your visa but since then your passport has/is nearly expired, what then? Can this work? Anyone tried it??

I knew there was more to my existence than I gave myself credit for!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inOz2008
So this begs the question of using a new passport!! If you went out on a reccie and validated your visa but since then your passport has/is nearly expired, what then? Can this work? Anyone tried it??

I knew there was more to my existence than I gave myself credit for!!!
Your visa is what counts, not your passport. Its an unvalidated visa that generally decides your baggage allowance, getting a new passport is irrelevant.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - given that the original visas are stamped in the old passport, does the Aus Embassy transfer a "used" visa into your new passport (we need a new british passport as old one is expiring in a few months!) or would it appear as "new" visa in the new passport and therefore to the airline you are entering as a migrant for the first time?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - given that the original visas are stamped in the old passport, does the Aus Embassy transfer a "used" visa into your new passport (we need a new british passport as old one is expiring in a few months!) or would it appear as "new" visa in the new passport and therefore to the airline you are entering as a migrant for the first time?
They will, on request, put a new sticker in the new passport, but it isn't a new visa - still has the same visa number, and will show in the database as having already beenn validated.
The only way to get a new unvalidated visa is to apply again, which is probably more expsnsiee than paying for the excess baggage!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They will, on request, put a new sticker in the new passport, but it isn't a new visa - still has the same visa number, and will show in the database as having already beenn validated.
Sorry for being a plank but I presume the database you talk about refers to one being owned/maintained by the Aus immigration dept - how would airlines have access to this?

Or are you implying link between wordings on the sticker stating "initial entry no later than xx" and that the agent on the desk at the airline counter will read this and figure out this is an old visa in a new passport therefore no extra baggage allowance?

I agree that its not a new visa and it is pointless reapplying.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We found out the day before we left that we didn't get the 40kg as we were on temp visas so just dumped a load at FIL's. However, our hand baggage ended up being VERY heavy due to this, so we left a couple of bags with the rellys who had taken us to the airport while we checked in and tried not to stagger with them when we were getting on the plane! Big naughty but with a 2 & 3 yr old we were desperate to take some of the stuff.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of asking for extra baggage allowance, how about packing only the minimum you need. Ship or post anything else that you can wait a few weeks for. If you really need more than what is allowed free, then be prepared to pay. Singapore Airlines, though they normally give migrants 40 kilo allowance, they aren't obligated to. They can refuse you if you haven't got it in writing and the flight's fully loaded.

There are shops in Australia you know. It might just be cheaper to buy stuff here than to pay extra for the baggage.

Think of the whole baggage thing as part of the cost of migration.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for being a plank but I presume the database you talk about refers to one being owned/maintained by the Aus immigration dept - how would airlines have access to this?
Yes, airlines do have access to the visa database at check-in. Clearly they can't see all your personal details however they can supply your name, passport number etc and receive back confirmation as to whether you have a valid visa allowing travel to Australia....this may or may not also indicate if your PR visa is already validated.

This is important for the airlines because if they fly you to Oz and on entry you don't hold a valid visa the airline is responsible for the cost of sending you back to the point of origin.